Dumb Question About Postings Rental Lessons Learned

Minnies Dad

Earning My Ears
Sorry, just a relatively inexperienced renter and a really new DVC owner asking a dumb question.

On many sites I do web commerce on, rating products, buyers and sellers is a common and very valuable feature.

Now, on disboards it seems to me that renting DVC points is a hot topic from both sides of the transaction. However, if I understand correctly, posting about experiences with individuals, especially if the experience is negative, is frowned upon if not forbidden.

Again, apologies in advance, but why is this (or do I misunderstand)?

Seems to me this would be valuable information to most everyone involved in transactions, except of course to individuals who intentionally would not want to be posted about.

Lastly, my motivation to be up front: Just last year, I had a really bad experience as a renter. This might be rare, but it happened. I think my experience, from many standpoints, what happened, what I did that was useless, what I did which ultimately saved me from disaster and finally, who did this to me, would be really valuable information to many people who are entering into these transactions investing alot of their dispensable income.

I am now on the other side ... wondering what I am missing.

The DIS does not get involved with transactions between individuals and gains nothing from any transaction. The Rent/Trade Board is provided as a free service for those meeting the posting requirements and others are allowed to offer rentals after paying a fee (which may be taken into consideration by potential renters).

As for a rating system, we do allow and encourage comments about rentals. Positive experiences may be made on the Mousecellaneous Forum (including username of those involved). Other experiences may also be shared but we do ask that names (user or real) NOT be used since these are usually one-sided and unverified reports which will be considered personal attacks if names are posted. Generic posts about negative transactions are very welcome and have even been included in the warnings on the Rent/Trade Board in the **How to use this Board** thread.

Posters are also welcome to contact any of the Rent/Trade Board to inquire about negative reports about a poster before entering into a transaction.

Actually we have had very few reports of issues with any rental over the past 15 years, but there have been a few and suggestions about avoiding similar problems are suggested in the thread mentioned above.

Again, if you have experienced a problem with a rental via the DIS, feel free to report your side of the problem leaving out any personal names or usernames. Others can certainly benefit from learning about such issues.

I've never rented or plan to rent but it is disconcerting that names are allowed for positive experiences but not negative experiences. :-/

I guess I have read a couple stories about scammers on the rental side of things and the lack of knowledge of who they might be would make me want to stay away from it.

At the very least a rating system would be helpful.

Doc,
Thanks for all the info.

I will take my experience to other forum for others, especially since I did use the forums here and followed most every suggestion I found (references, previous postings, contracts ...) prior to renting. Even with all these suggestions, unforseen circumstances can result in bad experiences. I also found that in the short term prior to a planned vacation - the signed contract to be useless. The contract provided no leverage over an individual unwilling and/or unable to fulfill their obligations.

I also have observed that disboard members are passionate about many topics! I do wonder though ... ebay, amazon, newegg, other non-involved review/ratings sites - are susceptible and vulnerable to the same sort of one sided and unverifiable inputs that you are concerned about here. In fact, my experience at all of these sites is biased (sometimes passionately!) opinions are as common as verifiable data driven facts. In the aggregate though the information at these sites seems very reasonable and useful - both ways. Perhaps it takes care and feeding at these sites to keep it that way.

I do appreciate the great community and data here at disboards. Thanks.

... I do wonder though ... ebay, amazon, newegg, other non-involved review/ratings sites - are susceptible and vulnerable to the same sort of one sided and unverifiable inputs that you are concerned about here. In fact, my experience at all of these sites is biased (sometimes passionately!) opinions are as common as verifiable data driven facts. In the aggregate though the information at these sites seems very reasonable and useful - both ways. Perhaps it takes care and feeding at these sites to keep it that way. ...

I would not label ebay and amazon as "non-involved" as they receive income from every transaction made thru their site. In most cases, they are dealing with tangible items that can be shipped with a transaction history. The orders and frequently payments are made right thru the sites themselves, so they do have a high level of involvement. The DIS gets nothing from any rental made and does not serve as a middleman for any component of the transaction. Our Rent/Trade Board is set up only as a classified ad section where "buyer beware" is a key component of every transaction. That is the concept we have tried to emphasize in the threads suggested for review on the Rent/Trade Board. We are also aware of the small number of those posting (members and potential renters) who read any of the board policies - as evidenced by the large number of posts rejected before ever making to the board every day.

We have been contacted on a number of occasions in the past where renters or members have been disappointed with their transactions. While we will attempt to contact the other party urging them to try to resolve the issue, we have no ability to affect any real result. The most we can do in any situation is remove a user's access to the DIS. From our end, we don't even know the real name of most of our posters as everyone has been allowed to create their own username.

Some members have written complaining that potential renters failed to send any money after the reservation was made. One never even canceled the reservation expecting to receive payment up until the arrival date. Another member complained that he borrowed points to make the reservation but never received the deposit from the renter and another complained that the potential renter found a better deal with another member after the reservation had been made. Renters have complained that they have not heard from members after the reservation has been made (even though they can still view the confirmation). A few have certainly found their reservation canceled before or at arrival, but I can count those occasions on both hands - the members they worked with had not returned to the DIS since the reservation had been made. We have always been happy to respond to any potential renter (or member) who contacts Rent/Trade moderator to ask if there has ever been a complaint against "XXXxxxXXX" regarding a rental transaction. A yes or no response will always be made (and we have never been asked about a user who has been a problem either). We have not received any such complaints or requests in about 18 months at this time regarding transactions on the DIS Rent/Trade Board.

Regardless, the number of issues we have been made aware of is miniscule compared to the volume of successful rentals over the past 15 years. The changes we have made to the Rent/Trade Board policies over time have been an attempt to minimize frustration for all involved, but trust and Caveat Emptor between the involved parties are the most critical components of every rental.

...I will take my experience to other forum for others, especially since I did use the forums here and followed most every suggestion I found (references, previous postings, contracts ...) prior to renting. Even with all these suggestions, unforseen circumstances can result in bad experiences. I also found that in the short term prior to a planned vacation - the signed contract to be useless. The contract provided no leverage over an individual unwilling and/or unable to fulfill their obligations.

I also have observed that disboard members are passionate about many topics! I do wonder though ... ebay, amazon, newegg, other non-involved review/ratings sites - are susceptible and vulnerable to the same sort of one sided and unverifiable inputs that you are concerned about here. ....

DVC requires members to use a contract when "renting" points. It's in our contract with DVC when we purchased.

As for Amazon, Ebay, etc, the DIS isn't selling anything other than giving out information on Disney related information. Big difference. The main purpose of the DIS is for sharing information, not making a sale.

Don't forget the changes ebay has gone through... it's now highly buyer friendly and negative feedback can be disputed. It has become much more difficult to weed out unscrupulous buyers.:scared:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter