DS with autism decided no more Disney right before trip - help!

donaldandpirates

Mouseketeer
We are about two weeks out from our trip, and DS (8) (autism & sensory processing disorder) has now got it into his head that he doesn't want anything to do with Disney World. Anytime we mention it, we have anything from "No, I'm sorry. No more Disney World" to on the verge of a meltdown at the thought of going. He is convinced it will be windy there, and he hates the wind.
We've been before, once when DS was 3 and again when he was 5; absolutely loved it! This is the first time he doesn't want to go.
Any suggestions? We're already getting a stroller to use as a wheelchair to block out the wind. It's a family reunion, and we can't just stay in the hotel room the entire trip.

That's a tough situation, even without the family reunion. Actually with our daughter with ASD, we'd often get to the parks at rope drop, eat lunch at 11 to avoid crowds, and yes, go back to the room for the rest of the day. She could play with her legos or Barbies, and my older dd and dh would stay in the park. Then we'd all go to the pool in the evening. Not ideal, but we also didn't have meltdowns in the park. It took us a long time to realize this is what worked for us.

wow I am sorry about this I think your idea about getting a stroller as a wheel chair tag is great can you remind him of his last visits and how much fun he had tell him he can be in his stroller as much as he likes maybe get a rain cover ( it really should not rain) but that might help block any wind if there is some. dose he have any comfort items that you can bring to the park for him

Hmmm... do you know what made him suddenly decide it would be windy? Did he see something about hurricanes and stormy weather at WDW? Was it a weather report or a video or a TV commercial? Maybe a promotional DVD showed wind blowing at one part? I'd show him pictures and/or videos of a non-windy day at WDW, and show him a good weather report is predicted. Point out specifically how there is no wind (trees aren't waving, people's hair isn't blowing, etc.). Along with talking up the stroller "to block out any little breeze that might occur."

Enjoy your vacation!

Is he able to choose some things to use to stop the wind if it is windy? Like a special (lightweight) blanket to put over his head when it is windy? Maybe use a map to choose a place to go into if it is windy? Maybe a hat with wind flats for his ears? Maybe decorate a poncho for a wind shield?

Since you know it probably won't be, you have nothing to loose and you are helping him find ways to deal with what bothers him and giving him the choice for the method. You may not be able to convince him it won't be windy but you might be able to convince him he can handle what little breeze there will be

Our kids are teens now but we have tried to do that type of thing whenever we can, as much as they are able. Now they are older they know sometimes you have to just deal for the moment but we make allowances when we can. Because it's a family reunion and you 'have' to go, giving him as much choice as you can will still let him keep some control.

Good luck!

So, lay off talking about it. He may be just tired of talking about it cause it seems to be all talk with no pay off.

I bet you a virtual cake he will love it when he is actually there. :cake:

You'll probably just have to go and see how he does. I think your stroller idea is a good one, and hopefully once he's there it'll all blow over.

If not, you'll have to find other stuff to do. Presumably the family knows about his ASD and would understand, frustrating as it is.

With a family reunion, is there perhaps an older person that might not mind hanging out at the hotel? Or sitting things out? Maybe at least you could just say to your son, "ok, so Grandpa will be around and he'll like to hang out on a bench now and then if you think it's too windy."

In any event, you know your son best, but often it's the "thinking about going" that's more of a problem. At least that's how it is here. After the initial excitement, the thinking about what won't be right kicks in; it will be too hot, (or too windy), the food won't be good, the beds won't be right, we'll have to walk too far, the lines will be long. But with us, 9 times out of 10, usually once we arrive somewhere it's fine.

Thank you so much for the suggestions, everyone! We will definitely look in to getting a rain cover. We've already told the family that it'll have to be "go with the flow" and plans can change hour by hour sometimes. We do have a "summer coat" (unlined windbreaker) as well, and I'm hoping the weather will be cooler than it is right now! I'll also try not talking about it -- that's going to be hard. :)

Worse to worse, you can get babysitting services. It's not cheap, but it may be all you can do. Obviously, if someone from the family can help as a babysitter then that would be easier.

Maybe, others from your family reunion group could help encourage him once you are there. Keeping him distracted and talking about whatever he likes may help.

Consider doing more inside activities like shows and avoid the parades and fireworks, for example. Try to use buildings to get from attraction to attraction. This can work well at Epcot, for example.

If it becomes a real problem avoid the windy times at the parks. Usually, you can get a weather report that includes wind speeds.

Last edited:
my son has a problem with the wind getting on his face and moving his hair.. so he tends to wear either a beanie or cap year round... this stops not only the wind bothering him , but people from raffling his hair, which can result in a meltdown... also sun glasses. . cuts down on visual clutter.. hope you have a great time

My 6.5 year old on the spectrum just gets it in his head that he doesn't want to do something and that's that. I think he just gets really anxious when it's something new or that is outside of his routine, but he doesn't recognize it as being anxiety so it's hard to talk to him about it. I have found that videos work really well with him. I've been showing him youtube videos of Disney World, like the cell phone videos that real people have taken while waiting in line or walking around or whatever. Also, trying to find one thing he's especially excited about.

I also tend to agree with a previous post that maybe you could just stop talking about it for a while? It could be increasing his anxiety about it.

How about promising going to downtown Disney to buy a favorite toy he may want? Maybe if he thinks about getting something he may really want when he gets there, he may have a more positive feeling about going? Hope the trip turns out good.

Hmmm... do you know what made him suddenly decide it would be windy? Did he see something about hurricanes and stormy weather at WDW? Was it a weather report or a video or a TV commercial? Maybe a promotional DVD showed wind blowing at one part? I'd show him pictures and/or videos of a non-windy day at WDW, and show him a good weather report is predicted. Point out specifically how there is no wind (trees aren't waving, people's hair isn't blowing, etc.). Along with talking up the stroller "to block out any little breeze that might occur."

Enjoy your vacation!
I had this though as well. That happens for my DS. Some random chain of events will get him convinced of something strange. For example, he was terrified to walk into his school. After a lot of probing we found out that there is a fire alarm near the door. The doors are automatic, but make a quiet buzzing sound when they open. He thought that meant the fire alarm was going to go off.

What part of the wind is the problem for your son?
If you can tease out the problem part of it, maybe you can reassure him.

Is it the wind in the face or on the body or is it the noise the wind makes when it whips canopies, and overhangs and things around. LIke does he have sound issues.
If its the noise, maybe get some noise cancelling headphones. or if he is old enough the ones that fit in the ears.
If its the wind somehow on his body. Can he were light cotton or linen clothing over the part of his body he doesn't like the wind, or the stroller cover. Of course if its the noise portion, the cover whipping in the wind will make the noise worse.

We're not sure what part of the wind it is, but it did take two years of therapy for him to be comfortable going out to recess or in our backyard. And we constantly have his noise-cancelling headphones with us everywhere. DS, out of the blue, asked to go to "the Mickey Mouse store" last night (local Disney store), so we went. I'm taking that as a good sign even though he keeps saying no Disney World.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter