Duty free purchases

Sharon/Mark

Mouseketeer
Hi

While I fully understand the current restrictions on duty free's it is to say the least a little disappointing. Does anyone know if BAA plan to offer a similar service to that, that is available at MCO airport where duty frees are delivered to you in a sealed bag in the departure lounge as you board the aircraft, I would have thought the World Duty Free/Airlines are losing a lot of revenue surely a solution should be 'in the bag' if you would excuse the pun.

However is then allowed in the US?

Any help would be appreciated.......

Bump I want to know this toooooo.

i was so hoping to get a bottle of balieys to enjoy on our Cruise.

Can you buy Baileys in the USA,????
no other drink that pretends to be like Baileys is any where near like it IMHO!

Lindy Loo said:
Bump I want to know this toooooo.

i was so hoping to get a bottle of balieys to enjoy on our Cruise.

Can you buy Baileys in the USA,????
no other drink that pretends to be like Baileys is any where near like it IMHO!

I know Heathrow has Duty Free shops for arriving passengers, does anybody know if Gatwick has one? In Heathrow they are just after you walk through the Customs hall but before you enter the public areas.

This might not help you if you wanted what you purchase when you arrive in the States - but we just came through Heathrow today, and they are doing a 'collect on return' service, so whatever you buy can be held for you until you arrive. Not sure about other airports though....

You can get Baileys in the US. I know Manchester has a collect on return service but I wanted to buy perfume to wear in the USA.

For those who have been recently....

Are the restrictions just from the UK to the US, or on return too?

Can you still buy duty free on the flight itself?

Otherwise I hope they do a collect on return service at Gatwick.

We flew from Nice to Heathrow yesterday, and this is what seemed to be the case:-

1. You could buy anything in Duty Free in the UK to take on the flight with you if you were travelling anywhere except the US - then you couldn't buy any liquids / gels / makeup etc even in Duty Free

2. Duty Free was for sale on the plane - I assume you would still be prevented from buying any liquids on a US flight though

3. On the return flight to the UK, you weren't allowed to purchase any liquids or makeup etc, even in Duty Free. People were having bottles of water they had bought in duty free confiscated at the entrance to the plane where there were more security checks. Seemed a bit strange since flying out of the UK (to anywhere except the US) you were able to buy drinks etc, but it was no big deal.

4. You could purchase Duty Free on arrival at Heathrow before baggage collection - I'm almost certain there is a similar facility at Gatwick, but again, it's no use if you want your purchase for your holiday.

Hope that helps a little.

Has anyone flown Virgin to the US recently do u know what continues to be on sale Duty free on the aircraft and if u buy liquids on the aircraft do u run the risk of it being confiscated when u arrive at US customs?

Thank you

wickesy said:
I know Heathrow has Duty Free shops for arriving passengers, does anybody know if Gatwick has one? In Heathrow they are just after you walk through the Customs hall but before you enter the public areas.

There is a Duty Free shop as you exit customs at Gatwick.

Andy

I remember reading something when the new security measures were introduced that some airlines were doing very well on duty free sales due to the passengers not being able to take liquids on board themselves, I beleive Virgin was one of them.

I also remember reading a report saying the BA had suspended duty free sales in ordre to free up space on the plane for extra food and beverage supplies as the passengers weren't able to bring their own and would require the airline to supply them in order to make the flight as comfortable as possible.

What I think this all means is that there is no specific restriction on the airline selling you duty free on-board but that individual airlines have made their own decisions on whether they are choosing to do this. I guess the best thing to do is to phone the airline and ask :)

Sharon/Mark said:
Has anyone flown Virgin to the US recently do u know what continues to be on sale Duty free on the aircraft and if u buy liquids on the aircraft do u run the risk of it being confiscated when u arrive at US customs?

Thank you

Since the idea behind not allowing PAX to take liquids on baord was to prevent sombody blowing up the aircraft, I seriously doubt that it matters once the aircraft is on the ground and unloaded! So the answer to your question is no.

US Customs will only be interested if you are over your DF limit

Similarly, you can buy duty free in US to bring back - it is delivered by the DF shop to the aircraft, so cannot have been tampered with by any pax.

We returned from the US on Virgin on 20th August, we were allowed to buy duty free and it was delivered to the gate as usual. They seemed to have the full range of duty free on board the flight. We were not allowed any liquids or cosmetics in hand baggage but they did allow hand held games, which I believe are not allowed on flights to the US.
All hand luggage was searched by hand at the gate and as there was only one TSA officer available it took a very long time to board the flight.

I don't know about flights to the US as the restrictions came into force while we were in Florida.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter