DS is growing up in Disney - sniffle, sniffle

wrighter

DIS Veteran
Just had to share this special moment with others who will understand:

My family decided to take an "unplanned, somewhat last minute, low-cost" trip to WDW over a long Memorial Day weekend. This is our sixth visit in as many years - we've been coming once per year since DS was 3. This is also the first trip we've taken with just our little family of four - no friends or additional family members. I have to say, it has been one of the best trips we've ever had, and it has made me extra grateful for being DVC owners.

Anyhoo - at the main SSR pool yesterday, I believe DS9 had his first experience with vacation romance!! During the afternoon pool party, he befriended two sisters from England - Elizabeth and Lidya. (We think!) LOL! DS clearly took a shine to Elizabeth, and the two of them spent much of the afternoon together. Playing pool games, sitting in the hot tub, going down the slide, etc. She even got a camera to take pictures of DS. DH and I got such a hoot out of watching it all go down, and were sad for him when we had to leave for the evening.

For the rest of the evening we heard all about Elizabeth. And about how "they will probably never get to see eachother ever again for their whole lives." While en route to Epcot for the evening, he asked if there was an England there. When we said there was he asked if we could visit that country, since that's where Elizabeth is from. :-)

The whole thing was so bittersweet, and I smile even now just thinking about it. I know at 9 boys and girls often still play together without even considering the boy-girl thing. But this was different. And it made me think about all the milestones in my kids' lives that I associate with Disney in some way. Like when DS was learning to read, and he would strain to see which bus was coming to the bus stop so he could try to read which bus it was. Or the first time we came without diapers. Or without strollers. Or on this trip, when we didn't hit a single character line or any of the Dumbo/Alladin/TriceratopsTwirl rides. My kids are growing up in front of my eyes, and sometimes our time here accentuates that in a way that it can't at home.

Hold your kids close, and love 'em up good! Time flies! :love:

AW...what a nice story!:goodvibes So touching, I know what you mean too. Sometimes it is as if you are taking a mental snapshot of a moment, a moment that you know you will remember forever. They do grow up so fast. Glad you are having a lovely trip with your family. We can't wait to be back:love: Thanks for sharing!

What a nice story.

I'm an English DISer - don't think there is anyone on the uk board with daughter's called Elizabeth and Lydia though.

Such a nice story! I told my husband the other day that we only have 6 more trips (2xs a year) until DD is in kindergarten. Then I started to cry! The memories we have made already on our 2 trips since DD 20 months...well nothing can compare! Thanks for sharing the story!

Such a sweet story and it will be a great memory for you always... I hate it when they grow up in front of our eyes. I still remember the trip with my oldest daughter ( she was 16 at the time ) and the night before we were to leave she was watching Wishes and she suddenly started crying, I asked her what was wrong and all she could say was " I get it now, I understand Disney and the Magic now". I still tear up remembering that night. I know when she starts her family she will have those memories with her babies.

This warms my Mommy Heart:love:

My husband took me to WDW for my first ever trip for our 1YR anniversary and even as adults we love that place more than any other vacation spot. We have since been back twice, once when our first baby (DD5) was only 23 months and again last year when she was turning 4 and I was 6 months pregnant with our second baby :) We're at the beginning of the story you told and my heart sings to think someday we will be fortunate enough to have the same kinds of sweet stories to share.

P.S. We're returning in October for our daughter's 3rd trip and our son's 1st. DD is old enough to know what "going to Disney" means (this morning she actually said that Disney World is her favorite place in the world princess: ) and DS is going to just start finding out! I am SO EXCITED to watch them experience the magic together for the 1st time, SO EXCITED that DD is finally tall enough to ride all the classic rides, SO EXCITED to go to WDW and not be pregnant (which I have done 2 out of 3 times)! :rotfl:

Ah, parenthood is so bittersweet, isn't it?

The beauty of Disney is that as they get older, each trip changes with them. Each time is a new experience as they go from gurgling at the characters to dancing at the parades to scary roller coaster rides and beyond.

My son will be 3 this trip and I am so excited that he will be able to really understand how special it all is!

Awwww.....that was an adorable story. Thank you so much for sharing it! You're right though - so many milestones can be linked to our trips. I first took my son when he was almost 3 & we still remark about him losing his pacifier on the Indy cars. Love those babies - even when they're not babies anymore :(

How cute! My husband and I were actually in Disney World at the same exact time as children, I was 11 and he was 13. I can't help but wonder if our paths crossed that trip, years before we ever even met. :wizard:

That's sweet! We also spent last week in WDW with our 9 yo. I can't believe that she was in diapers when we bought into DVC, and now she's a tween!

ETA: Our last family vacation was 3 years ago and DD lost her first tooth while waiting for our room to be ready at AKL.

aww.okay, that almost had me teary eyed. What a sweet story!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter