• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dumb Question I Know?

No dumb questions.....

People will sometimes book a GTY room because they don't care where the room is they just want to get at least that category level. They will book the category they like, say a 12 and will be guaranteed a room in that category. They will also get a discount off the regular per person price as they are being flexible and letting DCL sell other rooms at the regular prices. Some even think this is the best way to get an upgrade. If you are in GTY and DCL sells all that category they will provide you with an upgraded room and depending upon the sailing it could be several category levels sometimes to a verandah, etc.

So someone may book a GTY because they are perfectly happy to have that category and don't care where on the ship it is (midship, foreward, aft) and they save a little money and very well could be upgraded. But if you want a particular cabin or area of the ship GTY is not recommended.

In our case, we were not given the option of a room assignment or GTY. We book the July 04 cruise back in April. Every travel agent we spoke with said "we cannot give you a cabin assigment but your category will be guaranteed." I don't know why I couldn't get a cabin assignment at that point. Still have not heard what the cabin assignment is.

Originally posted by Jackp0921
Do they not give you a room # until you check-in?

I believe you get your cabin number when you get your cruise documents (within 30 days of your cruise). From what I've read, the cabin assignment will be on your cruise documents as well as all your luggage tags.

yes many people get thier room # when they book . but they hold rooms gty so if need be they can maybe get an upgrade to a
nother cat so they can sell more rooms at the lower price . please i may be wrong but this was my interputation. or you may just get a room in the cat you booked?
please correct me if i am wrong my kids always do :D

Originally posted by Christine
In our case, we were not given the option of a room assignment or GTY. We book the July 04 cruise back in April. Every travel agent we spoke with said "we cannot give you a cabin assigment but your category will be guaranteed." I don't know why I couldn't get a cabin assignment at that point. Still have not heard what the cabin assignment is.

Sounds like the ship is sailing pretty full and your category selected is all booked, you might be getting a coveted upgrade. Good luck.

Yes you will know your room with your documents.

Huckster - you can only book one or the other. You can't reserve a room and then have the GTY, unless of course you have two diffrerent reservations. That's the purpose of GTY is to allow room numbers to be available for booking by others.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter