Dublin....Anyone been?

Jordanblackpool

DIS Veteran
Hi Guys,

Hope your having a good evening. I was flicking through a friends facebook pictures this morning of Dublin, anyway...10 hours later theres 6 of us booked with Ryanair to go in January with a hotel right in the city centre....bit spontanious for me!!!

But my question is has anyone on these boards been? Is it good? Also what sort of things would you recommend doing while there?

Another question I have is is it expensive? Ive heard from some people its 6-8 euros for a beer....is that true??

Cheers guys :)

Dublin is amazing! :lovestruc
I didn't do any of the generic drinking type things, but did lots of other things.

Must do's (IMO)
Kilmainham Gaol
Guiness Storehouse
Wax Musuem
Malahide Castle and a visit to Tara's Palace
St Stephen's Green
Merion Square
Also the Dublin hop on hop off tour, use the green buses.
Art museums (if you're into art)
Also lovely just walking around, taking it all in. It's become one of my favourite cities. :goodvibes

I agree the buses are great to get around.
There is plenty of shopping on Graftan Street and in several shopping centres. (Primark is called Penneys there and seems to be even cheaper with the Euro getting better against the Pound.:thumbsup2) As well as sight seeing, the Temple Bar area for food and drink is great to walk round even just to soak up the atmosphere.
It is on the expensive side just like all major cities, I guess.

Phoenix Park is huge and Dublin Zoo is there and meant to be fantastic.

And you really can't go and visit without having a pint of the 'black stuff'. I'm told it only tastes the best in Ireland!

I love it as I got engaged there! :love: :laughing:

I went to Dublin a couple of weeks ago for a wedding. Would definitely recommend a sightseeing bus, it really helps get an idea of where things are and saves a lot of walking!! Also with you ticket you can sometimes get a couple of Euros off certain attractions which always helps!

I've been to Dublin a couple of times and my overwhelming memories are of it being very grey! I'd agree that the bus tours are a great means of getting a good overview.

I went to Dublin many, many years ago and my overriding memories are a tour of the Guinness brewery (Guinness definitely tastes better :thumbsup2 ) and breakfast at Bewley's on Grafton St.

Have a lovely time. :goodvibes

To be honest, I didn't enjoy Dublin. I thought it was dreary and there wasn't much to see. The only part I liked was Temple Bar. I've also visited Belfast and found it to be a much nicer city.

Another question I have is is it expensive? Ive heard from some people its 6-8 euros for a beer....is that true??

It's true, unfortunately. I thought people were exaggerating when they said it's an expensive place to visit but it really is. We were shocked! The price of stuff in the supermarkets/convenience stores is crazy too. My friend and I resorted to Tesco Value vodka! :rotfl:

If you're going to go, make sure you take lots of cash. :thumbsup2

Hi Guys,

Hope your having a good evening. I was flicking through a friends facebook pictures this morning of Dublin, anyway...10 hours later theres 6 of us booked with Ryanair to go in January with a hotel right in the city centre....bit spontanious for me!!!

But my question is has anyone on these boards been? Is it good? Also what sort of things would you recommend doing while there?

Cheers guys :)

If you go to temple bar it will cost more for beer ect as its a major tourist area most of us dubs stay well clear of it We have much better bars and clubs out side temple bar IMO. Shops have become cheaper here as they are trying to stop us going north to save money so are almost the same now we have a air coach that goes from the airport I think its €12 return but might be cheaper to get a taxi with 6 of yous

If you go to temple bar it will cost more for beer ect as its a major tourist area most of us dubs stay well clear of it We have much better bars and clubs out side temple bar IMO. Shops have become cheaper here as they are trying to stop us going north to save money so are almost the same now we have a air coach that goes from the airport I think its €12 return but might be cheaper to get a taxi with 6 of yous

Cheers for that i will look into it! Been told we need to go to Temple Bar for a pint from a few people, but dont stay in there for too many! Whats the local food like? any speciality dishes we should try?

Cheers for that i will look into it! Been told we need to go to Temple Bar for a pint from a few people, but dont stay in there for too many! Whats the local food like? any speciality dishes we should try?

Yep we have stew, coddle, shepards pie loads more Id say you can get a lot of this in the uk I have never tried these eating out only ate when I cooked it or when my mam cooked it for me as a child lol.

Temple bar is a nice area it will be a nice starter place most of the city center is walkable too so thats good

here is a site with a long list of places to eat just click into the places and lists will come up then click into pub/food place will have a menu and review from menupages so will give you an idea of prices. You will have lots of food,pubs and clubs to choose from in dublin city they are everywhere

http://www.dublintourist.com/directory/eating_out/pub_grub/city_centre/

. I've also visited Belfast and found it to be a much nicer city.

It's true, unfortunately. I thought people were exaggerating when they said it's an expensive place to visit but it really is.

Completely agree, whilst i enjoyed Dublin the price of things certainly did take the shine off of it a bit.

I visted Belfast just before Christmas last year and loved it, Would definitely go back there again.

I went to Dublin last December.
Look into the Dublin pass if you're wanting to do a lot of sightseeing.

Tour bus was good, saved us from walking for miles!!
We are more into our food than drink so we spent more on nicer meals but didnt go to Thunderoad? in temple bar for dinner and cocktails and i found this quite reasonable. There's a Hard Rock cafe too

I would definitely go back

Any other questions feel free to ask!!

The Temple Bar area is expensive for a pint, but there are plently of other places to have a dink in Dublin.

If you like whiskey I sugest you try the Jameson Distillery tour. I found it more entertaining that the Guinness Storehouse factory one.

We went to Dublin a couple of years ago in February and absolutely loved it. The Guinesss Storehouse was good but I think that there are better things to do in Dublin.

If you like a beer I would recommend visiting the Porterhouse Bar, there are 2 or 3 of them in Dublin, they brew all their own beers and some of them are really nice.

http://www.porterhousebrewco.com/

I would recommend the bus tour as it also gives you an idea of the layout.

There is no Disney store in Dublin though :(

Hi, we loved dublin, expensive...very much so, the only time I have EVER not had a glass of wine with dinner because it was so expensive.
But we were only there for 2 nights so it was fine.
It a really easy bus to get into town.
We walked around, the old jail is cool.

Cheers for the feedback guys, I think weve sort of prepared for how expensive its going to be now, we were hoping it was going to be relatively cheep but by the things im hearing its overly expensive!!!

Were just trying to find ways around spending fortunes over there now, cans of guiness in our room! :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter