DTD with kids

Disneyof3

<font color=deeppink>Mother of my 3 angels, heaven
Thinking of heading to DTD for a afternoon with the family. What is there to do beside shop and eat? From what have I read there's not alot to do. The kids are 8,5,3. the only reason I want to go is to get the Princess hot chocolate that changes colour.

Any suggestions are good!
If you know I can buy the hot chocolate in MK, then DTD is out.

Thanks
:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

There is a great Lego shop with a lego play area that younger kids will love. Also, the last time that we were there, there was a free boat ride from DTD to the West end/side. This was a great break for the kids, and saved little feet the hike back to DTD. It was also very pretty to see the lights from the water! And don't forget the carousel and train ride.($)

I've never heard of the Princess hot chocolate. Please tell me about it! :confused:

The last time we were there they had a DJ playing all sorts of fun music for the kids. It was like a dance party. Kids and adults both were up there dancing. My kids had a ball doing that, it is something they still talk about. I dont know if they do that all the time or not, but it was so fun.

It's been awhile since I've been to Disney :eek: but when we were there in Dec. and Jan. in the past, they've had a little skating rink set up, which was fun.

I also don't know if you scrapbook, or not, but to echo about the Lego area - it's not just for kids :o We spelled ou the names of each of the people in our group, as well as the date, and I snapped a picture of it. It made for a great opening page in my scrapbook - it's a reminder for me that even a group of college girls can have a good time acting like big kids :)

The Legos are fun and so is the build your own Mr. Potato head at Once Upon a Toy! We had a wonderful time with DD who was 2 1/2 at the time!

Last time I was there (Jan 2004) you could buy the hot chocolate at the candy store on main street - mk and I also believe it was in the kitchen/home store on main street.

Depending on the time of year that you are there, at the entrance there is a water squirting area that the kids really love to play on. Might not be an option on a chilly day or evening, but when the weather is hot and humid the kids can cool off and have a great time playing.

I don't know if it changes color, since we didn't buy it, but we did see it at a store in Frontierland at MK.

My kids have always loved DTD - when they were smaller they enjoyed the Legos, the squirting water play area, and the "Giant Mickey Store", which is full of toys and other interesting things. We always travel in December, so often Santa is in residence and musical groups are singing carols, and I think there is live entertainment at other times as well.

Now they are older, they still love roaming around DTD, buying small souvenirs for their friends, window shopping, munching goodies...and playing in the squirting water play area.

When we stayed at POR-R, we travelled to DTD via water taxi, which is really fun, too - I think the same mode of transportation is available from several other resort areas.:sunny:

We always do DTD for half a day. My kiddos LOVE the lego play area. The sundaes at Ghiradellis always look delicious. They also give out free samples of chocolate inside the store. On a nice day, it is really, really fun to rent a boat for an hour. We got the mouseboat and took turns--only 2 at a time allowed--or you could rent a bigger boat for the whole family. Dh and I get sandwiches at Earl of Sandwich (totally yummy), kids eat at McDonald's. There's also Rainforest Cafe, but not my favorite. Everyone has fun looking at all the stores that are there as well.

:jester:

Thanks everyone it sounds like it might be worth it for 1/2 day to go to. The Princess hot chocolate is just hot chocolate and when you add water it changes colour. Every can is a different colour. I've never got it before, I heard about it on these boards and I thought my kids would love it on cold days back at home after playing in the snow. Just a reminder of having fun in the sun. It is a 14oz can for 11.99. I wasn't sure if you could buy it anywhere else. We actually thought of eating at Earl Sandwiches for us adults and McD for the kids.

Think it likely will be a go.
Were going in Feb and were planing on taking the boat back to POR, because were staying there. Do you know the latest time to take the boat back to POR? Heard it is really nice at night!!!!

:Pinkbounc :bounce: :bounce: :Pinkbounc :bounce:

we went couple of times in the evening and they have a dance party for the kids where the seats are. It is really fun. All the kids dance.

DS was 5 1/2 when we went. Couldn't drag him away from Legoland and the Lego store. He loved building (& then printing-for free) his own potato head! Couldn't get him out of Once Upon a Toy.....huge toy store! He loved watching the toy monorail run! Your kids will enjoy it...it's Disney...there's something for all!!

There is plenty for kids to do in DTD. They can build Mr. Potato heads, play with legos (and look at the biggest lego statues they have probly ever seen), ride the carousel (sp), play in the toy stores, they have a play area where water squirts out of the ground (we have sat here for and hour and a half before) and if you head down to the West End, you can go to DQ (for a fee). Enjoy...

Isn't there also a little train and carousel at DTD? I know the ds's have road the train before and I think I remember seeing them both when we were there last time.

How much does it cost to go there, or anything? We don't have Hopper plus, just hoppers, and we are on property.

Can we go there on a day we haven't been to a park?

Originally posted by Lori S.
How much does it cost to go there, or anything? We don't have Hopper plus, just hoppers, and we are on property.

Can we go there on a day we haven't been to a park?

DTD is free.

The princess hot chocolate is also sold in a three pack in small cans. We got the Mickey, Buzz and Stitch combo and it's cute, but tastes gross.

DTD is great!!! All of the things mention before are wonderful. You may not be aware that there is a movie theatre if you want to take a break. And of course, DisneyQuest!!! That place is so much fun. It can be a little pricey but you can go after 9:00 or 10:00pm for a discounted rate.

Whenever, I'm in Orlando area I go to DTD sometimes I go there and not to the parks. My favorite stores are the Christmas Shop, the bakery, and the cigar place(West End).

:wave2: Have Fun!!!

I have another question for you DTD experts. I thought that you had to have a ticket to go to Pleasure Island in Disney Downtown . We wanted to go to one of the comedy clubs or something one night. Do I need a ticket?

Pleasure Island is a separate admission and you will need a ticket to get into it. Be sure to take ID to prove you are over 21 to drink. You will be given a wristband (proof your ID was checked and you're legally 21 or over) and will be able to enter any club inside (no additional charge). If you plan to do the comedy club, go EARLY. Lines get long! Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter