Duck Dynasty and Phil Robertson

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO, it was kind of a stupid decision. Not because of what Phil said (althought I don't agree with him), but because of the way things work. As I understand it, Season 5 has already been shot and mostly (I'm guessing) edited since it starts Jan. 15. So they'd either have to revamp everything they've done or start the suspension when Season 6 starts shooting. By the time that airs, the controversy would be so old, people would forget why he was suspended.

DH and I were discussing if they (A&E) would have posted what they did is this press release and NOT suspended Phil they would have been way better off! This is now starting to feel more like a publicity stunt than an airing of their grievances of what was said

Hrhpd said:
That is too bad. (although not surprising.)

ITA! It's unfortunate, but it is how things tend to go, especially when moneys involved...morals don't seem to matter :-(

I for one am glad they are backing off. I am sick of people criticizing and punishing people for expressing their Christian beliefs. If it were any other belief they wouldn't dare to criticize them.

I swear, I think I'm the only one that feels this way: I couldn't care less. These shows, (these type of shows) which I admit can have amusing moments, are nothing but scripted crap that serve as nothing more than a waste of time. Congratulations, confirmation that there are a wide variety of views and opinions in this country. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and there's not much you can say anymore that won't piss someone else off. Who cares? Turn off the TV and play cards with your kids or something....read a book, take a walk, whatever. If Duck Dynasty is appointment television for you, or worse yet, DVR essential so you can binge watch it, have at it, but wow, I just can't find it in my heart to care one iota about any of this.

I for one am glad they are backing off. I am sick of people criticizing and punishing people for expressing their Christian beliefs. If it were any other belief they wouldn't dare to criticize them.

Oh hogwash. If he had a turban on and said, "Women are to men as dogs are to their masters," it would be apology tour 2.0 and OMG the terrorists are going to eat our babies.

I swear, I think I'm the only one that feels this way: I couldn't care less. These shows, (these type of shows) which I admit can have amusing moments, are nothing but scripted crap that serve as nothing more than a waste of time. Congratulations, confirmation that there are a wide variety of views and opinions in this country. You can't please all of the people all of the time, and there's not much you can say anymore that won't piss someone else off. Who cares? Turn off the TV and play cards with your kids or something....read a book, take a walk, whatever. If Duck Dynasty is appointment television for you, or worse yet, DVR essential so you can binge watch it, have at it, but wow, I just can't find it in my heart to care one iota about any of this.

We should form a club. :)

You must not have read everything he said. Even Palin admitted today she defended him before she read about his rants.

I could care less about the show and don't watch it. However, many do and will consider his racist and other views as more than a dumb reality star's ravings.

Oh hogwash. If he had a turban on and said, "Women are to men as dogs are to their masters," it would be apology tour 2.0 and OMG the terrorists are going to eat our babies.

:rotfl2: So true.

They never even pulled the show off the air. They were running marathons of the show while this whole saga was going.

They backed off because they don't want to lose the fortune they're making off of this ridiculous show. But they had to do something...those comments were horrible, and if they'd done nothing they would have had another whole firestorm to deal with because it would look like they condoned homophobia. I believe A&E is partly (?) owned by the Walt Disney Company as well, and they don't stand for those kinds of remarks being made publicly either.

Their 15 minutes will be up eventually.

IF A&E didn't do this whole suspension thing for publicity, then they sorely misjudged the entire thing.

1. Hell was going to freeze over before Phil Robertson apologized.

2. Most of the people who watched/sponsored the show were not going to boycott it because of his remarks.

3. His family was going to stand behind him.

So suspending him made NO sense unless it was for A&E's benefit to get publicity. If they really meant what they said and were truly outraged, then they have caved after making a threat was was unwise to make from the outset.

So I can't figure out if A&E is:

1. just a bunch of idiots who truly did not understand the mindset of millions of viewers

2. greedy and planned from the beginning to use this incident to garner support for their cash cow, Duck Dynasty

3. totally lacking a spine and unable to stand behind a decision

Really, none of those are good......

Their 15 minutes will be up eventually.

Almost everyone's runs out at some point but I would not count on theirs running out anytime soon. I personally love the family though I only watch the show sporadically, they have values and are one of the few shows to display them regularly. When you look at some of the other big cable shows I don't know how you can hate this one. They will keep their conservative christian base as long they want to stay on the air.

Defaming people in the name of religion, how very progressive. . . I personally am sad a&e caved.

Almost everyone's runs out at some point but I would not count on theirs running out anytime soon. I personally love the family though I only watch the show sporadically, they have values and are one of the few shows to display them regularly. When you look at some of the other big cable shows I don't know how you can hate this one. They will keep their conservative christian base as long they want to stay on the air.

And they can have it. I'll stick with Mad Men and reruns of Breaking Bad. They have no morals, but at least the writing is better.

I agree that A&E has no backbone. I did not agree with their decision but I felt it was executed poorly at best. I have little respect for them because I feel that they saw the dollars walking and have been trying to come up with a solution that would allow them to save face. I think the Robertsons have been telling them to pound sand.

:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

Those shows are not worth my time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter