• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DTD after dark with kids?

pta-mom

<font color=deeppink>The three-second rule does no
What is there to do in DTD after dark when you have kids with you? I know there's shopping & DQ, which we have passes for, but I was wondering more about a pub or clubs. Is there any clubs that is "kid friendly" in DTD? Someplace to go & maybe listen to a band or something? My sons are 10 & 11 so I'm not talking about a dance bar. Any ideas?

The Adventurer's Club is a possibility, depending on what all of you enjoy.

It's a series of venues--sort of colonial British setting--with characters who interact with the audience. It can be a bit risque--particularly later in the evening and the bar does serve alcohol.

I've seen a couple of children there in the early hours--usually around age 12 and up. The CMs try to keep it pretty clean when they know children are present, but it's possible not all of the guests have the same concern. Quite honestly, I would take the 9 year old lass who will be in our group in December--she could handle it and some of it would wash over her. Really depends on the individuals.

This isn't an "active" club--it's more sitting, watching and interacting. But it is fun! :)

You can take them to the Adventurer's Club and the other things in PI, but I read in the UoG that the later in the night it gets, the more apt you are to some good natured ridicule from the performers for having your kids there.

When we go, we stay at POR. The kids enjoy the boat ride to DTD in the dark, and just walking around the water. I'm sure your boys wouldn't object to an extended visit to the LEGO store. Another big draw is a stop at the candy shop down there.

I would probably stick with shopping or DisneyQuest, or even take them to a movie. Do a Hollywood themed night out and eat at Planet Hollywood and let them pick a movie???

Thanks! That Adventurer's Club sounds interesting...I'll check it out at Allears. Anything else similiar to that in DTD? Do you need to pay admission to get into PI? We do have the DQ & waterparks too...does PI get included in that package?

They also have a stage setting in DTD that has some childrens performers and some dancing for the kids. My daughter really enjoys that (and its free), but I'm not sure if you kids are a little too old for that.

Pleasure Island is included in the Water Parks and more option, but it uses up one of your admissions. So if you have 3 water park options, two would go to water parks and one to PI, even if you used them all the same day. Don't want to see you waste them all on one day.;)

If you're kids are into Lego they have the Lego Imagination Center on the Marketplace side and right outside is an area where they can build anything they want with them.

Pleasure Island is included in the Water Parks and more option, but it uses up one of your admissions. So if you have 3 water park options, two would go to water parks and one to PI, even if you used them all the same day. Don't want to see you waste them all on one day.;)

Oh..that's interesting, I didn't know that! Does that mean that if we go to a water park during the day, than do DQ late afternoon & than PI later in the evening,that would count as three admissions? We do have park hoppers too...do they count for this if we did these on the same day?

Oh..that's interesting, I didn't know that! Does that mean that if we go to a water park during the day, than do DQ late afternoon & than PI later in the evening,that would count as three admissions? We do have park hoppers too...do they count for this if we did these on the same day?
I am not sure about Disney Quest but I do know if you go to a water park and a Pleasure Island club on the same day, it does count as two days on you're passes.

Please keep kids out of clubs. DW and I love Adventurers Club and have been going since honeymoon over 14 years ago. It is a club where adults are drinking and in my opinion not a place for kids. DW and I will be taking our nieces 9 and 13 in 9/07. As much as I would like to go there we will not because this is for adults not children. Please save the maturity issue as too me that means kids are little adults which is nonsense. Kids do not belong in bars or clubs. Flame away

I have to agree with JCuel on the kids and clubs issue. There is so much to do in the Disney/Orlando are that is specifically geared towards kids and families so why even take kids into a bar/club and take a chance that they will be exposed to things they don't need to see and hear?

When PI opened I remember it being advertised as a place for adults to have an evening night out - great for those adults without kids along who come to WDW or for parents who arrange for a sitter so they can have a night out if they choose. Even though my husband I both drink, we didn't take our kids out to bars or clubs at home when they were young and we wouldn't do it on vacation - both for their sake and for the sake of adults who might enjoy a "kid-free" evening.

I have to agree with JCuel on the kids and clubs issue. There is so much to do in the Disney/Orlando are that is specifically geared towards kids and families so why even take kids into a bar/club and take a chance that they will be exposed to things they don't need to see and hear?

I agree. While the performers in the clubs may tame their act down (is that really fair to the adult patrons??), you can't control the folks around you while you are walking around PI. As some of the other threads are demonstrating, it's hard enough to control some people sober in the parks, let alone giving them a few drinks in a place they feel like they can let loose.

To pta-mom: The park hopping ability extends only to the four major parks. The extra admissions are one-day only uses. So, if you went to BB then back to the hotel, and back to BB the same day, that would count as one of your extra water/more admissions. If on the same day you went to BB and TL, that would take away two of your extra admissions.

I organized a trip for 37 this year, and had to make it perfectly clear how these would be used up. I didn't want some folks using up all of their passes too quickly or unwittingly, because somehow it would have been my fault.;)

Now, all four theme parks on one day with a park hopper is fine.

Personally, I would never take young kids into the AC or the comedy club at PI. I have seen it though. That said, I do not see anything wrong with taking a mature 16 or 17 year old. My nephew is 17 and we will be taking him with us in August and have plans to go to both the comedy club and AC.

OK all...thanks for your ideas! I don't really want this thread turning into some ethical debate on whether kids should or should not be allowed into some place...I really don't know fully what PI or the Adventurer's Club is all about & when I have some extra time, I'll check out Disney's & Allears website for some info & than make the decision that works best for my family.

I'm not really asking about the merits of taking children into places that I can expect some drunks to be or lewd entertainment! Again, my question is: Where are some good places (in your opinion) to take my 10 & 11 year old sons after dark in DTD? When I asked about pubs or clubs, I was thinking more about listening to some music, having some munchies, something cool that boys that age might like. Both my boys play instruments so we often go to the local pub for a late dinner & to hear some music, leaving around 10ish to allow for the "party-people" to do their thing.

Thanks again everyone for giving the ideas I have so far, any more?

How about Raglan Road for the music and dancing? It's a pub and there are plenty of kids in there.

Yea, M-Sat starting at 9pm, there is an amzing Irish band at Raglan Road. Parents can do drinks while the kids just eat some really good apps!

Ragland Road. Its a great place for the whole family. I assume that Disney Quest is not really "club" enough for the adults, but I'm sure your boys would love to put in some time there. I also think the House of Blues is a good option. They have a resturant that has live music as well as the concert part. Have a great trip!

Again, my question is: Where are some good places (in your opinion) to take my 10 & 11 year old sons after dark in DTD? When I asked about pubs or clubs, I was thinking more about listening to some music, having some munchies, something cool that boys that age might like. Both my boys play instruments so we often go to the local pub for a late dinner & to hear some music, leaving around 10ish to allow for the "party-people" to do their thing.

Just a different suggestion here. But what about the Boardwalk? The boys might enjoy the ESPN SportsZone, if their into that. But other than that, thurs-sun, their are carnival type activities all around the Boardwalk. That might be more the scene you are looking for. I would suggest JellyRolls, but allearsnet says that you have to be 21 for that. Does anyone know any different policy towards parents with kids?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter