• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC Aulani Perks/Discounts

We live on Oahu and own points at BCV, BWV, VWL and AKL :thumbsup2

Was able to book ressies for this weekend as well as November within the 7 month window. Since we live 30 mins away, we feel that we don't need to own Aulani points since we can book last minute ressies.

Hawaii maint fees tend to be high at all timeshare resorts across the islands.

Right now, we don't feel the need to own Aulani points as our other DVC points work just fine for what we need.

We live on Oahu and own points at BCV, BWV, VWL and AKL :thumbsup2

Was able to book ressies for this weekend as well as November within the 7 month window. Since we live 30 mins away, we feel that we don't need to own Aulani points since we can book last minute ressies.

Hawaii maint fees tend to be high at all timeshare resorts across the islands.

Right now, we don't feel the need to own Aulani points as our other DVC points work just fine for what we need.

Agree on this. We live over by the airport and own at BLT and SSR. There is no need for us to buy Aulani right now. We check-in tomorrow.

Thank Jeff for the very detailed review!:goodvibes:goodvibes

Such a great thing to look forward to!:thumbsup2
10 nights Sept/Oct.2013(Haven't yet decided)..30th Anniversary, God Willing!:love::love::love::love:

This resort looks so so outstanding! I'm not concerned that we'll get Ko Alina at 7 months! Think we'll do the oceanfront studio...Should be SO SO AWESOME! FIRST CHILDLESS VACATION IN 30 YEARS!:thumbsup2

All the pics of Ko Alina Aulani look gorgeous beyond words!:yay::woohoo::woohoo:

When we stayed at the Mariott Ko Olina several years ago there were 3 coves that you could snorkel in. I'm not sure how the snorkeling was -- I was 3 months pregnant at the time and the only nauseating experience I had was when I tried to snorkel! Are there still areas on the beach that you could snorkel in for free?

Snorkeling in the coves tends to be pretty murky - it clears up quite a bit outside the coves but the wave action can be quite fierce depending on the conditions and certainly wouldn't be for beginners. But yes, in the coves would be free. :)

Jeff

Planning on staying 10 nights June 2012. Do you happen to know if the $99 length of stay include beach chairs and umbrellas or just snorkel gear?

Thanks for all of the information provided thus far.

Jeff

Planning on staying 10 nights June 2012. Do you happen to know if the $99 length of stay include beach chairs and umbrellas or just snorkel gear?

Thanks for all of the information provided thus far.

My pleasure. Any local information, I will gladly provide.

Oooh, good question. I have to guess for now, that it's just the snorkel gear for Rainbow Reef. I'll try to remember to ask in 2 weeks when we go back.

There are beach attendants that have a shack down at the beach cove. I didn't go down there to poke around, but I saw paddleboards, and beach lounge chairs.

At the pools, there are hundreds of lounge chairs that are free. They also have cabana rentals, but I didn't inquire about the fees.

There are two local companies that rents all kinds of beach gear, baby gear, and they even deliver and pick up. I don't have any experience of how good they are.

http://www.travelbabees.com/(S(zqblzvvqappfilaqwpb33pyi))/

http://hawaiibeachtime.com/

One other thing, the Purple Locker company that rents storage bins in WDW... the owner hasn't decided if he will expand that service here. I personally spoke to him in January, 2011 when I was there. I told him to contact me if he planned on starting it up here, and I'd work part time for him. LOL.

SIDE NOTE: I'm leaving today for Disneyland to run the half marathon. I won't be around to answer questions until next week. Not taking the laptop with me, so save your questions about Hawaii/Aulani until then.

thanks Jeff awaiting your return as we are going to celebrate our 25th anniversary 3rd week of Sept. we would love to hear more , any info would be great .

Great review Jeff!!

My family will be arriving on the 8th of January and staying for 13 days so the costs of the snorkeling/rental etc isn't so bad. I'm wondering about the $99 pass though, can I only get one chair/umbrella? Or would me and wife both need passes to get 2 chairs? I'd rather just get the one individual pass and then 3 passes for the rest of the family. I hope I'm making sense!

I do hope that there are some perks by that time as well! Still contemplating whether I need a car for the whole stay not? Is there enough to do at Aulani for 13 days? My children are 7 and 4, so not quite sure.... My past stays in Hawaii, I've always had a car for food runs and such, any suggestions?

They even thought of those who have an electric car. This is in the parking lot. But of course you must insert your credit card. LOL, the mouse gets his cheese.

d122192a.jpg

41b8a2c4.jpg

The $99 offer has been discontinued for several weeks. No word if the price is being adjusted, or they've done away with it permanently.

Last night (10/10/11) the sign at the Rainbow Reef showed this change on the snorkel experience.

The sign no longer has any info on the chair/umbrella/beach equipment.

c4cc5d7b.jpg

You can rent a car from Alamo, and drop it off at Aulani. Then rent for the day at Aulani that you need to go sightseeing, and return it back at the end of the day. You want to avoid paying $35 a day for parking.

Great review Jeff!!

My family will be arriving on the 8th of January and staying for 13 days so the costs of the snorkeling/rental etc isn't so bad. I'm wondering about the $99 pass though, can I only get one chair/umbrella? Or would me and wife both need passes to get 2 chairs? I'd rather just get the one individual pass and then 3 passes for the rest of the family. I hope I'm making sense!

I do hope that there are some perks by that time as well! Still contemplating whether I need a car for the whole stay not? Is there enough to do at Aulani for 13 days? My children are 7 and 4, so not quite sure.... My past stays in Hawaii, I've always had a car for food runs and such, any suggestions?

This will be our first trip but based on what everyone here on the boards says we decided to rent a car. My suggestion for you is to do the same :car:

The $99 offer has been discontinued for several weeks. No word if the price is being adjusted, or they've done away with it permanently.

Last night (10/10/11) the sign at the Rainbow Reef showed this change on the snorkel experience.

The sign no longer has any info on the chair/umbrella/beach equipment.

c4cc5d7b.jpg

Thank you for the update. I'm super disappointed about this. I was really looking forward to taking advantage of the length-of-stay pass. Hopefully they're just tweaking the price. I can live with $150-200 because I know I would spend more doing those things individually anyway.

Just want to clarify...

The Rainbow Reef snorkel gear and life vest is only for use in the salt water pool. You can't take the gear over to the beach lagoon.

If you don't own snorkel gear, stop by at Kmart, Walmart, Sports Authority, or Costco in town on the way to the resort. Buy something that fits your budget, use it, and either mail it home, leave it, or donate it to another guest. You can probably find complete sets in the $25-$40 range.

I'll check what the sign now reads out at the beach rental shack this weekend (staycationing again). Last time I did look, the $99 deal was taped over.

Is this a change too? When I went I was allowed to use my snorkeling equipment in the lagoon. They just wouldn't give me flippers but told me to get them from the rental place near the water which I did.

Just want to clarify...

The Rainbow Reef snorkel gear and life vest is only for use in the salt water pool. You can't take the gear over to the beach lagoon.

If you don't own snorkel gear, stop by at Kmart, Walmart, Sports Authority, or Costco in town on the way to the resort. Buy something that fits your budget, use it, and either mail it home, leave it, or donate it to another guest. You can probably find complete sets in the $25-$40 range.

I'll check what the sign now reads out at the beach rental shack this weekend (staycationing again). Last time I did look, the $99 deal was taped over.

Correction to my last post about the snorkel gear.

I just checked with the rental booth (10/15/11). Best way to do this is pay for the Rainbow Reef, either day or length of stay pass. You CAN use the snorkel gear at the beach cove. BUT, stop by the beach shack to pick up flippers, which are not offered in the Rainbow Reef.

If you only rent at the beach shack, you get the gear, but not the Rainbow Reef experience.

Rental chairs on the beach cove (I'm not sure of the prices now).

78eb0596.jpg

The put two mattresses on here for comfort, and the back part comes up for shade.

92569665.jpg

Free chairs on the beach cove, first come first served for Aulani hotel guests.

d10faaab.jpg

b8fca25a.jpg

Free beach umbrellas on the beach between Aulani and Ihilani hotels. About 8 of them, chairs NOT INCLUDED.

05dc5107.jpg

5b0164fe.jpg

Free pool chairs, first come first served.

1fdbac06.jpg

Paid day cabanas.

1b609434.jpg

By the Menehune Bridge pool section, there are 9 umbrellas, first come first served.

f221732c.jpg

4a02f1f0.jpg

Near the Shave Ice Stand/Lava Shack store there about 7 more at tables, not lounge chairs.

1b1a632d.jpg

There are ZERO umbrellas near the "main" pool. Only cabanas (paid), or lounge chairs (free).

There are also 2 more tables with umbrellas by the Off the Hook bar that are brown so for pool use, right by where the "dark/fast" slide empties.

Snorkel gear sold across the street at the ABC Country Store (along with groceries).

806c627b.jpg

$12.99 for a basic set.

e8a2bcbe.jpg

And higher for fancier sets.

73516d53.jpg

Hey Jeff,

Met you Saturday night at the infinity hot tub. Enjoyed talking with you and thanks for all the tips.

Only perk we received as a DVC member was a small fee off the snorkling experience. 10%, I think. Anyway, we enjoyed swimming with the reef fish. We saw one unusal fish there that had a long collapsing tail which made it look like an eel. They called it a railfish, said it was the only one in the pond and they named it Mr Chips because they found it at a wharf eating crackers. Cute story.

Emery

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter