Dumb Poke Question

Maddysdaddy

DIS Veteran
Landlocked Canadian whose options to access to really fresh fish on a regular basis is somewhat limited… which is why I find myself eating copious amounts of poke during every trip to Aulani.

While not the best, I’ve found that the poke from the costco in Kapolei is still pretty decent, so normally stock up from there since it’s a multiple meals per day kind of thing.

But… I’ve now seen recommendations on a few websites saying that the poke from Foodland is almost as good as what can be found on food trucks on the north shore - hoping those who have tried it will jump in with their thoughts.

Thx.

Foodland slams. It is almost a destination of itself and you should go there.

I get Poke from Foodland and Costco, but more often Foodland... Of course, from food trucks and other places like Ono Seafood as well.

I like Costco's better, but I like getting more good enough Poke at Foodland :)

Great3

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I just recently watched a YouTube video in which the guy claimed that ABC poke is frozen and terrible. I believe (but might be wrong) that the grocery store across the street from Aulani is an ABC store.

Can anyone speak to ABC's poke quality?

I don't like the poke at ABC store as much, tried it once before and won't do it again.

Great3

The best Poke is right off the docks at Suisan Fish Market, in Hilo on the Big Island.

-Paul

The best Poke is right off the docks at Suisan Fish Market, in Hilo on the Big Island.

-Paul
While I love the good, cheap, and fresh (nearly impossible to able to get all 3) Poke on the Big Island, it's kinda hard to get to on Oahu! :) I think OP looking for suggestions within reach from Aulani.

Great3

Foodland for sure,,,,but,,,,ask for the fresh, not frozen. It does sell out so they might have. And there is a price difference, but worth it.

Landlocked Canadian whose options to access to really fresh fish on a regular basis is somewhat limited… which is why I find myself eating copious amounts of poke during every trip to Aulani.

While not the best, I’ve found that the poke from the costco in Kapolei is still pretty decent, so normally stock up from there since it’s a multiple meals per day kind of thing.

But… I’ve now seen recommendations on a few websites saying that the poke from Foodland is almost as good as what can be found on food trucks on the north shore - hoping those who have tried it will jump in with their thoughts.

Thx.
Foodland is probably second in Poke that is available in supermarkets. I would recommend Tamura's. There are a few locations around the island but there is one in Kalaeloa (near the Costco in Kapolei). Actually, just looked it up and says it's temp. closed. But...there is one in Aiea near Aloha Stadium so if you make your way to the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet, that's a must visit spot for a Poke Bowl. Make sure to get Furikake on the rice! Safeway Poke doesn't really excite me as a local. Costco...eh...it is what it is but usually very limited to the basic! The sushi platters that they sell (Costco) isn't that bad. Hope this helps some! Enjoy!

Thx, all. Grabbed Costco on our way to the hotel on Saturday. Already plowed thru it.

Stopped at the Foodland in the Macy’s mall this morning. Wow - no comparison. Costco is good enough, but this is the best poke I’ve ever had (keeping in mind that I’m a landlocked Canadian)… About twice the price, but well worth it.

Thx, all. Grabbed Costco on our way to the hotel on Saturday. Already plowed thru it.

Stopped at the Foodland in the Macy’s mall this morning. Wow - no comparison. Costco is good enough, but this is the best poke I’ve ever had (keeping in mind that I’m a landlocked Canadian)… About twice the price, but well worth it.

Wait, I am confused... Are you saying you like Costco's poke or Foodland's poke better. Guess my reading comprehension is failing me today. But no matter what, Poke/Sashimi is pretty much my favorite food, so as long as I get me some, I am a happy camper!!!

Great3

Last edited:
Wait, I am confused... Are you saying you like Costco's poke or Foodland's poke better. Guess my reading comprehension is failing me today. But no matter what, Poke/Sashimi is pretty much my favorite food, so as long as I get me some, I am a happy camper!!!

Great3
Foodland > Costco
Great vs. Good enough

After many, many samples that they kept offering, ended up buying three pounds of it - one each of the Limu, the extra spicy and the chili garlic. This was around noon yesterday - probably going to need a re-stock tomorrow…

Foodland > Costco
Great vs. Good enough

After many, many samples that they kept offering, ended up buying three pounds of it - one each of the Limu, the extra spicy and the chili garlic. This was around noon yesterday - probably going to need a re-stock tomorrow…
Awe okay, in light of your clarification, I re-read what you wrote and it made sense now. Don't know why it confused me at first. Yes, Foodland has many different flavors, and so many of them is good. I often get 3 lbs or more a time also. Yes, their fresh is way better than the frozen, but I do both. Enjoy your vacation!!!

Great3

Last edited:
Foodland > Costco
Great vs. Good enough

Hmmm... Here's my thought process:

Tamura's (Any location) > Times (Aiea) > Foodland (Kapolei/Pearl City) > Costco (Any but Hawai'i Kai has a Sushi Chef in house) > Don Quijote (Waipahu) > Marukai > Safeway.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter