DVA Questions

lolobug

DIS Veteran
Hello fellow budgeters!
I set up a DVA around the end of June. I read that I can only receive the $20 GC bonus on $1000 disney purchase after being opened for 120 days (which would be around October for me, I believe). I have made (2) $200 purchases towards our split stay resorts, I am hoping that a deal will become available around Christmas in which I will re-book our stay. If I re-book in December and spend $1000 from my DVA at that time, will I be eligible for the $20 GC? Should I cancel the ressie I currently have and just wait until I hit that 120 day mark to book? Suggestions? Thanks!

Hello fellow budgeters!
I set up a DVA around the end of June. I read that I can only receive the $20 GC bonus on $1000 disney purchase after being opened for 120 days (which would be around October for me, I believe). I have made (2) $200 purchases towards our split stay resorts, I am hoping that a deal will become available around Christmas in which I will re-book our stay. If I re-book in December and spend $1000 from my DVA at that time, will I be eligible for the $20 GC? Should I cancel the ressie I currently have and just wait until I hit that 120 day mark to book? Suggestions? Thanks!
If you're traveling during the peak holiday time (i.e. Christmas/New Year's week), then you should not cancel your reservation. There may not be availability later and you may end up with no onsite accommodations during the busiest time of the year. If you're traveling in the weeks leading up to Christmas and don't have a specific resort in mind, then it's a roll of the dice. You could cancel your reservation in the hopes that a discount is offered, but there are no guarantees that the resort you want will be included, or if the dates that you will be traveling will be available. FWIW, there is a RO discount already available for stays most nights October 4, 2015 through November 24 and November 28 through December 23, 2015.

There are 3 dates that you need to keep in mind:
  • 120 days from the date that you opened your DVA.
  • The date that full payment is required for your reservation (45 days prior to arrival for packages, "in full" at the time a reservation is made it within 45 days of arrival).
  • 4-6 weeks for the arrival of your bonus GC after requesting it.
If those dates don't line up correctly, it won't be worth it for you to use a DVA to pay for your trip this time.

If you're traveling during the peak holiday time (i.e. Christmas/New Year's week), then you should not cancel your reservation. There may not be availability later and you may end up with no onsite accommodations during the busiest time of the year. If you're traveling in the weeks leading up to Christmas and don't have a specific resort in mind, then it's a roll of the dice. You could cancel your reservation in the hopes that a discount is offered, but there are no guarantees that the resort you want will be included, or if the dates that you will be traveling will be available. FWIW, there is a RO discount already available for stays most nights October 4, 2015 through November 24 and November 28 through December 23, 2015.

There are 3 dates that you need to keep in mind:
  • 120 days from the date that you opened your DVA.
  • The date that full payment is required for your reservation (45 days prior to arrival for packages, "in full" at the time a reservation is made it within 45 days of arrival).
  • 4-6 weeks for the arrival of your bonus GC after requesting it.
If those dates don't line up correctly, it won't be worth it for you to use a DVA to pay for your trip this time.
Thanks for the response! We are traveling in April, would you recommend keeping it until a discount might come out and then rebook our stay? If a discount comes out around December and my DVA has been opened for 120 days at the time that we would rebook, does that deposit count towards the bonus GC or not?

My deposit, made before the 120 day mark, did count toward my $1000. I actually did a controlled test for that...paid $895 toward my trip, fully expecting that the bonus link would not be available because my total wasn't $1000. It did let me order the card, so I think it lets you as long as some of the money paid is after the 120 day mark.

My deposit, made before the 120 day mark, did count toward my $1000. I actually did a controlled test for that...paid $895 toward my trip, fully expecting that the bonus link would not be available because my total wasn't $1000. It did let me order the card, so I think it lets you as long as some of the money paid is after the 120 day mark.
Good to know! Thank you, for sharing!

I remember when DVA started, there was a thread discussing this. The comments (and experiences) were that even if payments were made before 120 days, once the account was open for 120 days, you could claim the bonus. I remember many claiming that worked. I recently requested my bonus (my account was only opened about 80-90 days before my payments were due) and never received it. When I called, they told me that you cannot get any bonuses if you make your payments before 120 days. This is actually in conflict with the information I got from a cast member when I called when I set up the account.

I remember when DVA started, there was a thread discussing this. The comments (and experiences) were that even if payments were made before 120 days, once the account was open for 120 days, you could claim the bonus. I remember many claiming that worked. I recently requested my bonus (my account was only opened about 80-90 days before my payments were due) and never received it. When I called, they told me that you cannot get any bonuses if you make your payments before 120 days. This is actually in conflict with the information I got from a cast member when I called when I set up the account.
I remember that, too. But somewhere along the way, it changed. I was corrected a few months back. I think they posted new terms, and this is one that changed.

I opened my account on May 12th. Will my 120 mark be September 8th or 9th? I guess my question really is, does day 1 start on May 12th or May 13th? My 60 day FP mark is September 8th and I'm buying tickets then(AT the 120 day mark) so... just want to make sure I don't miss getting the bonus by one day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter