• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"Dummy Cruise" questions

MickeyHereWeCome!

DIS Veteran
Could someone please explain what a "dummy cruise" is and if it works in conjunction with booking while onboard.

We are taking our first cruise ever.. a 3 night Dream cruise in 39 days, and I have a feeling this might be the first of many (hopefully).

While we have no immediate plans in mind for a second cruise, after reading so many posts here, this is what I've picked up in terms of planning ahead. Please correct my thinking if I've picked up or mixed up the wrong information!

While onboard, I should go ahead and book the cheapest cruise available, which secures the 10% discount and less deposit. I can do this easily by filling out a quote card instead of waiting in line? I don't have to really commit to that date (we're in jobs that require us to plan well ahead of time). Is this what is referred to as a Dummy Cruise? At some point before a final payment is due, I can call DCL and change my reservation (and discount/deposit) to a later date. Do the discount and deposit get applied towards the new cruise we choose? Is there a limit to how many times I can rearrange the date (not that I plan to keep doing it, but nice to know).

I'm certain we will fall in love and be inspired to cruise again, so getting that discount and doing things the "DIS" way will be helpful!

Thanks for clarifying if I have anything incorrect:)

Your understanding is correct -- you can book the cheapest available date, and change the reservation (paying any additional deposit as needed) when you know when you want to cruise. That will give you a 10% discount on the fare, an onboard credit of $50 or $100 (depending on the cruise length) and, if you book a cruise of 7 nights or longer, a deposit of 10% of the fare instead of 20%.

A few cautions:

Some dates (generally during school holiday periods) are black-out dates that are not eligible for onboard booking benefits.

Onboard booking benefits are available only if your next cruise ends within 18 months of when you booked onboard.

You've pretty much got it -- people book dummy dates on board either because they're not sure when they want to cruise next or because the date they want hasn't been released yet. By booking a dummy date, you secure the 10% discount and OBC. Currently, you can move the reservation as many times as you wish (as long as you do it before the PIF date) and retain the benefits. A couple of things have changed recently, one of which is the rules regarding the reduced deposit. Until the change, you only had to pay a 10% deposit, regardless of the length of the cruise. Now, you only get to pay the reduced deposit on cruises of 7 nights or more. For cruises less than 7 nights, you have to pay the full 20% deposit. So it's not as straightforward as choosing the cheapest 3 or 4-night cruise anymore.

There are two other changes to be aware of:

1. The "use it or lose in in 18 months" rule. You must sail within 18 months of making the original reservation or lose the benefits.

2. Blackout dates. Some dates/itineraries are blacked out, meaning that you can't apply the OBB benefits. Blackout dates have been released through April 2015. Speculation is that the blackout dates for the remainder of 2015 will be released in conjunction with the new itineraries.

Many here fill out a quote card early in their cruise to avoid waiting in line at the Future Cruise desk and get the job done without issues. Personally, I had a bad experience doing it that way once and will sit down with a CM at the Future Cruise Desk in the future.

Even with the recent changes, I still think it makes sense to book a dummy cruise while onboard. If you don't end up cruising within 18 months, simply cancel before the PIF date without penalty.

The OBC is actually $100 for cruises less than 7 nights and $200 for cruises 7 nights or longer.

Mommb, funny how similar our posts are! :)

Well you have a great understanding of the OBB process. IMO.

Book aboard for any short, cheap, date. Lock in 10% off, maybe less deposit, and an OBC of $100 to $200. That is said benefits.
That is called a dummy booking.

You can move it prior to PIF date as many times as you want, but, new rules kicked in now. So you must sail within 18 months of said initial deposit to retain said benefits.

You could also name a TA aboard if so desired. Often TA's will give OBC ($)
However, you must transfer to TA prior to PIF and with 30 days of deposit.

Hope that covers your questions.
And makes sense.
Feel free to ask any questions. There are no dumb questions fwiw. Only dumb answers. :lmao:

HTH

Just off the Magic this Friday, and was told I could only move my OBB once and retain the benefits by the Future Cruise Desk lady. I also heard her say this to other guests booking. I asked when this change was made and she said in November, when all the other changes were made. I was shocked by this, as I had not read this anywhere. Maybe she was wrong, this is certainly something that needs to be looked into, although I don't plan on changing my date for next year.

Thank you all so much! I'm definitely budgeting for the deposit for this! Those 3 nights will fly by and I know we'll be dying to return!

I appreciate the update on all the changes. Always good to know this stuff ahead of time:)

Just off the Magic this Friday, and was told I could only move my OBB once and retain the benefits by the Future Cruise Desk lady. I also heard her say this to other guests booking. I asked when this change was made and she said in November, when all the other changes were made. I was shocked by this, as I had not read this anywhere. Maybe she was wrong, this is certainly something that needs to be looked into, although I don't plan on changing my date for next year.

I just checked a bunch of web sites and not one of them mentions that you can only move a Dummy booking once.

Just for clarification. You can move an OBB as many times as you want.

You may move it, retaining the OBB benefits for 18 months.
After that the ressie still exists. The $ is still yours, and applied to said ressie, you just loose the OBB benefits.

IOW the deposit still is reserving said sailing/booking. You just may not still have the benefits of the onboard booking.
Ie; OBC, (100 or 200) 10 % off, reduced deposit.

IOW, deposit $ is always yours, unless you fail to ask for it prior to PIF date.
IOW, you will not loose your deposit $ whether made aboard or not.
You can always get you deposit $ back, if needed, if NOT booked CL, if requested prior to PIF date.

HTH

I'm trying to figure out all the rules of onboard booking as well. I'm going to try to sum up what I think I understand. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Benefits:
10% discount regardless of length of cruise
10% deposit for cruises 7 night and longer
20% deposit for cruises shorter than 7 days
OBB amount is dependent on the length of cruise

Must sail within 18 months of initial booking
Blackout dates apply

Am I right so far?

With that said, what if you were to make a dummy booking for say a 4 night cruise with the possibility or intention of moving it to a 7 night or longer cruise later on? Would they increase the amount of OBB you get since you're upgrading to a longer cruise? Would the 10% discount still apply to the 7 night cruise when you go to move it?

And what if you were to do it in reverse? Book a 7 night dummy cruise and change it to a 4 night later on. How does that affect the deposit and OBB?

Not sure if this is the right spot for my question but I've had a question. I've seen a few mentions on here of people booking when the dates are released then later re-shopping on board. How does this work? What do you tell the booking agent? Do you still get the benefits?

We're doing a 5 night bahama on the wonder in September and are likely to want to go again. After looking at some itineraries tonight I'm thinking a 7 night southern or Eastern Caribbean in September or October 2015. From what I've read the cheapest prices are likely to be once they release those dates and waiting till we cruise may not be the best idea.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? TYIA

Benefits:
10% discount regardless of length of cruise
Yes, generally, unless the it's Baltics or other black out dates.
10% deposit for cruises 7 night and longer
Yes. It's 1/2 the normal 20% so, ... 10 % is valid for non black out dates.
20% deposit for cruises shorter than 7 days
Yes, different rules apply for shorter sailings.
More deposit, less OBC, etc.

OBB amount is dependent on the length of cruise...
Yes. It's been this way for a while. Book a 7 night sailing, get $200 OBC. Book a shorter sailing and receive $100. OBC.

:)

Am I right in saying you don't get the 10 percent discount if going around Norway etc from Copenhagen

Why is that

Also what happens if when the prices comes out I book and then wait till my cruise in a few months and the prices are much higher do I still get discount or how's that work but I be worse of waiting to get the discount

Am I right in saying you don't get the 10 percent discount if going around Norway etc from Copenhagen

Why is that

:rotfl2: If only offered. lol. Don't count on it with this itinerary.

DCL historically only discounts off season, or slow sail itinerary's.

This Baltic sailing IMO, will likely have no discounts.

So yes. No one will receive any discounts, IMO, for this "fantasy" sailing, even though on the Magic. lol.

Did I miss something ? Is this itinerary real? What's up with all the noise?

Do we have more recent confirmation? Outside the port dates that this sailing exists? ?

:)

Why is that

Let me try to answer your question finally. lol.

Your are correct. You will never receive a discount for the Baltic sailings.
10 % 0ff,... lol, ..... never for this sailing.

Expect 40% mark up in fact. :eek: IMO.

Just to recap. In case you misunderstood my noise. lol.

Ok so if am booking for May/June from Copenhagen in 2015 there is no point in waiting till am on the ship as I wouldent get a discount anyway on this cruise

So is my best bet to get the cheapest fair to book as soon as it comes out ?

Garyjames220 said:
Ok so if am booking for May/June from Copenhagen in 2015 there is no point in waiting till am on the ship as I wouldent get a discount anyway on this cruise

So is my best bet to get the cheapest fair to book as soon as it comes out ?

If that itinerary is offered and it dies not fall into the blackout dates, then it could be booked onboard for a 10% discount, etc. Depending when 2015 cruises are released and when you are onboard, it mat be less expensive to book on opening day. You can then re-shop it onboard to see if any savings. I'm not aware of a DCL cruise originating in Copenhagen next spring, but maybe I just haven't been following plans in Europe that closely.
Enjoy your cruise!

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I have another obb booking question. We booked a 4 day dummy cruise and I would like to rebook a 7 day when the new dates are released. I paid the 20% deposit. When I move this to a seven day, will this be reduced to a 10% deposit? Hope this makes sense!:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter