• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DVC and cruising

Songbird56

Earning My Ears
We like to cruise a whole lot more than we like the parks (not that we don't like the parks)... would DVC be a good idea for us?

We like to cruise a whole lot more than we like the parks (not that we don't like the parks)... would DVC be a good idea for us?

No, especially because you have to buy direct (resales purchased after 3-21-2011 are not eligible for cruises). To get enough points to cruise, it's going to cost far more than paying cash for the cruise.

The bigger problem, IMO, is that DCL doesn't make all cabins (or cruises) available on points. And more than once over the years, they've stopped allowing points booking altogether for a long period of time. The point costs for cruises also can (and do) increase more or less at DCL's whim, unlike point costs for DVC resorts.

DVC is really 'meant' for stays at DVC resorts. That's what our contracts entitle us to do - use our points for stays at DVC resorts, subject to availability. Those other options - DCL, ABD, the various 'collections' - are intended to show prospective buyers that they can have a little variety in their vacations, if they want to get away from the theme parks once in awhile. They're also not part of the contract, meaning that the use of those options can be changed or terminated altogether at any time.

Let's put cruising aside -- using DVC points to cruise is a bad idea. So, if that is your question then the answer is an uncomplicated no - DVC would not be a good idea. Whether DVC is a good idea for you must be solely based on how much you want to stay at Disney World. And then, whether it is a good idea is an extremely complicated question.

As posted using DVC points to cruise is not straight forward. There is a $95 booking/change fee, not all cabins are available and/or they only offer a few in the best category and more in the least desirable category, often they open more for DVC when they have trouble filling the boat, Disney will allow bookings that pays them the most, if cash bookings are hot, they will come first, then they offer Military and Florida resident rates, DVC is in there somewhere.

:earsboy: Bill

Only way I see DVC working out for you is if you stay at the parks before and after your cruises. A small contract for those short stays might be beneficial.

Like others have said, a contract where you intend to spend all your points on non-DVC resorts is a net loss for you.

Only way I see DVC working out for you is if you stay at the parks before and after your cruises. A small contract for those short stays might be beneficial.

Like others have said, a contract where you intend to spend all your points on non-DVC resorts is a net loss for you.
I was thinking along the same lines

Or if you do like doing the parks every now and then rent out the unused DVC points to help pay cash for a cruise. If I never went back to WDW again I would still make money renting out even after paying the annual maintenance fee.

If I never went back to WDW again I would still make money renting out even after paying the annual maintenance fee.
That's only true if the market stays stable. And it's a terrible asset allocation. ROI on renting out points is somewhere in the 11 to 13 year range. You'd do much better with just about any other investment.

Since I've owned for 14 years guess I'm OK thenpixiedust:.

My main point was if they ever plan to stay at a DVC resort in WDW then renting out points that they weren't going to use is better then just using points directly to pay for a cruise through DVC.

I do agree for certain that one would never want to buy DVC with the intent of using it mostly on DCL. The best bang for your buck is always, always staying at a DVC resort. Check out what our DVC villas sell for through DRC on cash and it is an eye opener.

All that said, when I purchased over 2 decades ago, one had to start with either 210 or 230 points (can't remember since we started with a little bit more). Over all these years I have added on a few times. As a single mom, I have used my DVC points on several occasions for DCL. It was awesome to have that option since there was no way I could have paid out of pocket for the cruise fares.

Never under any circumstances would buying DVC for cruising be reasonable, never has been and likely never will be. It's a bad trade, you have to pay retail to do so, and the cash type exchange are not guaranteed in any way. Three strikes and you're out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter