DSLR Popularity

rdunative

DIS Veteran
I've been going to Disney World about twice a year since 2006 and never seen so many DSLRs as I have last week. Good to see people enjoying the hobby and taking their photos more seriously.

Still, plenty of them using a flash at night for landscape/architecture photos but it's a step in the right direction from cell phone pics. ; )

It's like people who have to buy a boat but don't know a thing about navigation. Still, as you have said it's nice to see them take it a bit more seriously.

I just got back last week and I'd say there were ten times as many dslr s as when we went 18 months prior. They were every where.

Virtually every one had a standard kit lens and was being shot in auto.

It was comical to see the people (as I first was in my first week or two) wondering why their flash kept poping up or whatever.

What was very aggravating was the insane amount if flash photography on rides. Little mermaid was the worst. Not just dslrs but cell phones, point and shoots....

The amount of dslr pop up flashes used during F! Was also crazy. Luckily we were in the front and side with a dinner package.

Costco has more dslrs for dale than ever before. Back 1-2 years ago Costco Carried 1 canon and 1 Nikon dslr in store as a standard and rotated out some others. Now they have half a dozen dslrs on any given day in store.

I think it's good and bad. Given most people are inconsiderate, head in the clouds, no one maters but me idiots, the hobby is going to get a bad name and have lots rules and restrictions put out because of them and this new up tick.

I hope I'm wrong. Maybe there could be an etiquette guide put in every box?

If someone wants to purchase and carry around a DSLR and use it in auto, I have no problem with that. Their photos, not mine.

Okay, it's whine time:

Now, it is annoying when someone (typically a young stay-at-home mom or young jobless graduate with daddy's money) purchases a fancy camera, post-processes with a bunch of Instagram-type filters, and then calls herself a photographer and charges people for sittings. If you want to learn about photography and develop your skill, that's great. But don't charge people for overexposed photos with terrible composition.

The client, however, doesn't seem to mind. This is kind of going in the PP+ thread that someone started... a lot of people don't care about good photos. They just want photos, and if they look good in it, that makes it a great photo, despite the flagpole sticking out of the top of their head and blown out skin. I work for a professional photographer, and we shoot high school senior photos. Whenever we pull them right off the camera and let the seniors click through them, for some reason, these kids love overexposed photos. There will be three photos of the same pose with the first overexposed and the rest corrected... and they want to buy the one that's blown out! We call it "the Instagram effect." I guess the overexposure washes out their sweat and acne (which I get rid of anyway) and gives their skin a nice glow. I can't stand it.

I think it's the idea that a DSLR=good photos. Manufacturers did a good job convincing the public that they are necessary.

LittleMissMagic-- that used to bother me as well. But I came to the realization that what someone else does has no impact on my work, or what people think of what I do. So who cares if someone is gullible enough to pay for their crap. I'll keep doing my thing and they can do theirs.

i am hoping to buy my first for my birthday in august. which will give me about 5months to learn how to use it.

i dont want fancy lens while i am learning but i do want to learn about lighting, backlighting, shadows, etc.

i read this board nightly.

Ha! Ok, the replies so far are exactly what I was thinking but didn't want to put in all in the first post. I think they think it makes them look cool are like they know what they are doing, but after watching them for a minute or two I realize they need to stick with the point and shoots.

Saw a gentleman with a nice DSLR fire off a shot of Germany while in the beer line. One handed, full flash, and you could barely see the building in his preview. Then he took another one, exactly the same. I just shook my head.

Yes, I agree, what people do with their money is their business but jeez...

As long as it keeps people from using their ipad as a camera I don't care.
:rotfl2:

Can't tell you how many times I saw this as well!

I think that it's simply that dSLRs have become relatively affordable, with lots of amateur friendly features. Even for a total amateur on auto mode with a kit lens, the camera will have advantages over a point and shoot. Such as fast auto focus to keep up with children.

So it seems to me that a dSLR is on the list if must-have items for middle class/upper middle class families, along with broadband Internet, smart phones, etc.

I think it's the idea that a DSLR=good photos. Manufacturers did a good job convincing the public that they are necessary.

:thumbsup2 Yep! I think that's 99% of it. An entry level Canon/Nikon DSLR and a decent lens (which most if not all that I saw were) are still the basic price range as several years ago. With the crowds and money I saw flying around that place I don't think price is too much of a factor for those folks. Combine good marketing and the coolness factor they think they are presenting and I can see how it's exploded.

I saw a post a Facebook post where a lady friend said "I guess I'll jump on the camera bandwagon and ask for a DSLR camera for Christmas" and this was Christmas of 2011. I didn't know such a fad existed or what she meant by that statement and didn't think nothing of it until I go to WDW last week. Oh my, now I do.

Right there with you. These people just get Nader my skin. I have an iPad. It's the worst camera ever. Barely good enough for face time.

The other one that gets me is all the people using flash at a 50,000 seat baseball game.

Like your pop up flash will make an impact for 200 yards away.

Saw a gentleman with a nice DSLR fire off a shot of Germany while in the beer line. One handed, full flash, and you could barely see the building in his preview. ll!

With some exceptions. You can tell the folks who don't know what they are doing when they "bird dog" the LCD review after every shot they take.

I will use the LCD to check exposure on 1 or 2 shots for an environment. But I have review turned off and can o hours without looking at the pix in my camera

Right there with you. These people just get Nader my skin. I have an iPad. It's the worst camera ever. Barely good enough for face time.

The facetime camera on the screen side of the iPad is a different camera than the camera on the rear. So while it may be "barely good enough for face time," know that it's a different, lower-quality camera than that on the rear.

The manufacturers are catering to the average folks. They need to sell cameras and accessories. Did you ever see a scene mode on a film slr? They dummy up the cameras. Colors is another issue because folks can buy a P & S in a multitude of colors. They're asking why can't I get my DSLR in colors. Its all about the market. I am convinced (I could be wrong) that's why we have video on DSLR's. It started in the P & S market and then was extended to DSLR's. The novices moving up to the 'big' camera wanted the same options that were available on their P & S. For me, if video was never on a DSLR, I would never miss it. Its all about what and how many cameras the manufacturer can sell.

I do have to wonder about the video aspect Papa.

My G11 takes great HD video, focus' pretty well too.

Even with the STM lens, the T4i isn't as fast on focus. Good picture when in focus though.

Strange indeed, the Ipad thing made me laugh. I saw dozens of people each day using an Ipad to take pictures. :eek:

I do have to wonder about the video aspect Papa.

My G11 takes great HD video, focus' pretty well too.

Even with the STM lens, the T4i isn't as fast on focus. Good picture when in focus though.

Strange indeed, the Ipad thing made me laugh. I saw dozens of people each day using an Ipad to take pictures. :eek:

Video is another marketing tool. Whether its good or bad, whether they include it on a DSLR or not makes little difference to me. I have never taken the time or given the effort to learn the nuances of video. Once I get into something, I have tendency to push it all the way to become (being a Marine please forgive me for borrowing an Army term :rotfl2:) the best that I can be! I have enough trouble with still photography without attempting to add video to my skillset! The manufacturers, as a previous poster stated, are flooding the market with relatively inexpensive, good DSLR's. Look at the Ashton Kutcher Nikon commercials. They tout the ease of shooting lowlight moving objects. We all know that those can be some of the more difficult shots. Put your camera on automatic or a scene mode and you to can shoot like the pros. I have yet to see this, but in short time I venture I will. I'm waiting to see someone using a Nikon D600 full frame camera with a ridiculously expensive lens shooting in fully automatic with no clue what the photographic triangle means!! Its going to happen. More power to them. Someone may catch the bug and become a great photographer. My only concern is as someone stated that because of their lack of knowledge of etiquette it may lead to restrictions.

The manufacturers are catering to the average folks. They need to sell cameras and accessories. Did you ever see a scene mode on a film slr? They dummy up the cameras. Colors is another issue because folks can buy a P & S in a multitude of colors. They're asking why can't I get my DSLR in colors. Its all about the market. I am convinced (I could be wrong) that's why we have video on DSLR's. It started in the P & S market and then was extended to DSLR's. The novices moving up to the 'big' camera wanted the same options that were available on their P & S. For me, if video was never on a DSLR, I would never miss it. Its all about what and how many cameras the manufacturer can sell.

I think it is totally about the bottom line monetarily. To me it was really evident Nikon was going after a different segment of the market, one that had not previously been DSLR users, when they got Ashton Kutcher to represent the D40 line on launch. Because really, if Kelso from That 70's Show can use it anyone can, right? It put the cameras mentally within reach of the point and shoot set in terms of usability.

Although they did make film SLR's with a few auto scene modes. My Rebel G has a few, though not as many as today's entry level DSLR's seem to have. It was also a camera marketed to the casual shooter, with the ads that used Andre Agassi taking pictures while he played tennis.

edited to add... LOLOL I was typing my response when you were and we both referenced Ashton Kutcher for the same reason. Too funny.

Its not about the quality of the photo its about taking it and getting quickly uploaded to show the world what you are doing right that second. That seems to be whats important..regardless if its super grainy or under/over exposed. Now I have an iPhone 4S and actually it does take decent outside photos in good light, but inside with poor lighting...not so much.

With some exceptions. You can tell the folks who don't know what they are doing when they "bird dog" the LCD review after every shot they take.

I will use the LCD to check exposure on 1 or 2 shots for an environment. But I have review turned off and can o hours without looking at the pix in my camera

Okay, I can't be the only one who does this. And though far from an expert photog, I am also not completely clueless. There are many more talented people on this board, but I do know the photographic triangle, how to use the camera on manual, how to use a tripod for long exposures, etc. Still like to check through the pics on the LCD screen often.

edited to add... LOLOL I was typing my response when you were and we both referenced Ashton Kutcher for the same reason. Too funny.

That is pretty funny, but unfortunately its so true. I did learn something. I never knew Nikon put scene modes on a film camera. My brand, Pentax, even today doesn't offer scene modes on its capture mode dial.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter