• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DS turning 5 at DL. Take stroller? Yes or No

Take the Bob! You can baggage check it for free or gate check. We have a Bob travel bag that we put ours in and it's a life savor!

I absolutely advocate for strollers. They are vital to moving quickly to the next ride (a five-year-old doesn't understand the concept of "hurrying" and his little legs won't hustle when he's tired anyway).

Our twins (who just turned five last Friday but are huge -- 46", but one is 48 lbs and the other is 39 lbs haha), never use a stroller at home, but we bought these last year specifically for Disney trips, and will use them for the last time this May, since the bigger one will be too heavy.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Years-I...2GAM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1300820778&sr=8-1

It goes up to 50 lbs, has a basket on the bottom and a zippered pouch with cup holder on top, and most importantly, has long handles. My 6' husband has absolutely no complaints and doesn't kick the wheels all day long.

Also, strollers are nice to use as wheeled storage (snacks, drinks, purchases in the bottom basket and a water bottle, FPs, camera, etc. on the top pouch thingy).

I have to say, we did WDW with our 5yo son and even though he hadn't been in a stroller for 3 years and we didn't even own one at that point, we rented one EVERY DAY we were there! By Day 3 he was tuckered out. It also made me feel better knowing when he was strapped in, I could let my guard down for half a minute and not worry about him running off. I guarantee we covered twice as much ground at WDW because of the stroller.

I would take it. If you don't like using it at the park the first day, leave it in your hotel room for the rest of the trip. REntals are $15 per DAY at DL/DCA and you can't even take the rental to Downtown Disney or your hotel.

There is no shame in taking one IMO. I don't care how good of shape your kids are in, they can get really pooped and tired at DLR, for many different reasons. It is always good to have the option if your 5 year old needs it. Even if he only needs it back and forth from your hotel, it can make a huge difference in attitude, and endurance. I have done the not taking the stroller once, thinking it would be easier. It wasn't.

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and everybody who replied. I am planning a DL trip for next year and reading this thread has helped me decide to DEFINITELY bring our stroller!!

You guys are the best!! We took our BOB stroller to Disneyland and it was the BEST decision ever! DS5 was only out of it to get on the rides! He even fell asleep in it multiple times and no one had to carry him! Thanks again! The stroller saved our trip :)

How about renting a stroller. If you have a Disney Visa you get 50% off. I think the DL strollers are great, and my kids love them. That way it will make travel easier and if you need one you can just rent it.

I think it's up to you and your kid.

When we went in 2009.. my oldest had just turned 5, she didn't need the stroller. Which is a good thing since we had both babies in it... but it's not like the baby couldn't have been put in a carrier and strapped on.

my 5 year old also was in that "I am -not- a baby.. I am 5!!!"

We're taking our double for our 3&2 year old, and frankly I expect it to mostly be a means to carry our crap.. I don't think they will be in it much, but I plan to strap them down to make them snooze at some point :lol:

My DS is turning 5 while at DL. We will be there for 4 days. Part of me says to bring our BOB stroller, although he hasn't ridden in it for almost a year. I've read other posts but still can't decide. I know many of you have just returned and had little ones about the same age, so please let me know what worked for you or didn't work. I only have the BOB stroller (which I absolutely LOVE) and wouldn't consider taking any other stroller, if we take one at all.

Pros:

the walk to/from HOJO
having an extra set of clothes for DS (although we could take a backpack)
lots of walking, park hopping
able to stay out later in the eve with tired child
able to go faster, going with 6 adults and my DS (5)

Cons:

the stroller on the plane and layovers :(
the BOB is bulky, even when folded
have to take a booster seat for the shuttle already, one more extra thing
going with 6 adults who could take turns carrying and walking slow
having to park it during the day and keeping track of it

Thanks for your help! Two more weeks until we're there!!! :)

Amy

Amy...most definitely YES to the stroller. Not necesarrily your Bob...even though you will miss that wonderful stroller...we have a Bob as well, but when you are in DLR/DCA it is so crowded that an umbrella stroller is so easy...you can fold it up and vroom you are on your way!

We got a umbrella stroller delivered to our hotel room @ Hojo...from Diapers.com...it was wonderful. Only $15 and the first time you order from them there is no delivery fee! Wahoo:banana: I also seem to remember that the store @ Hojo had a umbrella stroller for about $25 as well...you could call them to confirm.

For the car seat...we bought a "standard" car seat bag from a store ($30) and just put the seat in the bag and carried it on our shoulder!

A tip for walk to/from Hojo...cross the street @ Mimi's so that your walk to/from is only about 7 minutes, less crowded and you enter where the shuttles do...I think Hydroguy has a sticky about this!

Have a great and magical time:wizard:

DLR nut and we also LOVE:love: staying at Hojo...we are heading back in a year for our 8th visit:cheer2:

My personal experience was that we didn't use a stroller for DS when he was 4.5 and he was fine for the 3.5 days. He hadn't used a stroller since he turned 3 and we made it a good excuse to go slower. He did great.

However, if you want one and think your DS will ride in it, or the other adults will be impatient, I'd vote for bringing my own or having a cheap one delivered. If you have a DLR stroller, you won't have it for the walk back at night, and you will have to get a new one every time you park-hop, I believe.

I think the big bonuses would be basket storage and the walk to/from the hotel. I'd be inclined to park it in a general area and move it infrequently.

PHXscuba

How about renting a stroller. If you have a Disney Visa you get 50% off. I think the DL strollers are great, and my kids love them. That way it will make travel easier and if you need one you can just rent it.

How much is that rental nowadays? :confused3

Personally I hated it once DD got too old/big for a stroller while at WDW. That meant that I had to carry everything and I hate being a pack mule! :rotfl:

Bus seriously, my DD11 is small for her age so having her in a stroller past the "normal" age was fine with me. I could put all my stuff underneath-so much easier than trying to figure out what I wanted to carry for the day.

Granted, I was not raised using a backpack so I really don't like carrying one. Usually it's only my DD, my DM71, and myself who go to WDW. No big strong male to help carry things or DD when she gets tired. (Don't even ask my about the time DD feel asleep while we were waiting to eat once in LV and my DM had to go back to the car and get the stroller because I physically could not carry her all the way back!)

Using the stroller on the way to the plane was great too! I could load it up with all our carry-on items and save my back all the way down the jetway. However, now DD is old enough and big enough to help carry on-so that helps.

Until Disney got rid of the free strollers at DLR for DV users (now only 50% off) there were times when I would get one just for our things. When it's hot I usually carry in a couple bottled waters and cans of Diet coke, ponchos for GRR, change of clothing GRR. When it's cold there's all those jackets, gloves, scarfs, etc.

I say bring it-I really miss those stroller days. Luckily I now have a DNephew who is 2 so when he goes so does his stroller! ;)

One more thing-when we go to WDW we travel from CA so DD's sleep schedule is all messed up. There were many times when she would just fall asleep while in the stroller. There was no way I could really schedule her down time. It varied every day.

My girls are 2 weeks shy of 5 and I use the stroller with them. Its hard pushing 3 five year olds when they all want to ride, but so much better than a whiny kind who has to walk. (Tried taking a double a few times because its easier so I know.)

As mentioned, there is all the stuff. Just be prepared to dig out all the bags you have underneath when you go through security. I keep everything on the hooks and only shove them under after we go through security.

Glad to hear you took the stroller. Last June, we went to WDW and my son who was 4 at the time loved to be in the stroller. Disney wore him out and he likes to prolong the naps if he could.

I wouldn't compare WDW to DLR for a stroller.........I think WDW is so much more exhausting, especially with June heat !

I'm glad it worked out for you since my advice would have been no need for a stroller with 5 other adults !

How many days?
How many adults could give a piggy back ride at day's end if needed?
How does your kid feel?

The last one is important because while I recognize that there are lots of people on the Dis who insist it is cruel and unusual punishment to expect their 8 year old to walk, my kid would have been mortified to be asked to get in a stroller at 5 years old. He'd have been completely humiliated and we chose either shorter days or DH carrying him at the end instead of that. If your kid is invested in being a big kid, it might not be worth it.

We did 3 days with DS at age 5 with no stroller and no drama.

A lot of folks have brought up a lot of great points on considering your needs and the needs of your kid. Some have mentioned bringing a stroller so you can move from ride to ride faster. My tendency would be to leave your wonderful BOB and try a day at the park without it because I don't mind moving from ride to ride at a slower pace with the kiddo. Then, if you decided you needed a stroller, hit up Target and get a cheap umbrella stroller. But that would be my touring style. So I think you have to take into account your DL style and the general view of the stroller by your kiddo. Whatever you do, have fun!

Bottom line is no family is the same. I am quite certain that my family dynamics and needs are not the same as many of the folks here who have a smaller family. My children are fit, active, and treated and act like "Big Kids". We usually use the stroller for the youngest child, but once in a while my youngest boy would take a quick break in it too. Doesn't bother me, Shouldn't bother you.
I think it is too bad that a five year old would be humiliated to sit and rest in a stroller if he needed it. Perhaps if I only had one child, I would not need one. But we will stick with the stroller as long as we need one for our family, and not pass judgement on anyone else or expect any one else to do as we do. I believe we should only give advice here and not use words that can be taken as unkind to those seeking help.

I think it is too bad that a five year old would be humiliated to sit and rest in a stroller if he needed it. Perhaps if I only had one child, I would not need one. But we will stick with the stroller as long as we need one for our family, and not pass judgement on anyone else or expect any one else to do as we do. I believe we should only give advice here and not use words that can be taken as unkind to those seeking help.

You mean, like you just passed judgement on my family?

Your "advice" here has now officially been taken as unkind.

Nope, not at all. Every child should be able to make his own decision. My older 2 did not need one either. But it was just them, at the time. I would of been more than happy to rent one for them though and been sad if they felt humiliated about it.
I just think when people ask for advice we should all choose words that do not have potential of being taken wrong or negatively. Some of these parents really need to feel comfortable with their decisions. Choosing words
(whether it is regarding them or your situation) like humiliation or not feeling like a Big Kid, are just not helpful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter