• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DTD Restaraunts

meeko66

Earning My Ears
What is your favorite restaraunt(s) in Downtown Disney? We know we want to go to the Rainforest Cafe. (We have been to four others and want to add this to our list) But there are going to be other times when we are going to be in DTD. Any good advice or comments would be helpful.

Thanks

WDW or Bust in 23 Days

I enjoy the RFC, but you can also go to the one in AK. I've been to both and have found both of them to be very good. You probably find them to be like the other four you have been to. Also in DTD Wolfgang Pucks Express is very good for a fast and good meal.

Hi,

Mom & I like the House of Blues! Very good food!!!

Allison

Portabellos and Bongos are good choices.

Alliecats, not only does RFC in DD take reservations, but they take reservations up to one year in advance!! Yipppeee! We're going on Christmas day and I made my reservation yesterday as a matter of fact.

Have a blast. :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

House of Blues (great food, music and service), then Planet Hollywood (ok food, but cool atmosphere).

I loved Bongo's Cuban Cafe and Fulton's Crab House when we went in January. We have a Rainforest Cafe right by my house in Texas, so that one doesn't give me anything new while on vacation. I'm sure it's alot of fun for those that have never been though.

We ate at Planet Hollywood a week ago, for lunch and loved it. I had heard some mediocre reviews, but we had gotten a coupon at our resort so my stepdad felt we should try it out. We were really pleased with it; the food was excellent! We had a late lunch, since our DVC tour took a lot longer than we had thought (all the paperwork when you buy takes awhile) so there was no wait, and the service was really fast. It's a bit loud inside, but we liked the atmosphere and the food a lot. Also love RFC.

Fultons. Its one of the only places there that we can't just eat elsewhere... like, we have a Planet Hollywood and Rainforest at home. Can't eat there!

Fultons was SO GOOD.

Wolfgang Puck's was pretty good. They slap a whole chicken down on your plate and you just kind of dig in. Their oven roasted potaotes are good as well. Then again, Atkins forbids me from that... :earsboy: :earsboy:

My favorites (based on multiple trips to each)

1. Wolfgang Puck
2. Portobello Yacht Club

Possible new favorite (one visit)

1. House of Blues

Least Favorites (based on several visits)

1. Fulton's
2. Bongo's

Just a reminder for those that love to frequent RFC.... Sign up for their Safari Club, it is SOOO worth it! Not only for the free appetizer (or meal discount), but for avoiding the long waits!!! ;)

I can tell you what two restaurants to avoid: Fulton's Crab House and Capt Jack's.

Fulton's gets some good notices and the lounge is attractive, but the prices are too outrageous - the service too uneven - to recommend having a meal there. You might luck out and eat some good grub, but better seafood is available at Narcoosee's or Flying Fish.

As for Capt Jack's...well, it gets my vote for worst restaurant in WDW. We had a meal here last month. After an hour wait (not a problem; it was a Saturday night, so we killed some time walking and drinking), we were seated and treated to the most grotesque dinner I've eaten in a long time. The seafood scampi was literally inedible: an unidentified orange goop poured over cold pasta. The service, however, was excellent. Our server was so cool that she acknowledged, "If I were you, I'd stick to drinks and appetizers tonight...."

Planet Hollywood and Rainforest Cafe are ok as far as themed restaurants go, but if you live in a big city you probably have one or both near you, so avoid them. They're loud and serve predictable food.

The best restaurants are probably Portabello Yacht Club and Wolfgang Puck's.

DTD needs to address the dining issue - for such a large complex catering to locals as well as WDW guests it's consistently mediocre. Let's put it this way: I regret Chef Mickey's moved from its Marketplace location to the Contemporary. This is when it was known as Chef Mickey's Village Restaurant and offered an outstanding brunch.

What about Wolfgang Puck Express. We really do not want to do a big sit down dinner when we go into DTD and we're thinking Wolfgang Puck Express would be a good bet. Any opinions? How's the pizza and mac n cheese? We also are going to have to leave room for Ghirardelli's!:earseek:

Fulton's is a must do in our book. We always had good service, although first trip it was obvious they were running behind in the kitchen. IMHO the prices are right inline with the other WDW restaurants. Sure pricy if compared to Red Lobster, but part of what you are paying for is the atsmophere of eating on a boat.

They are all good, I think, with the exception the Fultons Crab House. We have had two BAD BAD experiences there. Will never go again, too expensive and bland food.
I'd say avoid it...anyone agree?

Wolfgang Puck's Express is usually our first night meal. We go to DTD to get our annual passes, then stop in for the pepperoni and cheese pizza. I love this pizza. The chicken and mashed potatos and the sandwiches are good also--but bring on the pizza!

Any opinions on the sitdown Puck's vs the Express?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter