DTD - tell me what is wonderful!!

We just got back tonight :sad1: after a long drive.
One thing I would say is make sure you stroll through on a Friday or Saturday evening, as many street performers set up and the streets of DTD are really jumping. So much more than WDW DTD.
I was running behind last night and was trying to get a lot done but Calvin had to pause for a classical spanish guitarist, very lovely music. Love the street performances.

Brennans is great to eat and great music but it is southern and like House of Blues uses booze in some food.

ESPN Zone for the bathroom televisions, lol.
Buildabear is a must.

I can tell you what was wonderful about DTD - and that would be Dept. 56!!! Of all the non-Disney establishments which have resided in DTD, Dept. 56 was one that really worked well in a Disney environment. It just seemed to 'fit' perfecty there. Just as I think Rainforest Cafe fits in well to a Disney atmosphere because of its animated animals and all that (it reminds me of the Jungle Cruise, the Treehouse and the Tiki Room all rolled into one!), Dept. 56 had a real charm and magic of its own, and I assume it must have gotten a lot of business from visitors to either park, being in that location. That kind of specialty collectors store seems like it would tap right into the Disneyland guest market. Of course, now it is gone forever from DTD. But the little miniature villages they sold in there reminded me of what I would see on the Storybook Land boat ride.

Anyway, farewell Dept. 56. Mareceline's Confectionery, of course, is great - that's where I got my chubby gingerbread men with ears last December, as well as some Christmas tree cookies. Rainforest Cafe meshes well with the Disney vibe, I think. ESPN Zone does not fit in with a Disney vibe in any way, BUT they have really good food. Naples has good food. World of Disney, of course, is a great store. I personally really like Basin and Sephora, but they aren't exactly reasons to make a whole trip to DTD. I like the Build-a-Bear shop, and that is another one that I think meshes really well with the Disney vibe, and hopefully that won't follow Dept. 56's lead and leave any time soon. Anne Geddes' store always has cute things if you like the famous babies in planters thing. There are a couple of stores I can't recall the names of right now that are kind of cool, but they may be closing!

Oh - and the Walt Disney Travel Comnpany is there - the best place to go in and get FREE books/booklets (not just brochures, but actual magazine-thick type books) on the Disney Cruise line, WDW, DLR, etc. They come out with new ones every year, and I always make sure to go in and grab them. I love looking through the WDW book because I can keep up with all of the different hotels down there, and the package prices.:goodvibes

I miss Dept. 56, too. Now I am going to have to find a new place to buy my Snowbabies.

We like to hit Marceline's (line is always shorter than the Main St. candy place) and Lego. We love Catal/Uva and the Tortilla Joe's window for food.

I just realized I have never been to this Basin. Do they have the make your bath salts and the custom Mickey bath balls like in FL?

I am going to check about Build-a-Bear this time and WDTC - I can gather info to convince DH to buy into DVC!

We are WDW DTD veterans, but are doing our first trip to DLR in April. We are staying at Ho Jo's and plan to walk to the parks. What route would we follow to get to DTD. Can we walk there without having to enter the parks. Does any have any reviews on the Jazz Kitchen? Are there any clubs similar to Jellyrolls ?
thanks

Thank you all! What wonderful recommendations. We just may have to set aside more time than the hour or so I was thinking.....

Are there EVER enough hours in a Disney day?? ;)

I miss Dept. 56, too. Now I am going to have to find a new place to buy my Snowbabies.

We like to hit Marceline's (line is always shorter than the Main St. candy place) and Lego. We love Catal/Uva and the Tortilla Joe's window for food.

I just realized I have never been to this Basin. Do they have the make your bath salts and the custom Mickey bath balls like in FL?

I am going to check about Build-a-Bear this time and WDTC - I can gather info to convince DH to buy into DVC!

I am SO sad that Dept. 56 left DTD. Nothing other than an actual Disney-related store could make up for that loss!

Yes, check out WDTC. There is really nothing in it except some reservations people and the section with the books/booklets on the far wall. The one for the Cruise line is pretty thick. And Build-a-Bear is adorable - I don't know if they still have the same procedure, but they used to make the cutomers do embarrassing things when they built their bears, like yell at the top of their lungs, "I LOVE MY BEAR!" Maybe they don't do that now; not sure.

You're right - I noticed the Marceline's line as being shorter than at the Candy Palace on Main Street too. It smells so wonderful in there when you walk in - the air is just filled with the aroma of candy and cookies and sweet things. (Although I had a guy in line behind me who absolutely REEKED of smoke from every pore and he ruined the pleasant smell inside Marceline's!

I am pretty sure Basin in DTD has the make your bath salts thing, but I don't think I saw the Mickey bath balls. I could be wrong on that, though. They may have the Mickey bath balls and I overlooked them. Basin used to make several awesome soaps that had pieces of real fruit inside, but they changed the ingredients. They also had this AWESOME fresh lemon shower gel years ago that had FRESH pieces of lemon in it. It was the best smell ever because it smelled like lemon in a bottle - basically, it was lemon in a bottle. Now they sell a version of that same Lemon Squeeze shower stuff, but it no longer has the fresh ingredients. They just tried to replicate the scent which is not the same and I don't like it as much!:mad: Still, I LOVE stores like Basin, Body Shop, Bath and Body Works, Lush, etc., etc., so if I see one anywhere I will hunt it down, go in and sniff away!!!

Back in September 2007, I did get a Mickey soap set at Basin. I am not sure if they still sell it. Here are a couple of bad cell phone pictures of the Basin Mickey soap. Pardon the horrible quality!

MICKEYSOAP2-1.jpg
MICKEYSOAP-1.jpg

Never enough hours in a Disney Day - even a full Disney week!

For DTD we especially like the following:

World of Disney (I could spend hours here!)

ESPN Zone - food was great, portions large, good kids meals (not the same old burger, nugget, fries stuff)

Tortilla Joes - walk up window and dining room - both great!!! gotta try the guacamole!

Checking out the Disneyland Hotel and Grounds and the GCH Hotel and Grounds - beautiful and interesting.

Lots of spots to take pics all around DTD and the resorts.

Kettle corn from street vendors!

Marceline's....oh lovely Marceline's!!!

Jamba Juice for me and Haagen Dazs for DH.

Too much to mention!!! (and there is alot we haven't even tried...):goodvibes

I am SO sad that Dept. 56 left DTD. Nothing other than an actual Disney-related store could make up for that loss!

Yes, check out WDTC. There is really nothing in it except some reservations people and the section with the books/booklets on the far wall. The one for the Cruise line is pretty thick. And Build-a-Bear is adorable - I don't know if they still have the same procedure, but they used to make the cutomers do embarrassing things when they built their bears, like yell at the top of their lungs, "I LOVE MY BEAR!" Maybe they don't do that now; not sure.

You're right - I noticed the Marceline's line as being shorter than at the Candy Palace on Main Street too. It smells so wonderful in there when you walk in - the air is just filled with the aroma of candy and cookies and sweet things. (Although I had a guy in line behind me who absolutely REEKED of smoke from every pore and he ruined the pleasant smell inside Marceline's!

I am pretty sure Basin in DTD has the make your bath salts thing, but I don't think I saw the Mickey bath balls. I could be wrong on that, though. They may have the Mickey bath balls and I overlooked them. Basin used to make several awesome soaps that had pieces of real fruit inside, but they changed the ingredients. They also had this AWESOME fresh lemon shower gel years ago that had FRESH pieces of lemon in it. It was the best smell ever because it smelled like lemon in a bottle - basically, it was lemon in a bottle. Now they sell a version of that same Lemon Squeeze shower stuff, but it no longer has the fresh ingredients. They just tried to replicate the scent which is not the same and I don't like it as much!:mad: Still, I LOVE stores like Basin, Body Shop, Bath and Body Works, Lush, etc., etc., so if I see one anywhere I will hunt it down, go in and sniff away!!!

Back in September 2007, I did get a Mickey soap set at Basin. I am not sure if they still sell it. Here are a couple of bad cell phone pictures of the Basin Mickey soap. Pardon the horrible quality!

MICKEYSOAP2-1.jpg
MICKEYSOAP-1.jpg

I will definitely be checking out Basin to see what stuff they have now. I am so obsessed with bath stuff, too. (I wish there was a Lush anywhere near me.) Plus, they will make great gifts for everyone stuck back at home. The Mickey soaps are adorable. Hopefully, they will still have them or something similar.

DH agreed on Build-a-Bear (Cinderella? Tinkerbell? So many decisions. :rotfl: ), so I have added all these stores to my Excel spreadsheet (yes, I am that lame) for DTD. Yay for shopping! :thumbsup2

Never enough hours in a Disney Day - even a full Disney week!

For DTD we especially like the following:

World of Disney (I could spend hours here!)

ESPN Zone - food was great, portions large, good kids meals (not the same old burger, nugget, fries stuff)

Tortilla Joes - walk up window and dining room - both great!!! gotta try the guacamole!

Checking out the Disneyland Hotel and Grounds and the GCH Hotel and Grounds - beautiful and interesting.

Lots of spots to take pics all around DTD and the resorts.

Kettle corn from street vendors!

Marceline's....oh lovely Marceline's!!!

Jamba Juice for me and Haagen Dazs for DH.

Too much to mention!!! (and there is alot we haven't even tried...):goodvibes

Oooh, I haven't had the guacamole at Tortilla Joe's. I will have to try that. Their tacos are so yummy.

Yes, pictures! Take lots! There are so many cute pictures places - all the Lego stuff, WOD windows and displays, fountains, etc.

I will definitely be checking out Basin to see what stuff they have now. I am so obsessed with bath stuff, too. (I wish there was a Lush anywhere near me.) Plus, they will make great gifts for everyone stuck back at home. The Mickey soaps are adorable. Hopefully, they will still have them or something similar.
I don't know if they've opened yet, but Lush is coming to GardenWalk in Anaheim (on Katella near DL). :thumbsup2

We have to have the Beignets! They are my personal favorite. It is such a relaxing way to start your (very busy) day.
We also love :lovestruc the Lego Store. I always get more star wars keychains. Another must is, of course, World of Disney. Many an hour has been spent in there. :goodvibes

I don't know if they've opened yet, but Lush is coming to GardenWalk in Anaheim (on Katella near DL). :thumbsup2

I did not know that. Thanks so much. Looks like we will be making a trip to Gardenwalk - much easier than going all the way down the strip to Mandalay Bay while we're in Vegas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter