Duct Tape

DisneyMommy1022

DIS Veteran
OK I am new to cruising. In fact we will be on our first cruise in May of 09. I keep seeing allot about " Don't forget the duct tape". Can someone please clue me in on why you need duct tape on a cruise???:confused3

Some people bring it to tape the closet door shut. We have never brought duct tape with us and have never had a problem with our door sliding open on its own (even going through the 20-30 foot seas of TS Olga last December). IMO, it's not necessary.

We have had a problem with bathroom doors and bedroom sliders staying open or closed on many trips. I try to bring a door stopper (or ask for one from a CM). I don't like duct tape as it leaves a sticky residue that some poor CM has to scrape off. They've got enough to clean up between cruises. They don't need that too.

I have a C-pap and use the tape to keep my extention cord to the carpet, never left residue, and no one trips or pulls out the cord. I have also used it for some interesting emergency repairs.:thumbsup2 :cool1:

We used duct tape to tape the suitcase back together when the zipper broke, lol

It's become a packing essential for us but I'm not sure we always use it!

You never know when you're going to need duct tape.
:goodvibes

Have you ever watched MacGyver?

Oh my gosh--that is SO funny! That is exactly what I was thinking! A paper clip and some duct tape and he could fix anything! My brother loved that show when we were growing up and now I just started watching the dvds with my 8 y.o. DS.

macgyver-missile.jpg

Have you ever watched MacGyver?

macgyver-multitool.png

Of course, don't forget the many other useful things you can use duct tape for. Due to some ill-behaved children who were left in the dining room while the adults at their table went to Palo and basically terrorized the servers and those guests dining around them this seemed fitting. ;)

Duct tape....it isn't just for your own children anymore.
ducttape.gif

Ok I don't think that I will be bringing duct tape, but thank you all for your replies! And no I have never seen MacGyver???? I was born in 83 dose that make a difference? LoL :confused:

We always take a small roll of wide masking tape instead of duct tape. It works just as well and doesn't leave any residue. We have used it to keep closet doors from sliding back and forth and DW uses it to make sure her contact vial doesn't fall over while the contacts are soaking in the cleaning solution.

I would never use duct tape. It leaves a sticky goo that the cm's should not have to clean.

We've never had a problem with any doors sliding, but I've read that some of the doors slide and 'slam' during the night, waking everyone up. That could definitely be a problem if you're traveling with kids, so a roll of masking tape might be better. No residue, and it would do the job just fine.

On our first Disney cruise in 4/05, one of our suitcases "developed" a huge gash in the side of it when we picked it up at the terminal upon debarking. After I submitted a damage claim at the desk, I pulled out our trusty duct tape from our duffel bag and repaired the gash myself. It came in really handy and doesn't take up much room if you pack it in a shoe!

Of course, don't forget the many other useful things you can use duct tape for. Due to some ill-behaved children who were left in the dining room while the adults at their table went to Palo and basically terrorized the servers and those guests dining around them this seemed fitting. ;)

Duct tape....it isn't just for your own children anymore.
ducttape.gif

Oh my - sounds like a story there....

As for us, we've used packing tape to help hold the upper berth rail in place to keep it from rattling.

Actually, this has become a staple in our packing. I hate that little crack in the curtains that lets the sunlight in your room in the morning - and wakes the kids up way too early. Along with that pesky closet door (yes, both cruises we had this issue!) it was very handy. As far as the residue, if you don;t press it hard onto the surface (yes, it will still hold!) it isn't an issue. We also took care of any that was left. Being responsible for our actions, is what I call it. Then no one else had to clean it up!

We used it to repair some bags that cropped up with holes in them when they got to our cabin. And we used it for a box (nope, no masking tape to be found when we asked around) that needed retaping to take off ship.

Used it to repair a pair of my daughter's sandals (the strap broke and they were the only white sandals we brought for her), and a small piece was used to hold a napkin a la bib style over her pretty white dress on formal night (bibs are for babies but the "clothes protector" our server made for her was for big girls!! worked perfect and no stains on the clothes....)

So, take it if you want. There's many uses. Or don't take it. Up to you and how creative you can be! To me it's like your passport, always have it when you travel!

Us backpackers ALWAYS have some along - wrap a length around a pencil so you don't bring a whole roll. And another use is to put on an area that might develop a blister - helpful for shore visits where you might be walking a bit.

And I use gaffer's tape, a version that's used by stage electricians - leaves NO residue, and actually adheres and releases better to things like floors, curtains, etc. You might find it at an electrical supply house, or ask your child's drama or band teacher if they might have access to some they can let you have.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter