DVC and Hurricanes - DVC Vets....

PinGirl

Mouseketeer
Hi Veterans - just curious if any of you have ever had a vacation planned and had to move days ahead or behind on short notice because of a hurricane in the area. If so - how does that work with DVC? The only time we had a problem was when we stayed at a non Disney Timeshare and there was a cat 1 hurricane. There was so much water in the room - Mushrooms started to grow (I am not kidding) so we moved to POR for the rest of our trip

I know with CRO - there is that 5 day window but DVC is more restricted. Just curious as we normally go during Food and Wine Fest:cloud9: (LOVE IT! ) and are soon to be new DVC members. DH asked me the question this morning about Hurricanes - and I was not sure....How does MS deal with shuffling people around if an event happens before or during your trip?:surfweb:

Thanks in advance....

A few years ago, we had a weather-related problem of ice/snow storms affecting East coast air traffic, and we were "doomed :lmao: " to stay at WDW 2 extra nights. Major kudos to the front desk folks at BW; they arranged for us to use points (even though this was over the weekend, before MS opened Saturday calling). We did have to move to an HA room (only one available) but we felt totally pixiedust: ! (We envisioned having to stay at an airport hotel :sad2: .) On Monday, the BW CMs squared it with MS so that it wasn't a cash reservation.

Naturally I wrote glowing letters of praise to Disney; I only hope they got recognized for really going out of their way to give us so much extra magic. :goodvibes

BTW, we were at OKW during Wilma and Disney does hurricanes very well (just in case you're there during one). :thumbsup2

We were staying offsite for the first two days when Hurricane Jeanne was headed into Orlando - we were able to call the front desk at OKW and add a day to our reservation there so we spent the hurricane day in a 2BR across from the HH and hardly heard any wind or noise at all. They do a super job of keeping everyone updated and of making certain areas are safe before they reopen any public areas. Disney is where I would want to be in a hurricane in Florida. They do have a specific policy and it may be on the member website about cancellations due to hurricanes and under what circumstances they will refund your points. They were also moving people around from the campground into units at OKW that year so they do take good care of the guests.

In 05 we decided to leave for FL a day earlier because of hurricane Ivan. Ivan was supposed to be over FL the day we were to fly into FL. When I spoke to MS 3 days before we were scheduale to arrive the cast member was surprised that we were comming down earlier. Most of the calls he was getting were cancelations. My theory was I would rather be in a hotel in WDW durring a hurricane than an airport somewhere waiting for the weather to clear. The added bonus was that Ivan turned and we were in the clear. We got to enjoy an extra day in WDW.

We were at VWL during Hurricane Jeanne and I have to agree with those who said they felt completely safe and well taken care of. You did have to stay in your unit until they said it was OK to move about (they slipped periodic update notices under the door). They set up a sandwich, snack area in one of the rooms and that was the only place you were permitted to go to. We did have to stay an extra day, since the airport was closed, and it did cost us one day's points but -- hey, we were in WDW! I wouldn't hesitate to go to WDW during hurricane season -- in fact we go every September.

We were at VWL during Hurricane Jeanne and I have to agree with those who said they felt completely safe and well taken care of. You did have to stay in your unit until they said it was OK to move about (they slipped periodic update notices under the door). They set up a sandwich, snack area in one of the rooms and that was the only place you were permitted to go to. We did have to stay an extra day, since the airport was closed, and it did cost us one day's points but -- hey, we were in WDW! I wouldn't hesitate to go to WDW during hurricane season -- in fact we go every September.

Thanks for all the responses guys! I love these boards!:cloud9:

We left a day early due to Hurrican Charley a few years back. Got the last 6 seats on the (much, much) delayed flight home. From what I heard, DVC did a great job assisting members and accomodating them during Charlies visit!! My kids wanted to stay but we adults did have some responsibilities at home!! LOL!!

A little off topic, but a few years ago we called 2 days prior to cancel as a result of a hurricane. Not only did DVC allow us to cancel, they moved our boorowed points back into the original use year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter