DVC and the Dining Plan

I haven't used the DDP. I studied it to death before a trip last year and came close to doing it but in the end decided against it. If you normally eat a TS meal and a CS meal every day and you always buy a dessert then it is a very good deal, particularly if you buy the more expensive items on the menu.

When I checked what I considered our normal ordering patterns were and compared it to the DP costs it wasn't nearly as good a deal. If it still included the appetizer and the gratuity then it would have been a much better deal. I'm one of those too that wants to make sure I get my moneys worth and didn't want to spend my trip making sure I got the most I could out of the DP. I didn't want meal planning to dominate the trip, we prefer to be able go with the flow.

But, the fact of the matter is that if you arrive early or leave late, your stay has not actually begun or has already ended. Your meal credits mirror the time you have for your booking.

When you check-in, you are given a sheet which clearly indicates your meal credits. Regardless of what someone "expects", they have that piece of paper, and additionally with each purchase, the remaining allocation is provided on each receipt. Many cashiers even point it out when you get the counter service and snacks. If someone does not look at what they have remaining, and just assumes they can keep using it while they are there, well, the rude awakening is what they get.

Bottom line, ignorance is not a valid excuse. Sorry to be blunt, but that's what we're talking about here.

I think we are agreeing here for the most part. Of course ignorance is not a valid excuse. The situation I described did not happen to US. It was someone else.

You have a FRI through MON stay, 3 nights-4 days. You and I know we will have 3 credits each for table service, counter service, snack. You arrive on FRI morning. You check in at your resort. Whether you get your room or not your credits are activated, or am I incorrect on this. Maybe, on FRI, you use a counter credit for lunch and table for dinner then do the same SAT and SUN. Come MON you're set to fly out late afternoon. How many credits left?? If you plan on hanging around Disney for the day, maybe do a park or visit other resorts, you will have a meal or two on MON to plan for. You have no more DDP credits so, for someone who is trying to stay on a budget, this needs to be accounted for. And it CAN have an impact on your budget.

The family I observed, for whatever reason, apparently thought they had credits based upon the number of DAYS of their stay, and they tried to argue that point with the cashier. She kept telling them that they must have used all of their credits before that day so they stood there, holding up the line, talking about where they ate beginning on their arrival day, which happened to be somewhere in MK for lunch using a counter service credit then dinner at Whispering Canyon using a table credit. I guess they repeated this pattern each day until they were left with no credits on their departure day.

All I'm getting at is that is incorrect to talk about DDP on a PER DAY basis, and I see it discussed that way often here. Most of us know how many credits we will have, regardless of how/when we use them. But if someone who is not as familiar with DDP as us keeps seeing PER DAY in discussions they may well get the wrong idea. If you arrive late on arrival day and leave early on departure day, yes, you may even have trouble using all of your credits. But if, as described above, you have to pay for a meal, even counter service, it can "blow" your budget.

I don't get the impression that we are the only ones who vacation at Disney the way I have described. I think a lot of folks hit the parks on arrival and departure days and a meal or two will need to be accounted for. We don't budget our trips, it is what it is for us. But I think many are really trying to budget theirs and a meal for a family of four can be quite expensive.

Sorry, I've rambled enough.....

I haven't used the DDP. I studied it to death before a trip last year and came close to doing it but in the end decided against it. If you normally eat a TS meal and a CS meal every day and you always buy a dessert then it is a very good deal, particularly if you buy the more expensive items on the menu.

When I checked what I considered our normal ordering patterns were and compared it to the DP costs it wasn't nearly as good a deal. If it still included the appetizer and the gratuity then it would have been a much better deal. I'm one of those too that wants to make sure I get my moneys worth and didn't want to spend my trip making sure I got the most I could out of the DP. I didn't want meal planning to dominate the trip, we prefer to be able go with the flow.

This is our feeling also. Seems like if the food is included everyone feels they have to order it meaning the dessert and non alcoholic beverage even if they don't really want it- then you get hit with the tip on those items as well as the entree. We would rather have apps than dessert and usually have wine or some other adult beverage with the evening meal so TIW just makes more sense. I will be using it for the 4th trip this year next week so feel we have gotten our money's worth out of it this year. That might not be the case if we didn't have so many trips this year and also the fact that it is actually good through the end of Oct because of the date I bought it in Sept last year. With the TIW card I can look at the menu and know that the $22 entree I pick will cost me just about that by the time they discount it and put the tip on. I can also order the $16 one and not feel guilty about "not getting my money's worth" which I might do if I was on the DDP. We have used the free dining when it included the apps and tip, paid DDP with same benefits and free dining when it didn't include them. The first two were a fantastic deal - the last not so much. The biggest thing is not having the trip controlled by our meals. We can be just as happy with CS meals that happen when people are hungry but for people who "need" their TS meals the DDP can work well for them if they understand just what they are getting. As with all things Disney and DVC- one size does not fit all and that is what makes it so great. We all have choices and there is no "right or wrong" one that fits everyone.

This is really the key. I see so many people saying "We saved XXX dollars using the DDP." But did they really? Would everyone in your party always order a dessert with every TS? Would you have necessarily ordered all those CS meals or eaten all those snacks or had the most expensive thing on the menu to "get your money's worth"? I did as you, figured out what we most likely would have eaten without the plan, take off the 20 percent for the TiW and we definitely come out ahead that way. But everyone's different, so people have to figure out what works best for them.:goodvibes

So, you have to spend between $375 and $500 on food before you break even for the cost of it and actually get any payback with your 20% discount. On top of that it is an annual cost.

No thank you.

your right I did this last year and found it to be MUCH more expensive then the DDP, the Tables of Wonder or Disney Dining Experience IMO is not worth it, MAYBE worth it if you live in Florida go to WDW as a single day trip and have AP, but NO way does it work if your traveling on vacation to WDW

For us we have always done TIW/DDE. We always go with extended family, we like wine at dinner and sometimes a lot of it and usually it makes sense for dh and I to get an AP (that way I can plan another trip soon. LOL). This year we are not buying APs so I think TiW doesn't make sense to pay to upgrade 1 to an AP and then $75 for TiW for just 1 trip (boo hoo) but I am trying to figure out if the Dining PLan may be a good option for us. I know I can look at menus and see what we might order, etc but that's too much work and this doesn't need to be exact for me. General rule of thumb, we usually dine at one TS per day (or 1 signature 1 night and no TS another day), this includes 2 character meals (lunch/dinner) in the trip, and most meals 1 or 2 people will order dessert and 1-2 will order an appetizer whether or not we have the dining plan, we do breakfast in our room and do at least 3-4 CS meals in a week's vacation. In this case should the Dining Plan make sense or do I really need to figure out what we might order/

Thanks anyone who has a general rule of thumb for me on deciding this.

Amy

As a general rule of thumb.

If the dining plan fits how you dine, its a good deal.

If the dining plan doesn't fit how you dine - because you eat too many signature places but not enough to justify the Deluxe plan, because you have appitizers but not desserts, because you drink a lot of alcohol, because you had gastric bypass and dinner is often something from the appitizer menu....the TiW card OR paying cash might be a better deal.

The TiW card becomes a better deal the more you spend over the course of a year. So someone flying in for a weekend with two people and having two sit down meals at lunchtime at a reasonably priced place - probably won't break even. But someone who goes to WDW twice a year for a week or more at a time, once with their family of four adults and once bringing guests to make a bigger party - and does a lot of signature dining and drinking (and few counter service restaurants) - will likely find the TiW card a better deal.

The TiW card is not a good deal if you always stiff your servers on tips because it automatically adds the gratuity and you might as well pay cash (no one here would do that however).

As a general rule of thumb.

If the dining plan fits how you dine, its a good deal.

If the dining plan doesn't fit how you dine - because you eat too many signature places but not enough to justify the Deluxe plan, because you have appitizers but not desserts, because you drink a lot of alcohol, because you had gastric bypass and dinner is often something from the appitizer menu....the TiW card OR paying cash might be a better deal.

The TiW card becomes a better deal the more you spend over the course of a year. So someone flying in for a weekend with two people and having two sit down meals at lunchtime at a reasonably priced place - probably won't break even. But someone who goes to WDW twice a year for a week or more at a time, once with their family of four adults and once bringing guests to make a bigger party - and does a lot of signature dining and drinking (and few counter service restaurants) - will likely find the TiW card a better deal.

The TiW card is not a good deal if you always stiff your servers on tips because it automatically adds the gratuity and you might as well pay cash (no one here would do that however).

:thumbsup2 you hit the nail on the head!

We will be staying at BLT in January for 7 nights using rented dvc points,
I know that we pay for the dining plan when we check in but I was
wondering if there is a way to only get the dining plan for 4 or 5 days?

We will be staying at BLT in January for 7 nights using rented dvc points,
I know that we pay for the dining plan when we check in but I was
wondering if there is a way to only get the dining plan for 4 or 5 days?

No, its all or nothing for the complete stay and for everyone in the room

Just an example for 1 person for 1 day from my understanding (Used Le Cellier for TS):

DDP TIW

Dinner:
NY Strip/Soda/Desert
before Tax $42.97 $34.38

Tip (assumed 15%) 6.45 5.16

Lunch:
Counter Service Somewhere $12.00 $9.60

Snack:
Any Snack $3.00 $3.00

Total $64.42 $52.14

Actual Cost $45.45 $52.14 + cost of TIW amortized
$39 + tip

I know this is a simplified version and I'm probably missing something, but if I multiply the above times 5 days and times 5 people (which is my situation) just how is it the TIW is better than the DDP?

Please teach me if I'm wrong, I want to learn.

Thanks,

Dave

Let me try again...my tabs and spaces didn't take the first time

Just an example for 1 person for 1 day from my understanding (Used Le Cellier for TS):

DDP TIW

Dinner:
NY Strip/Soda/Desert
before Tax $42.97 $34.38

Lunch:

Snack:
Any Snack $3.00 $3.00

Total $64.42 $52.14

$39 + tip

I know this is a simplified version and I'm probably missing something, but if I multiply the above times 5 days and times 5 people (which is my situation) just how is it the TIW is better than the DDP?

Thanks,

Dave

For some reason all my spacing isn't coming out on my posts. But basically, the first amount in each row is the DDP cost and the second amount is with TIW from my understanding. The total for DDP in the example is $45.45 per day with tip per person and with TIW is $52.14 WITHOUT amortizing the cost of the TIW itself.

Dave

For some reason all my spacing isn't coming out on my posts. But basically, the first amount in each row is the DDP cost and the second amount is with TIW from my understanding. The total for DDP in the example is $45.45 per day with tip per person and with TIW is $52.14 WITHOUT amortizing the cost of the TIW itself.

Dave

CS do not take TIW, so you actully can increase the OOP with TIW for the day...

I notice you selected one of the most expensive entrees at one of the most expensive restaurants, so that will effect your numbers and you ordered dessert...

If that is the way everyone in your party eats, then clearly you are best doing the DDP...

However, not all entrees are as expensive as the NY strip at LC... this is one reason some people feel compelled to order the most costly to maximize the program... often I will order something less expensive simply because it is what I prefer... also, you include a dessert but no appetizer... again, I am more likely to prefer an appie than a dessert which I would have to pay OOP... throw in a glass or 2 of wine and you can see how the numbers wouldn't work so well...

That doesn't even cover the meals where DD (23) and I will order a bunch of appetizers but no entree :lmao:

It depends entirely on how you want to eat... we actually did the DXDP in August and had a blast... but this trip we will be using the TIW for a few TS and then eat our way around F&W :goodvibes It's not really all that difficult to recoup the cost of the TIW if you valet park at a resort to dine and either go with more people or go more frequently (that's us)...

As I said, if that's how you plan to eat this trip, then you are definitely better off on the DDP... BUT.... this will not be true for everyone ;)

your right I did this last year and found it to be MUCH more expensive then the DDP, the Tables of Wonder or Disney Dining Experience IMO is not worth it, MAYBE worth it if you live in Florida go to WDW as a single day trip and have AP, but NO way does it work if your traveling on vacation to WDW

Ummm, for some people it does.

Let me try again...my tabs and spaces didn't take the first time

DDP TIW

Dinner:
NY Strip/Soda/Desert
before Tax $42.97 $34.38

Lunch:

Snack:
Any Snack $3.00 $3.00

Total $64.42 $52.14

$39 + tip

Thanks,

Dave

If that's how you eat, then maybe DDP works for you. Since I don't eat that way, I don't see the same value in the DP. If I take the Le Cellier instance you gave, here's why it wouldn't work for me:

*I rarely order dessert.
*I don't drink soda but sometimes will have a cocktail or wine.
*I often order an appetizer to split.

For other meals - we usually eat at least one meal a day in our villa. We rarely eat counter service, so an average day might be:

Tusker House breakfast
1 adult $20.31 (includes tax)
minus TIW, bill is $16.25
+ tip $3.64
total - $19.89

Lunch in room - FREE

Le Cellier dinner (soup, filet mignon, side of asparagus, glass of wine)
$56.45 with tax
minus TIW $45.16
+ tip 9.53
total - $54.69

But if I'm on the DP, I will never use the counter service credit I skipped that day and I'll run out of regular DP credits too soon or never use all the DxDP because we usually only eat somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of our meals out. PLUS with the DP I'd have to pay out of pocket for the wine, the soup and the side of asparagus in that scenario. So perhaps on single day basis the DP might look better, but overall it doesn't fit our dining style.

Uuuummmmm Not sure if you noticed but I did say IMO, which means in my opinion, sorry if you misunderstood.

You also used the word "you" which means that it is "in your opinion" not worth it for the person you are talking to. It would be clearer to say "IME (in my experience) it was not worth it for us."

If that's how you eat, then maybe DDP works for you. Since I don't eat that way, I don't see the same value in the DP. If I take the Le Cellier instance you gave, here's why it wouldn't work for me:

*I rarely order dessert.
*I don't drink soda but sometimes will have a cocktail or wine.
*I often order an appetizer to split.

::yes:: Same here. Not big soda drinkers, love our appetizers, would never order dessert after every meal let alone 5 desserts :faint:, and we enjoy a cocktail or beer with dinner. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter