Dumb Question: Curious about Candy

GBBTomorrow

DIS Veteran
Here's a dumb thing I have been wondering. I have read a lot of people talking about the expense of candy on the ship and planning to carry on their own. My thought is that there is a ton of food, including desserts, available virtually every moment of the cruise. Why would anybody need to bring candy?

Personally, I find that outside of Mickey bars (and the very occasional MDR dessert), most of the desserts aren't satisfying. They are almost all gelatin based (including many of the cakes) or frozen cake products with no flavour (we call them "air cakes" in our house because they have no density to them).

There are times when nothing but a little chocolate or hard candy will do. We tend to sail during halloween so it's usually not an issue for us.

There really aren't too many desserts available at all times, unless you count ice cream. If you like to have candy, I would just bring some to have.

Last October we sailed, and went to the Not So Scary Halloween party at Magic Kingdom the night before. We went onboard with a 20lb bag of candy. I am sure the crew enjoyed it when we left it behind...told our room steward to help himself all week too!

The stuff that is available is hard to bring into the movie theatre - and I assume that's what many people bring them for.

Also, NOTHING other than room service is available after midnight.

My kids enjoyed the candy from the FE exchange. There's no candy on the ship otherwise - just cakes, ice cream, and various other desserts.

also for the shows, if you're used to candy during a movie or a show to munch on, it'd save a bit of money. I know my kids like to snack on candy at a movie and we saw 2 or 3 while on board last time.

wellll...i agree with the movies and candy go together crowd BUT

i also agree with OP that it is unNECESSARY

but you probably are aware of the scooter problems in WDW?:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

joking! don't flame!

The stuff that is available is hard to bring into the movie theatre - and I assume that's what many people bring them for.

Also, NOTHING other than room service is available after midnight.

My kids enjoyed the candy from the FE exchange. There's no candy on the ship otherwise - just cakes, ice cream, and various other desserts.

There is candy for sale on the ship, just not "free" like the food.

You can buy 'candy' on the ship in the souvenir shop. I bought a rather expensive bag of popcorn one night, cause I was craving crunchy and sweet. That isn't available for free. Just basic desserts.

I love munching on 'candy' sometimes, so would love to have something to grab. I'm not a big dessert fan. Could leave them.

But, I like to have candy. And if you mean actual 'candy', it's hard to find on the ship. So, I will bring some leftovers from Halloween. sour candies. little chocolate candies. skittles. smarties. candy. love it. Why not bring it??

But, I like to have candy. And if you mean actual 'candy', it's hard to find on the ship. So, I will bring some leftovers from Halloween. sour candies. little chocolate candies. skittles. smarties. candy. love it. Why not bring it??

Outside of the theaters, and I do believe there's a place up on the pool deck, but I might be mistaken about that one. Anyways, they have exactly what you are describing...BUT...they only sell them around show times.

They are likely talking about wrapped candy to bring to the theaters. If you get packaged candy on the ship, it costs you extra. And while I don't mind bringing a dish of those little pastries you can get in the Cove Cafe to the theater, I"m sure many prefer packaged snacks.

I don't get it either.

You can get fresh baked chocolate chip cookies at Cabanas at lunch time, all the little cookie bars, brownies, tarts, etc. at the Vista Cafe and Cove Cafe all day long, desserts and Mickey Bars at dinner, ice cream all day long on the pool deck, etc.

Some people just can't sit and watch a movie without eating, though. I personally can't just mindlessly eat in front of the movie screen. I end up feeling sick when I do that, so I don't do it anymore. It's a silly waste of 500 calories.

You can also get those big yummy chocolate chip cookies from room service 24/7. If I recall correctly, they (room service) have a different cake daily. You just have to ask. I love to bake, & unfortunately love my sweets, but I have not once felt even SLIGHTLY deprived from having plenty of sweets to choose from on DCL. Maybe it's because I'm not a candy junkie. I'd rather have something baked.......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter