• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Dumb Question About Digital Film - Sorry

We Love Tinkerbell

Mouseketeer
I know this is a dumb question but I just want to be certain. Are the scanners at the port when you board and the ones you use when you go on and off the ship ok for digital cameras and film. I know they say the airport scanners are fine but I know someone who lost all their pictures thanks to a scanner so I just want to be sure.

Thanks and sorry about the dumb question.

It's not a dumb question. :) I haven't traveled with film for a while, so someone else might have a more up to date answer, but in general the security scanners for carry on baggage are usually considered safe for a pass or two. Multiple times through (5 or more) can still harm your film, though. The airport scanners for checked luggage are stronger since 9/11 and it's not recommended by either Kodak or TSA that you leave undeveloped film in them to go through security.

You can ask airport security for a hand inspection if you are worried, DCL may have this option as well.

I know some people really still love film, but just in case have you thought about investing in an inexpensive digital to supplement your film pics? I have seen some pretty decent refurbs in the $50-$75 range. When I do not feel like lugging my digital SLR and all its extras in port I shoot with a refurb Fuji F20 that I paid $90 for and the thing is awesome (My SIL is a well paid pro and does the same). This way you could take a few pics with that as well and know they would not be damaged. Just a thought. :)

Just keep your film in your carry on bag. The carry on scanners won't hurt them normally, but the checked baggage scanners are alot more powerful and you run about a 90% chance of losing everything if run through them, before or after you take the pictures.

Thanks for the help. I was concerned because the digital card has to go through the scanner when we board the ship and then again every time we go on and off the ship. I didn't know how often it could be scanned before there was a problem.

Oops, sorry... I just saw "film" and not "digital". Duh. :p

The scanners won't hurt a digital card, I've been traveling with mine for years and it's been through all sorts of scanners. No problem there.

There are different answers for digital and film. Digital typically means a memory card or built in digital memory on your digital camera or camera phone. Film typically means 35mm film in a traditional camera or most (underwater) disposable cameras. Memory cards are fine through security in both checked and carry on bags. Film that is ISO 800 or higher should be hand carried through security. All film should be carried on and not checked.

Here is an article from Shutterbug on the topic.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter