DUTCH WONDERLAND or HERSHEYPARK?

gwtw428

Mouseketeer
Anyone been to Dutch Wonderland? or Hershey? I have a 5 year old daughter and 1 year old boy. Which park is better for these ages?
Also, where can I get coupons?
Cheap places to stay near here?

Thanks!!

We did that trip last summer. My kids are older 11, 9, and 6 but when we drove past Dutch Wonderland we decided it was not worth our time to go. Hershey was good, not Disney, but good. Lots for little kids and big kids. We used Hotwire to get rooms, make sure you pick 3 stars or above to get a decent room.

Our girls, who were 3 and 5 at the time, absolutely LOVED Dutch Wonderland. There is so much there that is accessible for that age. It made them feel more empowered, I think, than the Disney parks, just because not so much as off limits.

Absolutely Dutch Wonderland. My kids absolutely loved that park when they were your kids ages. It is a park made for little ones.

We did Hershey too. The factory tour and the whole ambiance is cool but that can always be done when your kids are older and Dutch Wonderland doesn't interest them anymore and when they are tall enough for the big rides.

We always stayed at a place called Willow Valley. Its a little bit of a drive from DW, like maybe 10-15 minutes, but there are carriage rides there, the kids can feed the ducks plus there is a small indoor waterpark too.

I've never done Dutch Wonderland, but Hershey can be fun for kids of all ages. they also have a (relatively new) water park within the park, complete with a large water play structure which your kids may enjoy once it warms up.

If you wanted too, you can also look into the combo tickets. Since they are both run by the same people, they sell tickets which allow you admission into both parks.

We did Hersheypark 2 years ago, and found there was quite a bit to do for older kids, mine were 10 and 12 at the time that we went. It was A LOT of fun. We were one of the first families to arrive (Disney mentality, arrive early and stay late) worked well for us. We went about 1 hour before the park opened and there was probably about 2 families in front of us.

We also went when the kids were younger, about 3 and 5. That was our first experience at an amusement park, and it seemed as if they could ride just about everything, if an adult rode with them. We had a great time at Hersheypark both of those times.

We stayed at the Hershey campground this last visit, and a hotel the first time there. I have never been to Dutchwonderland, although I looked it up online both times while we were in the area, but opted to go back to Hersheypark, since we had such fond memories of it the first time.

Another tip, if you stay at the Hersheypark campground, or hotel, and purchase your tickets online,or before you go, you can go to a "preview" the day before your tickets are valid from 3pm until closing. Hershey also had a GREAt water play area, much more than we expected.

With out a doubt Dutch Wonderland. We go every June. I fear that this may be our last year. (our oldest turned 8 in Dec.) the best part of Dutch Wonderland is that it is all geared to the little ones. We love it because with the exception of 1 roller coaster the kids can ride pretty much everything in the park. No melt downs because they all can't go on something. I will say I have never been there on a weekend we only go during the week so I don't know how crowds are, but we love it and so do the kids. This will be our 5th year going. We are already booked for June. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Hersheypark no longer owns Dutch Wonderland.

When did this happen? they are still selling combo tickets.

adding
found an articlefrom nov 12th 2010

Hershey Entertainment and Resorts has sold Lancaster theme park Dutch Wonderland.

Hershey made the announcement Friday afternoon in a news release, saying Dutch Wonderland and "related properties in Lancaster County" had been sold to Palace Entertainment, which is the nation’s largest operator of water parks and family entertainment centers. Palace is based in California, but is a division of a larger international company.

"It was a very difficult decision for us to make; however, the sale will allow us to continue to focus all of our resources and energy on our operations in Hershey," Hershey Entertainment CEO Ted Kleisner said in the news release.

Palace is owned by Parques Reunidos, an international entertainment operator that with this new acquisition operates in total 70 theme parks, water parks, zoological parks and family entertainment centers around the world, distributed in 10 countries mainly throughout Europe and the USA. Parques Reunidos is the second largest leisure park operator in Europe and the third largest worldwide.

"We were attracted to Dutch Wonderland because of its position as an outstanding family amusement park -- especially for families with younger children. It is our goal to continue to operate the park in a manner which maintains its impeccable reputation, focusing on the highest level of customer care and memorable experience for which Dutch Wonderland is known," said Fernando Eiroa, CEO of Palace Entertainment, in the news release. "We are very sensitive to the unique position that Dutch Wonderland has within its community. We will strive to maintain and enhance the Dutch Wonderland brand, while keeping the special family appeal of the Park."

We took our children to Dutch Wonderland when they were 5 and 3. They LOVED it. I agree with the PP who said it was empowering. At that age, there is very little they are "allowed" to do on their own. At Dutch Wonderland, everything is for the little ones. Also, they have a water park that is all about the spray area. We just loved it for our kids when they were little.

I have been told that Hershey isn't ideal for young children but Dutch Wonderland is. So I would go with Dutch Wonderland. You can visit parts of Hershey Park without having to buy tickets for the park. So perhaps you could visit both.

I agree that for younger kids Dutch Wonderland is the way to go. Hershey is an amusement park with a kids section but Dutch Wonderland is geared for your kids ages. Plus I love Lancaster area. On a different note if you are looking for a unique experience you can stay on a working farm! My dd when she was 5 got to see a calf born and give its 1st bottle thanks to our staying at one. May not be Disney accommodations but the experience was PRICELESS!

Season passholder to both hersheypark and dutchwonderland.

With the ages of your kids I would do dutchwonderland.
The kids can get on everything there since it is all about kids. It also have a waterplay area as well.

While you are in the area I also recommend

Cherry Crest Adventure Farm
http://www.cherrycrestfarm.com/ A few miles from dutch wonderland

and the strasburg railroad runs right through the center of the farm so even if you did not want to do the train ride you get to watch the steam train go by several times during your visit. http://www.strasburgrailroad.com/

Definitly do Dutch Wonderland...we use to LOVE it when my kids were that age. i think over 7 is too old for Dutch!

There are many motels around the area!

Anyone been to Dutch Wonderland? or Hershey? I have a 5 year old daughter and 1 year old boy. Which park is better for these ages?
Also, where can I get coupons?
Cheap places to stay near here?

Thanks!!

Another vote for Dutch Wonderland. We went when my kids were 6 and 4, and they loved it. Only 1 coaster that my 4-year-old couldn't do, but everything else was perfect. We wound up coming back the next day because they were having so much fun. The water park is very nice - small enough that you can see all parts of it pretty much all the time, but large enough that the kids spent a good 3 hours there and would have stayed the rest of the day if we didn't have other attractions to see. It was rather crowded on the weekend, but the weekday we went was not crowded at all.

Another vote for Dutch Wonderland. We went when our children were 6 and 8. They loved it. We also went to Hershey Park. They liked Hershey Park, but I think they liked the "free" trip to the chocolate factory just as much.
We went to Disney World when they were 7 and 9. Both said they liked our vacation in PA better. I guess it was the smaller area and crowds.
They sell combo tickets. I think we got ours at a grocery store.

Are you looking for amusement parks specifically in the Hershey/Lancaster area? Knoebels Amusement Resort in Elysburg, PA has lots of rides for little kids and a big pool. There are many shaded areas to sit and relax in, free admission, free parking, excellent food, and they have picnic tables if you want to bring your own food to eat. You can either buy a handstamp to ride all day or buy books of tickets (tickets are discounted at AAA offices here in eastern PA). Just thought I'd throw it out there :goodvibes .

Dutch Wonderland!! My kids are 10 & 6 now and like the thrill rides but when they were in the preschool set, they loved Dutch Wonderland. It had the perfect rides for THEM!! The log flume and roller coaster were thrill enough for them at that age but made them feel like they were on a BIG ride!! They also have a cute water play area too that my kids enjoyed.

I'm glad to hear that some people have 8 year olds who still enjoy DW a bit. My 8 y.o. son is very sweet with his 2 y.o. sister and he has fun anywhere, but who's to say how much longer that will be the case? I think we need to take them this year! :thumbsup2

For that age...I vote DW.

However if you want to give Hershey a chance we always go during springtime in the park. Usually it is April and tickets are approx half price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter