"Dumb" question about iPhone "Airplane Mode"

MrRay said:
Just to piggy back off of this iMessage works as both a data app and texting. If you are in airplane mode with wi-fi on you will not get charged for individual texts.

Yup! This is s great feature of iMessage!

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Just to be clear, you will be charged for phone calls, texts and data usage on the ship when at sea no matter what. That's because you are using the ships celluar (Cellular at Sea) and Wifi, neither of which is free.

Just to be clear, you will be charged for phone calls, texts and data usage on the ship when at sea no matter what. That's because you are using the ships celluar (Cellular at Sea) and Wifi, neither of which is free.

I was just going to say this, but you beat me to it. Also note that according to AT&T if you turn your phone on internationally at all when its not in airplane mode (for example to set the correct time), ANY calls and texts that go into voice mail after that are treated as if they were received in that country, even if you subsequently turn it on airplane mode. I thought this was ridiculous--I could just see someone texting me a picture, which would be VERY expensive--and so I'm careful to never turn the phone on after landing if I haven't bought a data package. I'm one of those that had a nightmare bill even WITH the data package. Apparently something went wrong and I was charged "accidentally" at higher rates. It was all cleared up eventually, but I had to pay a $600 bill and then have it credited. Now, I just use my iphone as an alarm clock and buy phones with local phone cards when I'm traveling. It's *much* cheaper. For example, in London we bought 3 pound phones and then bought 10 pound top up cards. We still had money left on our cards after a week of calling and texting.

I learn so much from these threads! There is never a dumb question! I am sending this while in airplane mode connected to the Internet!

The safest thing to do is take out the SIM card and put it in something like an SD card case, the kind you get when you buy SD cards. In the same case, keep a safety pin in it to use when popping the SIM tray out to remove and re-insert the SIM. Keep this case in your wallet or purse and always know where it is, when you decide to put the SIM back into your phone.

There will absolutely be no mistakes as there is no physical connection to your cell carrier. This is really helpful if you let your kids play with your phone and they figure out how to switch airplane mode off.

Wifi will still work. So in wifi zones, you can make calls using the app Talkatone (free) and text using TextPlus (free). Note both apps do not require the receiver to have the app or even a smartphone which is nice.
That worked no problem in our hotel and at the airports.

Because the iPhone has a GPS chip, full GPS apps also work without a SIM. The maps are stored locally but the full-featured apps are not free, eg; TomTom.

Wifi on DCL is expensive and really slow, I am not even sure it will support VoIP like Talkatone.

I'm from Canada, so roaming charges for voice and data are very expensive. My other options beyond the above are to pay for a travel package from my CDN carrier, or, buy a U.S. SIM in my unlocked phone and add PAYG minutes/data.

Well, you pretty much answered that for me. I just tested that theory. I turned on Airplane mode and turned Cellular Data off and turned wi-fi back on and texting still worked. Interesting. Thanks, folks!

Sorry--soooo not tech savvy here! I'm playing with my phone as I read all of these messages. Turned airplane mode on, turned wifi on--but what is Cellular Data--and where do I find that on an iPhone?

THANKS!

Just to piggy back off of this iMessage works as both a data app and texting. If you are in airplane mode with wi-fi on you will not get charged for individual texts.

Although iMessage can fall back to SMS, if you have airplane mode on, it will only deliver messages to other iMessage users. It will not send messages to to non iMessage recipients.

If you have decent wifi you can actually use apps that work in conjunction with google voice, such as 'talkatone'. Google voice by itself requires a cell connection. Of course you do need a decent wifi connection. The ships won't do it. I was able to place a short call from Nassau last summer.

There is also a similar app for android devices, but I haven't used that in years.

Strongly suggest you play with it at home so you know how it works.

Sorry--soooo not tech savvy here! I'm playing with my phone as I read all of these messages. Turned airplane mode on, turned wifi on--but what is Cellular Data--and where do I find that on an iPhone?

THANKS!

Settings - General- Cellular

Switch Cellular Data to off

Make sure Data Roaming is off while you are in the Cellular setting.

Settings - General- Cellular

Switch Cellular Data to off

Make sure Data Roaming is off while you are in the Cellular setting.

Airplane mode turns all cellular (local and roaming) off. Also, SMS come in via the cellular voice network. If you turn off airplane, any txt messages backed up will pour in at 5-10c a pop. No way to prevent it.

THANKS!

Airplane mode is the software equivalent of taking the SIM card out.
Turn wifi ON and you're good to go.

You don't need to find or do anything to Cellular Data.

However, I do recommend turning "Data Roaming" OFF, and "Cell carrier" set to your subscribed carrier, not "Auto". Doing both will prevent or at least the phone will ask you to accept changing carriers and letting data/calls/texts come through should you inadvertently toggle Airplane mode and turn everything back on.

Since our kids play with our phones, I prefer to take the SIM cards right out.

Airplane mode is the software equivalent of taking the SIM card out.
Turn wifi ON and you're good to go.

You don't need to find or do anything to Cellular Data.

However, I do recommend turning "Data Roaming" OFF, and "Cell carrier" set to your subscribed carrier, not "Auto". Doing both will prevent or at least the phone will ask you to accept changing carriers and letting data/calls/texts come through should you inadvertently toggle Airplane mode and turn everything back on.

Since our kids play with our phones, I prefer to take the SIM cards right out.

Ah, okay! Thank you so much! What handy info!!

OK. Now I'm totally confused...How do I get my iPhone to iMessage instead of text message? Help! And if I don't have children playing with the iPhone I don't need to take the sim card out just have it in airplane mode?:confused3

Tinked said:
OK. Now I'm totally confused...How do I get my iPhone to iMessage instead of text message? Help! And if I don't have children playing with the iPhone I don't need to take the sim card out just have it in airplane mode?:confused3

It will automatically iMessage when you're trying to text another iPhone

NurseDave said:
It will automatically iMessage when you're trying to text another iPhone

Only if data or wifi is being used. If no data/wifi, then it will send a regular text message to another iPhone.

Tiger

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

My DW and I just got off the Fantasy about a month ago my best suggest to you is yes keep it on airplane mode while on the ship you will still be able to use some apps you may want to make sure the app you want to use will work without a network connection , also you may want to check with your provider depending on the port of call you go to you may be able to use certain features for say I have Verizon and the iPhone 4S we were able to text and use data at no cost when we went to St. Thomas in the USVI when we stopped in San Juan Puerto Rico we were able to use text data and make calls for no charge so it really doesn't hurt to check with your cell phone provider ! Hope this helps

This has been successful for me:

Settings for iPhone 4 and 4s:
Disable 3G (Settings->General->Network->Cellular Data->OFF). Also check your Data Roaming; it should be off by default, otherwise turn it off

OR

Settings for iPhone 5
Disable (Settings->General->Cellular->Cellular Data->Off)

AND (FOR BOTH)
Make sure WiFi is enabled (Settings->WiFi->WiFi->ON)

Mail (Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Fetch New Data-Push->OFF and set Fetch to Manually)

I also turn off iCloud.

Put phone in airplane mode (Settings->Airplane Mode->ON)

If you wish to reset the usage counter to zero in order to monitor it throughout the trip and ensure usage remains at zero, go to Settings->General->Usage->Cellular Usage->Reset Statistics

DO NOT turn your phone on, until you are home (your country), if you don't have an international plan. You will be charged for calls received, even if you don't answer them and they go to voicemail.

Oh my goodness....I am so confused! :confused3 lol

I have an iPhone 3 and did not do the IOS update to get iMessager (my husband did and somehow his phone reset to factory default & he lost all apps, contacts, etc. so I was too scared.) anyway.....

All I want to be able to do is utilize a few non-web based apps (ship mate and my white noise app) while on board. Will use Wave phone to contact my family.

In port, I'd like to be able to get on Facebook to send a few pics for family. I plan on finding somewhere like the Starbucks in Cozumel to use the free wi-fi with purchase offered.

In order to do this and not incur any charges, would this be correct....
1. Put phone in Airplane mode upon boarding and leave it that way for the duration of the cruise.
2. When in port and at free wi-fi locations, I turn the wi-fi on, but leave phone in airplane mode. Turn wi-fi back off when finished at these locations.

Is that right? As you can see, I need very simple, step by step directions. lol

Thanks so much!!

I have an iPhone 3 and did not do the IOS update to get iMessager (my husband did and somehow his phone reset to factory default & he lost all apps, contacts, .

Is that right? As you can see, I need very simple, step by step directions. lol

Thanks so much!!

This is for iPhone 3:

Disable 3G (Settings->General->Network-Enable 3G->OFF)
Turn off data roaming (Settings->General-Network->Data Roaming->OFF)

Make sure WiFi is enabled (Settings->WiFi->WiFi->ON)

Turn of automatic pushing of email (Settings->Mail, Contacts, Calendars->Fetch New Data-Push->OFF and set Fetch to Manually)

Put the phone in airplane mode (Settings->Airplane Mode->ON)

Although not absolutely necessary, I wanted to be very sure I was not mounting up the MBs, so I reset the usage counter to zero in order to monitor it throughout the trip, ensuring my usage remained at zero. To do so, go to Settings->General->Usage->Reset Statistics (scroll to the very bottom

An Iphone can access wireless in airplane mode. Once the phone is put in airplane mode, turn the wireless back on without taking it out of airplane mode.

It never seizes to amaze me how you can find everything you need in life on the DISboards. DISers are great!:banana::banana::banana: I've put my iPhone in airplane mode on cruises but didn't know the rest of this. Coming home from my Alaska cruise on the Wonder I turned on my phone to check this at the airport in Vancouver which was a no-no. I got charged about $30 on my next bill. I'll be even more careful next time. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is why I'm proud to be a DISer.:woohoo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter