Dustless Cat Litter that Really Works??

Marshay

I'm Goofy for Mickey.
We have 2 cats and always seem to have problems with cat litter. Specifically, whatever room the litter boxes are in gets covered with a layer of litter-dust and it also spreads outside the box. It's gross.

Currently we use Scoop Away. I've tried the crystal litter but then we just ended up with little crystal balls all over our linolium/hardwood floors.

What do you use and does it work:

1) Odors
2) Dust-free
3) Little to no particles spreading

THANK YOU!!

My felines and I are "Feline Pine" fans - not too dusty - not stinky AT ALL (and I am not always very good about scooping)

My cats are addicted to Ever Clean, which is unfortunately dusty. (Tried once to switch to "World's Best Cat Litter" and immediate terrible punishment for me - peeing and pooping on the bed!! It was great for spill and dust control but very unhappy in cat world.) I have found that if I take the box outside when I add or refill, and pour from as high up as I can, at least some of the dust wafts out in the pour. Ever Clean is a high quality scoopable product with good odor control. I have found it helps to put a straw or otherwise perforated mat under and around the box to catch and control some of the spillage.

Will your cats use the covered boxes? This cuts down on dust and odors. I have the big covered boxes (from Target) and we fill them with the non-clumping Fresh Step. We have a little plastic mat in front of each box that cuts out a lot of the stray bits. We don't scoop the pans daily. We just dump and replace the litter once a week.

Ugh, Scoop Away is the WORST for dust. We used it for so long b/c you could get it cheaply at costco. Finally it occurred to me that maybe litter wasn't supposed to be this dusty (durrrrrr...I'm a doofus). We've tried a few things...learned that 98% dust-free is largely BS (really disliked the Exquisite brand from Petsmart -- still very dusty). Right now we're trying out Arm & Hammer and have been pleased so far. But it's still not perfect. I accept that with any scoopable clay there will be some dust, but haven't liked any of the non-clay alternatives so far (pine, etc). Still hoping for some new invention. :thumbsup2

My felines and I are "Feline Pine" fans - not too dusty - not stinky AT ALL (and I am not always very good about scooping)

I was wondering about the pine...may need to just try it.

My cats are addicted to Ever Clean, which is unfortunately dusty. (Tried once to switch to "World's Best Cat Litter" and immediate terrible punishment for me - peeing and pooping on the bed!! It was great for spill and dust control but very unhappy in cat world.) I have found that if I take the box outside when I add or refill, and pour from as high up as I can, at least some of the dust wafts out in the pour. Ever Clean is a high quality scoopable product with good odor control. I have found it helps to put a straw or otherwise perforated mat under and around the box to catch and control some of the spillage.

Darn these dusty cat litters!! Yeah, I figured my cats may revolt against me switching litters...may need to incorporate the new litter slowly.

Will your cats use the covered boxes? This cuts down on dust and odors. I have the big covered boxes (from Target) and we fill them with the non-clumping Fresh Step. We have a little plastic mat in front of each box that cuts out a lot of the stray bits. We don't scoop the pans daily. We just dump and replace the litter once a week.

We haven't tried a covered box, but I'd be willing to give it a try. We had the automatic litter box but the motors on 2 of them gave out after 9 months. That's too expensive!

We try to empty them both every day but intentions are definitely different than actions!

Ugh, Scoop Away is the WORST for dust. We used it for so long b/c you could get it cheaply at costco. Finally it occurred to me that maybe litter wasn't supposed to be this dusty (durrrrrr...I'm a doofus). We've tried a few things...learned that 98% dust-free is largely BS (really disliked the Exquisite brand from Petsmart -- still very dusty). Right now we're trying out Arm & Hammer and have been pleased so far. But it's still not perfect. I accept that with any scoopable clay there will be some dust, but haven't liked any of the non-clay alternatives so far (pine, etc). Still hoping for some new invention. :thumbsup2

Now, you tell me!! :laughing: Yeah, we've been getting our litter from costco since it is so cheap...but as soon as we're done our three 40 pound containers :-)scared1: ) or when I've reached my limit, we are switching!!

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

I really like the Arm & Hammer cat litter that comes in a big orange bag. I can't remember the exact name, but it's the only one they have in a bag. It has the best odor control, doesn't track quite as much as the others, and no dust!!

It also clumps better than most others.

I use Feline Pine for my kitty. It's the least amount of dust and tracking that I have found after trying several litters.

I really like the Arm & Hammer cat litter that comes in a big orange bag. I can't remember the exact name, but it's the only one they have in a bag. It has the best odor control, doesn't track quite as much as the others, and no dust!!

It also clumps better than most others.

Great! 2 votes for A&H!

I use Feline Pine for my kitty. It's the least amount of dust and tracking that I have found after trying several litters.

Great! 2 votes for FP!

And if you are really into new gadgets and gizmos, you could give something like this a try:

http://www.catgenie.com/

OH, that is great!! :rotfl: A mini-toilet for your cat! I'll have to do some research on this to see if it really works (and lasts!)

Actually, we did buy the other one -- the automatic one that scoops it up and places in a container for you to remove.

The first one the motor died after 9 months...so we waited until they brought out the Super Deluxe one, thinking they improved it ... nope, the motor died again after about a year. When I'm paying $100+ for a Cat Scooper, I expect it to just last longer.

PaPurr is paper litter - but look and clumps like clay. Not much dust at all - but, tracks really bad. Unfortunately, my cat seems to be allergic to all of the clay clumping litters.

Our cat was always sneezing and had snot-bubbling noises going on all of the time. I've tried just about every single kind of cat litter on the market because I read that clay litter can clog up cats' sinuses. I've tried Feline Pine but didn't like it because of the way it falls apart and I couldn't really clean out the urine - and poo just sits on top. Odor was horrible, IMO.

Sweat (wheat litter) was yucky - gooey & messy. The litter made out of corn stinks even when it is new and my cat hated it.

Papurr seams to be the answer - it's paper - no clay dust. Clumps well. Contains smell as well as any other litter on the market. The only downside is that it is kind of expensive - $10/bag - and, I've only found it at Petsmart. I always have to keep a couple of bags on hand since I can't just run to Target for a bag.

Good luck!

We use a covered box, which does cut down on the dust but doesn't completely eliminate it.

We go through a LOT of litter-- almost one "box" a week. :eek: (our male has had crystals/urninary blockage issues, so he's on prescription food that makes him pee a lot). So... we usually buy whatever we have a coupon for.

One bit of advice I can tell you is to never, ever, EVER buy Fresh Step. It is by far the dustiest litter out there. AWFUL.

Well. I don't have a cat, but I have a litter trained bunny, and I have to use something natural,( cause they might eat it), and I always use feline pine. No dust at all! No smell either, and bunnies can be stinky!

I've never seen the Cat Genie- will have to look up reviews sooner or later. I know all of the automatic boxes I have tried have not worked- but we have more then the average cats here.

Feline Pine is what I'd suggest- and I'd suggest totally getting away from those dusty dusty litters, for all of you. And putting a lid on a very dusty litter- ugh...

I know we don't tend to think of these things, but actually- for a moment, pretend you ARE your cat. You got to do 'your thing' and you go and do it in the litterbox, like a good cat, and go to bury it... Now, no matter what, if you are using a dusty litter that YOU, as the owner, is complaining about, it can't be too comfortable for the cat to claw at the litter and cover his 'doings' because NOW, that disgusting dust is flying up into his face and respiratory tract. But if it's a COVERED box- that's like a mini torture chamber because it's contained all around your cat!

We had this discussion a week ago here about budget litters and litters that work without producing dust. I'm trying out wood pellets which are the same as Feline Pine- except I think Feline Pine smells a tadbit better. Wood pellets are less expensive, though...

Dusty litters are very very bad for your cat's respiratory tract. Here's an interesting little read...

"Clay. The first commercial cat litter, and still the most common and widely available today, was introduced in 1947. Made from natural clay, extruded into pellets and dried, it is sold just plain and unscented, or with additives such as baking soda, chlorophyll fresheners, alfalfa, and essential oils.

In 1984 it was discovered that when cats urinated in a particular type of clay, sodium bentonite, the clay would form a clump, which was easier to remove from the litter box. This product became even more popular than the original clay pellets and today 90% of all litter sold is made from clay.

The problem with these products is they produce a lot of dust (although some brands claim that the type of clay they use produces a dust-free product), which contains silicon particles that have been established by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as a known human carcinogen. Clay particles tend to cling to your cat's fur and in-between their toes. In addition to leaving dusty cat prints on your floors, breathing these particles can cause respiratory infections.

A recent study actually found clay-based litter silica dust in cats’ lungs, and that cats with respiratory disease had up to six times the amount of silica in their lungs as healthy cats.

A product made for humans called Moltan Absorbent is also made from the same ground clay as cat litter. It is manufactured for use in garages to absorb oil. This product must carry a warning label that reads, in part, “Aggregate contains crystalline silica. Crushing, grinding, or creating dust may cause exposure to a respiratory silicosis or cancer health hazard.” "

There is this thread for the new Tidy cat Breeze system.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1750474

On that thread is also another link to a cat forum where someone else has tried it, and a third link to the Tidy cat site to see how this system works.

It's different from regular Tidy Cat which is majorly dusty in my estimation. I've been looking for a new litter too for this very reason. Plus, my cat tends not to cover her poop after the first use. :snooty: She knows how, she just doesn't like to dip her paw into used litter. Can't really blame her, I wouldn't want to either. :laughing:

This new Breeze litter seems similar to the Cat Genie in that it's large, non dissolving, waterproof pellets. But you don't need to wash the litter. You change the litter out about once a month.

Has anyone else tried this? I am seriously thinking of getting it. I figure it will cut down on the dust, and IF the pellets do not retain a pee smell, my cat may actually cover her litter more often.

There is this thread for the new Tidy cat Breeze system.
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1750474

There is also another link to a cat forum where someone else has tried it, and a third link to the Tidy cat site to see how this system works.

It's different from regular Tidy Cat which is majorly dusty in my estimation. I've been looking for a new litter too for this very reason. Plus, my cat tends not to cover her poop after the first use. :snooty: She knows how, she just doesn't like to dip her paw into used litter. can't really blame her, I wouldn't want to either. :laughing:

This new Breeze litter seems similar to the Cat Genie in that it's large, non dissolving, waterproof pellets. But you don't need to wash the litter. You change the litter out about once a month.

Has anyone else tried this? I am seriously thinking of getting it. I figure it will cut down on the dust, and IF the pellets do not retain a pee smell, my cat may actually cover her litter more often.

I love, love, love my cat's Tidy Cat Breeze. No tracking, no scooping every single day. The urine goes right through to the pad that soaks it up and the litter dries out almost immediately. My cat pees a lot, so I change the pad every 3 or 4 days. I only have to scoop when he poops, which is every other day. Word of advice, you do need to wait a few hours to scoop when the poop firms up. Otherwise, you have a mess. There is no urine odor and only a little poop odor until it begins to dry out. Gromit is 8 years old and had been using a regular cat box with scoopable litter all of his life. He transitioned to the Breeze in 2 days. Just follow the instructions on the box for getting them to transition. It was really simple and a great decision!!!

I like the concept of that box, but I'm thinking with multi-cat owners, you'd be buying pads and litter constantly!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter