Dslr for beginners?

TinkerbellinNY6

Mouseketeer
I am looking to purchase a dslr but are new to them. What is a good camera for beginners? I have used a Nikon d90 for work purposes but was given the settings to put it on and the lens was already on it. I am looking to upgrade from the current camer I have which is a Nikon cool pix L105. Any advice would be appreciated thanks :goodvibes

All entry level dSLRs will have the same basic functions, same ease and difficulty of use.
So Pentax/Sony/Canon/Nikon -- You can look at the entry level in each brand.

Comes down to which is most comfortable in your hands personally, as well as perhaps if the slight differences matter to you.

I'll comment on the pros and cons of Sony, since it is what I use. And let others talk about the pros and cons of their brands.
Sony no longer makes *true* dSLRs --- The "R" stands for reflexing mirror. Sony uses a translucent mirror, so their cameras are dSLTs. As a consumer, what that means to you:
On the outside, it looks the exact same as a dSLR. It mostly functions the exact same as a dSLR, but with these differences:
It uses an electronic viewfinder (EVF) instead of a mirror based optical viewfinder. Some people prefer the EVF, since "what you see is what you get" -- makes it easier to judge the exposure before taking the shot. Also allows you to overlay sometimes useful aids, such as a level-bar. The downside of an EVF... while Sony uses a very high quality EVF, it can sometimes look grainy in very low light.
Other advantages of the translucent mirror design -- Most of the Sony models can shoot much faster than the entry level cameras of other makers. Unfortunately, this is a bit handicapped in the current entry level camera, the A58. But for slightly more, you can get an A65, which shoots at 12 frames per second. The competitors from Nikon and Canon can only shoot about 5 frames per second. Big difference if you want to capture sports or action.
Also, by far -- the Sony cameras have the best "live view" -- that is using the LCD screen instead of the viewfinder. With the other cameras, switching to live view also requires switching to a secondary inferior autofocus system. With the Sony, you can seamlessly switch between the live view and the EVF, keeping the full auto focus at all times.
Similarly -- Sony arguably has the best continuous autofocus for video.

Another difference, is that Sony and Pentax used In-Body-Image-Stablization, while Canon and Nikon use lens based stabilization. Thus, only some lenses are stabilized on Canon and Nikon... while all lenses become stabilized on Sony and Pentax.

Like most people will say, you can't go wrong with any of the new DSLRs. It just depends on what features you want and how the camera feels in your hands.

I shoot with a Pentax and would recommend their cameras to anyone looking to buy. Most people overlook Pentax because they're not sold at most stores which is a shame. I feel Pentax builds cameras for photographers. The ergonomics are fantastic and even the lower models are weather sealed such as the K30 and K50. They also include features like focus micro adjustment and shake reduction built in. They are also compatible with every Pentax lens ever built plus 100% pentaprizm viewfinders.

You really need to go and get your hands on some cameras to compare how they feel to you. You should also look at the mirrorless offerings unless you are going to need the continuous autofocus.

Like most people will say, you can't go wrong with any of the new DSLRs. It just depends on what features you want and how the camera feels in your hands.

I shoot with a Pentax and would recommend their cameras to anyone looking to buy. Most people overlook Pentax because they're not sold at most stores which is a shame. I feel Pentax builds cameras for photographers. The ergonomics are fantastic and even the lower models are weather sealed such as the K30 and K50. They also include features like focus micro adjustment and shake reduction built in. They are also compatible with every Pentax lens ever built plus 100% pentaprizm viewfinders.

You really need to go and get your hands on some cameras to compare how they feel to you. You should also look at the mirrorless offerings unless you are going to need the continuous autofocus.

:thumbsup2

Some good advice right there. All the DSLR's out there are good. It's about finding what fits you.

I would say between Canon and Nikon, it's a matter of how the camera feels in your hands. You can't go wrong with either. I don't know enough about Sony.

Canon and Nikon make excellent dslr's , trust me when i say this....what matters is not so much of megapixals but iso......check the iso range on your camera most starters are at 1600 iso.....but as you pay a little more the iso range is higher. To understand photography, just remember the photographic triangle. Shutter speed, aperture, and iso. Iso is the cameras light sensitivity. It will make shots that you cant believe what you get. You will hate yourself for not getting a high iso range. Hope this helps.

Once you get above the common PnS cameras, the camera makers get really competitive. Meaning, you'll generally get a good camera these days.

Just my own take on the scene, but sticking to Canon or Nikon has advantages. Not that Sony or Olympus or Pentax are worse cameras. But both are closer to ubiquitous, more legacy lenses seem available for them and often at better prices. At the same time, resell value tends to hold better when it comes time to trade in/ trade up.

More than anything, don't commit too early. Rent a camera and use it for a few days and see if you jive with the thing. Then rent a different make and try to narrow the field down that way.

I too think the live view on a Sony system is a big help for new DSLR/SLT users. You get instant feedback BEFORE taking your pictures and can spend less time "chimping" (reviewing each of your pictures after each shot to see how they turned out).

The problem with renting as a test to purchase... Renting isn't cheap. In some cases, a 3 day rental can run 10-20% of the purchase price, really driving up your eventual overall cost.
Really want to spend $75 renting to test a $500 purchase?

I'd suggest researching online, asking questions in forums like this. Then buying from an outlet with a good return policy. So you can return it if it just didn't work out.

You already have a D90 in your life. Unless there is something you hate I would stick with that manufacturer. I am going to go away from anything these days is good. The D90 shots pictures at a pretty good speed and has camera based Autofocus motors which makes it focus faster than say a d4100 or 4200 which relies on the lens focusing motors. If you get a slower focusing camera you might find it frustrating.
I would look up the specs on the D-90 and use that as a minimum for your new DSLR for home. Good news is because the d90 is old a lot of the less expensive bodies can give it a run for its money. No mater what go somewhere where you can get your hands on the body and see how fast it shoots a picture.
With DSLRs the glass means much more than the body. You will probably get a starter lense after that the skys the limit.

mjh2901 said:
You already have a D90 in your life. Unless there is something you hate I would stick with that manufacturer. I am going to go away from anything these days is good. The D90 shots pictures at a pretty good speed and has camera based Autofocus motors which makes it focus faster than say a d4100 or 4200 which relies on the lens focusing motors. If you get a slower focusing camera you might find it frustrating.
I would look up the specs on the D-90 and use that as a minimum for your new DSLR for home. Good news is because the d90 is old a lot of the less expensive bodies can give it a run for its money. No mater what go somewhere where you can get your hands on the body and see how fast it shoots a picture.
With DSLRs the glass means much more than the body. You will probably get a starter lense after that the skys the limit.

I got the impression that the d90 must be a friend/relative's camera. I think the OP only owns the point & shoot mentioned in their post.

I don't know what the Nikon equivalents are but in Canon the newest Rebel (consumer DSLR) or 70D (enthusiast DSLR) are where I'd be in a crop DSLR camera if I were a newbie and wanted to limit my $ exposure to something that might be a mistake. I'd stay with the latest models to get the best flip out screens, auto-focus, etc but new older models still in inventory (next to newest generation) could be considered as well.

I'd stick with one of these brands (over Sony/Pentax/etc.) for the lens and accessories availabilty (both new and used).

Maybe the cheapest body and best lens you can afford is the way to go as you may outgrow the body (looking for more features, better ISO, build, etc.) but can likely reuse the lens (beware that a crop only lens which in Canon is labelled as EF-S can't be used on a full frame body such as a Canon 1/5/6 series).

Don't worry about being intimidated right off the start as most models have a basic Auto mode where the camera does all the thinking for you similar to a point & shoot. You can practice using the other modes and features at your leisure and start using them in real life situations when you're comfortable.

I don't know what the Nikon equivalents are but in Canon the newest Rebel (consumer DSLR) or 70D (enthusiast DSLR) are where I'd be in a crop DSLR camera if I were a newbie and wanted to limit my $ exposure to something that might be a mistake. I'd stay with the latest models to get the best flip out screens, auto-focus, etc but new older models still in inventory (next to newest generation) could be considered as well.

I'd stick with one of these brands (over Sony/Pentax/etc.) for the lens and accessories availabilty (both new and used).

Interesting myth without much basis in fact. In many ways, Sony and Pentax have far better old lens availability and compatibility than Canon and Nikon.

How many 25-year-old lens models can you buy for under $100 for Canon and Nikon that are image stabilized?

Interesting myth without much basis in fact. In many ways, Sony and Pentax have far better old lens availability and compatibility than Canon and Nikon.

How many 25-year-old lens models can you buy for under $100 for Canon and Nikon that are image stabilized?

I'll give you that one when using a cheap old lens on a newer in-body stabilized camera. As well some of the older lenses for these makes can be used on newer electronic bodies (but usually without AF which makes the lens impractical for moving subjects). However, newer lenses generally perform better optically in having aspherical elements, have faster af, better resolution more suited to higher MP dslrs than film slrs, better lens coatings like fluorite to reduce glare, less field curvature, etc. The only thing I prefer on some older lenses that I have used is a bit more solid feel in the build (more metal and less plastic but more weight like comparing original metal mount Canon EF 50 f/1.8 vs current plastic MK II version).

However, in my many years associated with photography I feel that I made the right choice in choosing Canon as my photographic system (and I feel the same thing about Nikon) for several reasons which are all based in fact.
1. Any third party vendor that builds adapters, flashes, triggers, cables, etc. will generally make the Canon version first, then Nikon with others a maybe if at all. With Canon you generally get new third party lenses first as well as those companies tend to target the largest possible customer base first.
2. It's easier to find used gear for Canon or Nikon at resale websites such as Craigslist, e-bay, Kijiji, etc.
3. It's easier to rent Canon or Nikon gear from places like LensRentals, local camera stores, etc.
4. If you lose, break or forget to pack something on vacation or while travelling then it's a h*ll of a lot easier to get Canon or Nikon gear somewhere close by (maybe even at a big box retailer like Best Buy).
5. It's easier to find friends or other photogs nearby with similar gear that allows you to swap lens while on a photowalk, etc. to try something out.
6. Almost every photography course I have taken has gone into how to setup Canon and/or Nikon gear through specific menus but the instructor was never certain how to deal with the other brands.
7. These major brands have a complete modern camera ecosystem available now. If I buy a Sony or Panasonic then I'm hoping those companies follow their predicted lens roadmap over the next few years to give me all the lens I need to compete with what I currently have with Canon.

In the end there are people who while using a pinhole shoebox camera take a better picture than me with a 5D3 setup so if you're good then it doesn't matter what system you choose. However, that doesn't stop me from recommending a major brand to someone who isn't hardcore as it's just easier to get them started with components that are sold together and work with no problems or extra effort on their part.

I'll give you that one when using a cheap old lens on a newer in-body stabilized camera. As well some of the older lenses for these makes can be used on newer electronic bodies (but usually without AF which makes the lens impractical for moving subjects). However, newer lenses generally perform better optically in having aspherical elements, have faster af, better resolution more suited to higher MP dslrs than film slrs, better lens coatings like fluorite to reduce glare, less field curvature, etc. The only thing I prefer on some older lenses that I have used is a bit more solid feel in the build (more metal and less plastic but more weight like comparing original metal mount Canon EF 50 f/1.8 vs current plastic MK II version).

However, in my many years associated with photography I feel that I made the right choice in choosing Canon as my photographic system (and I feel the same thing about Nikon) for several reasons which are all based in fact.
1. Any third party vendor that builds adapters, flashes, triggers, cables, etc. will generally make the Canon version first, then Nikon with others a maybe if at all. With Canon you generally get new third party lenses first as well as those companies tend to target the largest possible customer base first.
2. It's easier to find used gear for Canon or Nikon at resale websites such as Craigslist, e-bay, Kijiji, etc.
3. It's easier to rent Canon or Nikon gear from places like LensRentals, local camera stores, etc.
4. If you lose, break or forget to pack something on vacation or while travelling then it's a h*ll of a lot easier to get Canon or Nikon gear somewhere close by (maybe even at a big box retailer like Best Buy).
5. It's easier to find friends or other photogs nearby with similar gear that allows you to swap lens while on a photowalk, etc. to try something out.
6. Almost every photography course I have taken has gone into how to setup Canon and/or Nikon gear through specific menus but the instructor was never certain how to deal with the other brands.
7. These major brands have a complete modern camera ecosystem available now. If I buy a Sony or Panasonic then I'm hoping those companies follow their predicted lens roadmap over the next few years to give me all the lens I need to compete with what I currently have with Canon.

In the end there are people who while using a pinhole shoebox camera take a better picture than me with a 5D3 setup so if you're good then it doesn't matter what system you choose. However, that doesn't stop me from recommending a major brand to someone who isn't hardcore as it's just easier to get them started with components that are sold together and work with no problems or extra effort on their part.

Truth to some of those points, others not so much.

It's true that if you take a course, it will be more focused on Canon and Nikon. And the Sony/Pentax user may need to take a few extra seconds to adapt the knowledge (ahhh... There is the button).

In terms of lens and accessory availability--- there really is no type of new lens that you can get for Canon/Nikon that you can't get for Sony/Pentax.
Certainly, every focal length, prime, etc-- that would be desired for an amateur to advanced hobbyist to most professionals, you can get new for Sony. The exciting sigma 18-35 1.8... Yes, came to Canon/Nikon first. Sony 1-2 months later. Is that a big enough reason to avoid the brand?

Where Sony does struggle a little is in flash systems. Plenty of availability for a regular amateur. But there are compatibility issues for the professional studio photographer.

Rentals... It's true that some of the smaller companies don't rent out Sony. But borrowlenses and lensrentals.com both carry a full selection of Sony gear.

All 4 brands carry pros and cons. And yes--- for example, someone who wants to eventually be a studio photographer, I might recommend against Sony due to advanced flash issues.

But for the overwhelming majority of users, there is no reason to automatically go to Canon and Nikon.
Someone who likes affordable weather sealing, may prefer the Pentax despite the fact that it won't be explicitly discussed in a camera class. Someone who likes the fantastic live view of the Sony, may be able to wait an extra month for the release of the newest lens.

Lastly... In terms of new vs old lenses... For pure image quality, I'll put some of my old cheap lenses up against Canon "L" glass any day. Ken Rockwell is generally pretty biased against Sony, but read his review of the Minolta 100mm 2.8 macro lens.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter