DS12 told me about an incident in his class, and I almost had a heart attack!

I think the OP was upset because at first she thought her son had taken part in this "joke." I also think that an adult can handle that kind of nonsense much better than a 12 yr old boy could. The other boys are bullies, pure and simple, and I'm glad the op's son didn't let them get away with it.

Shelton, I would be shocked too, just like the OP. My son came home one day and told me that there were two swastikas carved in his desk. I asked him what he did and he told me that he made them into little squares. Although I don't agree with him drawing on the desk (and told him so) I was glad he realized the meaning and had a problem with the images on his desk.

If someone told me they supported Hitler, I would have nothing to do with that person. I wouldn't just think oh well. It would change my view of that person completely. I guess I think even joking about supporting someone who was responsible for mass murders is shocking. If a child does it, you would think that whoever hears it would also find it unacceptable.

I find it more shocking that kids would even do this in the first place. I thought all parents would have conversations with their kids about things like this. My son is a 7th grader and he definitely understands what Hitler did. Thankfully, he would never say something like Hail to Hitler.

Hey, OP. Good for your son for speakin' up.

Kudos to that kid you got there. It's important to speak out when we see someone being wronged.

Middle school language arts curriculum is largely concerned with tolerance and prejudice reduction. The teacher could have countered the comment with a mini-lesson on prejudice reduction no matter what subject was taught in that classroom.

I do think this is an important lesson for middle schoolers to learn and reflect upon. Hitler's Nuremberg laws started with harrassment and racism. The end result was genocide.

I read it not as the OP being upset that her son told but saying that the right thing for Kid A to do would be to say something to the teacher instead of actually taking the dare.

OP: You are raising a fine young man. I'm glad he said something. That kind of thing is buylling and harassment, plain and simple.

What is it with kids and Hitler at that age? I remember when I was in middle schools 7th grade was the year I was bullied by a bunch of boys who were into Hitler. I can remember being hit on the head with books with swastikas on them and having swastikas drawn on my binder by these boys. By the end of the year they were over it. I don't get why seventh grade seems to be the year of Hitler for some boys.

I can see boys being attracted to the subject matter in the same way that they're fans of Darth Vader -- Hitler's about as "real" to them as a movie character. God knows there are enough cable channel specials on him. They haven't reached a point of quite thinking things through yet.

For those who see a lot of this stuff in their young people -- are there many Jews where you live? Because I grew up in a town about one third Jewish, one third Catholic and one third Protestant and religious hatred was pretty foreign to me until I learned about it in school. In our daily lives it was a non-issue and I don't remember ever hearing an antisemitic joke or anything remotely relating to Hitler admiration. Certainly nobody was putting swastikas on their book covers and it never cropped up in grafitti, either.

But I can imagine that in a place where a kid may be one of a few (or the only) Jew in his class that sort of thing would be far more intimidating than to one who was one of many, and also sadly that more kids might see humor in it because they see Jews as "others."

Our city is has a fiarly decent Jewish population. The most "amusing" part about the whole incident is that I'm not even Jewish, and they know that. So I'm not sure what they were thinking they were accomplishing by drawing swastikas on my stuff.

You're right. Going up to a bully and telling him to knock it off, and standing by the person about to be targeted in a show of solidarity to deter the bullying is JUST like endorsing genocide.

Read it again...it is just the opposite.

Are you serious? You are equating not ratting out a middle schooler stupid thoughts with genocide.

Of course not...what's the matter with you people. What I was saying is that the attitude that, "it's someone else's problem" is the very same attitude that allows situations like genocide to happen. To say that the boy was wrong for telling superiors that the described situation exists right here and right now is ridicules. I would like to shake that young fellows hand for knowing right from wrong and being willing to risk popularity among his friends because he felt it was the proper thing to do. Bravo! Everyone else that wants to think that it is better to hide under a table and wait for the storm troopers to pass by, well good luck to ya. (figure of speech, not literal) Also if you read the original post he said that his friend paid someone to do it and "HE DID IT". It wasn't just a stupid thought, it actually became reality. That is so wrong on so many levels that it is unfathomable that anyone with knowledge of it would not do whatever was at their disposal to make sure it never happened again.

not defending goofeyernmost, I am sure she (i think-about the she part) is more than capable, but I have made similar comparisons to prove a point.

Remember 99% of people who cheat while playing golf - also cheat in their business life.

I think the point was more like "if hitler was reprimanded in 7th grade he might not have turned out to be hitler".

I wonder what Bernie Madoff did, in 7th grade, that no one bothered to mention to the authorities? That you would have been shocked to hear compared to his stealing billions later in life.... from innocent people?

Mikeeee

Just for the record Goofyernmost is very definitely a HE!

And your points are what I was trying to say, just that you said it better. Thanks!

not defending goofeyernmost, I am sure she (i think-about the she part) is more than capable, but I have made similar comparisons to prove a point.

Remember 99% of people who cheat while playing golf - also cheat in their business life.

I think the point was more like "if hitler was reprimanded in 7th grade he might not have turned out to be hitler".

I wonder what Bernie Madoff did, in 7th grade, that no one bothered to mention to the authorities? That you would have been shocked to hear compared to his stealing billions later in life.... from innocent people?

Mikeeee

Just for the record Goofyernmost is very definitely a HE!

And your points are what I was trying to say, just that you said it better. Thanks!

I see the point you guys are making. A quote by Edmund Burke says it very well, "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing."

OP, I would be very proud of your son. Please tell him that a lot of us out here are proud of him too. It takes a lot to be a man instead of just standing my in silent disapproval. :thumbsup2

Peer pressure is such a stupid thing. It makes kids do stupid things like pick on someone who's different than they are. :mad:

Chalk another one up to young and dumb middle schoolers. I applaud that your son had enough courage to even say anything to the teacher. Many kids wouldn't have. I have a 7th grade daughter..let me tell you....middle school/Jr High girls are the worst! :scared1:

Wow 3 pages & nobody has wanted the teacher fired or the kid suspended for life...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter