DS 7 snorkling question

zoom8942

Mouseketeer
My DS7 wants to snorkle on our 7 night eastern. He would like to do turtle cove which is paired with honeymoon beach. DS can't swim. Are the life vests provided enough? Will he enjoy this? He is not afraid of the water, he just can't swim. We live in a rural area and there isn't anyplace to get swimming lessons. It will just me me(mom) and my DD 21 with us. DD would rather do Trunk bay. Any suggestions?

My DS7 wants to snorkle on our 7 night eastern. He would like to do turtle cove which is paired with honeymoon beach. DS can't swim. Are the life vests provided enough? Will he enjoy this? He is not afraid of the water, he just can't swim. We live in a rural area and there isn't anyplace to get swimming lessons. It will just me me(mom) and my DD 21 with us. DD would rather do Trunk bay. Any suggestions?
If DS can't swim yet, I strongly suggest any snorkeling be from the beach where your son can practice a bit in 1 to 2 feet of water versus jumping off the back of a boat into 30 feet deep water (as many excursions do.). The snorkeling at Trunk Bay is from the beach and it is an ideal spot for a beginner.

I would also suggest that on your first couple of sea days, spend some time with DS in the family pool and teach him to swim. Or you can ask at the kids club if Disney has a group learn-to-swim class on board.

If DS can't swim yet, I strongly suggest any snorkeling be from the beach where your son can practice a bit in 1 to 2 feet of water versus jumping off the back of a boat into 30 feet deep water (as many excursions do.). The snorkeling at Trunk Bay is from the beach and it is an ideal spot for a beginner.

I would also suggest that on your first couple of sea days, spend some time with DS in the family pool and teach him to swim. Or you can ask at the kids club if Disney has a group learn-to-swim class on board.

I don't believe DCL allows any water (pool) activities through the club/lab. I know when the kids are in Scuttles Cove on Castaway Cay, they don't do any water (as in going in the ocean) activities.

I was able to work with DS on vacation last year at CSR, but after a day at WDW we really just needed to cool off. The closest place that offers swimming lessons is 45 minutes away. With our work schedules and spring sports with all the kids there is no way we could swing it. We may have to do trunk bay. Is the snorkling there nice? DS is a nature addict( all we watch is Animal Planet and Nat Geo wild)

I would be nervous about having a 7 year old non-swimmer trying to snorkel. Breathing through a snorkel in the water is not like breathing through a tube on land.

I guess I am an exception to this! Our last cruise was in April. My twins were 5 and they can not swim. My older two, obviously, can and really wanted to do the catamaran and snorkel in Cozumel. So we did it as a family. My husband took the two older ones out first and I took the younger two myself. They did pretty well, considering. It would have been much easier if it was one on one like it would be with your son. But the vest was enough. They stayed afloat fine. I kept one hand on each the entire time which was made easy by the fact I had a vest on too. They were able to look in the water and use the snorkel. It took them a little while to get the hang of it but they did it. So IMO, it is absolutely possible for you to do it with your son. Esp where you will be one on one with him. On the trip we were on they had eyes everywhere too, looking out for anyone who was having trouble. Have fun on your trip.

so glad to hear it can be done. DS has never been afraid of the water, we just dont have the local recources( and live in Ohio, so its too cold to swim most the time) He turns 7 2 days before the cruise so he is super excited. DD21 has no intrest in the snorkle, she is a beach bum, so it will just be the two of us, and I am a very good swimmer. I am soooo ready to ditch this crummy weather and go. less than 2 months now:cloud9:

very very long time lifeguard and swim teacher speaking

if the person can not swim they do not belong in water deeper than their ankles and then only under CLOSE supervision. Relying on a safety vest to take the place of swimming skill is NOT RECOMMENDED.

I've pulled out WAY too many people to look the other way while this is discussed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter