• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DSLR Self-Help?

Maleficent Dragon

Member Since 2004; lost previous login.
I have a DSLR 3300 with several lenses. I also have a tripod. I have taken less than 500 pictures with it. I am going to Disney solo in December and want to take a lot of pictures. I did a basic Google search about how to use my camera (maximize the use of it, not just take pictures) and everything points me to photography classes. I could take the lessons, but $50 - $80 for 30 minutes is not really a good use of MY money in my opinion when you have to sign up for a minimum of 12 classes. (a quarter/semester is required).

Some of you here take amazing pictures. Do any of you have websites or could you refer me to a website that could teach me how to use my camera and improve my shots?

I know a lot of people adjust their pictures using Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. I have PE, but I just want to learn how to use the camera simply by adjusting settings and such without a lot of modifications afterwards.

My fav classes were from the local night school. For a few hundred dollars.... a dozen students would get together to give constructive critism on each other's images with suggestions for improvement. Assignments would be given out and it was each week the result were put on projector for everyone to evaluate.

I am not that great either...
I think I am getting better though. Instead of taking classes, I just take more pictures and experiment. Through experimentation I am starting to see what works for me and what doesn't. Since I only care what I think of my pictures, I only work at making myself happy.
I purchased a new camera before Christmas, and so far I have taken over 10,000 pictures. This may seem like a lot, but I have my camera with me wherever I go. When I get home, I look at my pictures and try to remember what worked and what didn't.
When I run into something that I am not happy with, I try to make it work next time. If this doesn't work, I look,on YouTube for directions/instructions.

Dslr for Dummies... Understanding Exposure...

Books are the simplest cheapest way to go.

Here's what I did:

1) Read "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

2) Ask tons of questions here.

3) Get out and start shooting!

Each of those steps is very important. If you really want to maximize what you get out of your camera at Disney, you need to spend some serious time with your camera between now and then.

I've nerver attended a class but have learnt alot from the internet, books, magazines and experimenting with settings and seeing what happens. Go on youtube and enter your camera model and the word 'tutorial' would be a good start. Join photography forums, study exif data on sites such as Flickr but most importantly go out and practice.

Oh my goodness. I dont know why I didn't think of YouTube!!! :P That will most likely give me exactly what I need!!!!

Do you have the Nikon 3300? There are lots of books specific to your camera that could be very helpful in learning all the controls and how to effectively use them.
ALso check out your library!

amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nikon+3300+manual&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anikon+3300+manual

After you master the basics of the photographic triangle of Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO, then practice, practice, practice. Put yourself in positions of difficult lighting shots or anything that that will cause you to think on how to best achieve a difficult shot. You never stop learning! Yesterday, I was shooting an event and was having a bad flash day. This morning (7:00 a.m.), I'm in my office at my house with two of my DSLR's(different models) and three different flashes practicing to fix my problem. Keep studying, practicing and learning.

First, fully know your camera inside and out. Know how it reacts in diff daylight. Does it have a tendency to under expose it certain situations...etc
Then B&H has a youtube channel with tons of videos covering lots of subjects including travel photography.
Also Bryan Peterson(author of Understanding Exposure) has videos through Adorama as well.

You certainly can find a great deal of information for free on the Internet, you may have to weed through some garbage but it is out there for sure.

I agree that spending time behind the glass is the best way to improve, but you need to make sure you have a good foundation in the Photographic Triangle.

For me, I have found the Online Courses to be very helpful - I have take Bryan Peterson Understanding Exposure Coufse Online and it was great, best money I could have spent for me. Here is a link to a review and some more information on the course. I have also signed up with KelbyOne and been very happy with the material.

Good luck

YouTube is your (and my) friend!

Check out Mike Browne & Matt Granger. They are instructional and informational without being too high and mighty (like some others on YouTube).

Just my .02¢.

I find that youtube videos are hit or miss as far as what is quality and what is a waste of time. There are 2 online places that were recommended to me - one was lynda.com and the other was kelbyone.com. I've been using lynda.com for a while and like the variety of the online tutorials. Both have free trial periods and are roughly the same cost $25/month for unlimited access.

Another great learning tool is to buy a book specific to your camera. I used the "From Snapshots to Great Shots" book by Rob Sylvan for my camera model and I was surprised at how much I didn't know about my 5100 that I had been using for a while.

I have taken several classes local to me in the $40-$80 range each. Best person I found on that came through a groupon. If you are in a reasonably metro location, I would bet there is something close. Or you could join a local camera club almost for free. Make friends with a veteran Nikon user and it is likely they would be happy to tutor you. I know I would. I love talking photography with those that share my passion.

I find that youtube videos are hit or miss as far as what is quality and what is a waste of time. There are 2 online places that were recommended to me - one was lynda.com and the other was kelbyone.com. I've been using lynda.com for a while and like the variety of the online tutorials. Both have free trial periods and are roughly the same cost $25/month for unlimited access.

Another great learning tool is to buy a book specific to your camera. I used the "From Snapshots to Great Shots" book by Rob Sylvan for my camera model and I was surprised at how much I didn't know about my 5100 that I had been using for a while.

I have just discovered that I have access to lynda.com through the university I am attending. I am going to check them out for some photography tutorials.

KelbyOne.com has a ton of great videos from software, to info on your specific camera, to photography skills. I think for the quality and variety, the price can't be beat. I have learned a lot in a short time this way. And yes, learn about something then go out and shoot. It's the only way to really learn. And don't try to learn too much too soon. It's easy to get overwhelmed for sure. Have fun!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter