Drum Set

Bibbidi

DIS Veteran
What is a good basic starter drum set for both adults/kids? Our girls are almost 11 and 9, so we don't want the tiny junior size sets. Also, what is a reasonable amount to expect to spend?

What is a good basic starter drum set for both adults/kids? Our girls are almost 11 and 9, so we don't want the tiny junior size sets. Also, what is a reasonable amount to expect to spend?

We spent $1000.00 on a Pearl about 15 yrs ago when my son was in the HS band. I would check the want ads or your music stores for used sets unless you're wanting a brand new one.
Ours sits in the garage, has been for 10 years, one of these days I'll post it in the paper. Till this day he plays on his drum pad, never really cared for the set :confused3

I don't know the answer to your question, but have you tried to find a "hand me down" set? So many kids want a set, then stop playing and it takes up a lot of space.

Also, check your local music stores. Ours all sell used equipment at much lower prices.

Good luck!

My DH is a drummer, he told me $400 will get you a decent drumset from a chain store like guitar center. Add about $150 for some cymbals. He said check out PDP (I guess that's a name brand!).
Oh, and ad. $50 for a jumbo box of earplugs! :rotfl: I have 2 young boys that are following in their father's footsteps and a constant headache! :)

I found a used Pearl drum set with a high hat and a cymbal for $225 on Craigslist right before Christmas. I bought it for the kids. I had a friend look at it, and he said that was a fabulous deal. I have seen others for around that price.

The kids went crazy for it for the first couple weeks, now it mostly gets use when friends come over.

Buy used, no more than $500. If they develop musically to the point that they want to move up to higher quality, you'll get most of our $$ back on the used 'starter' set. Then invest in quality maple shells and quality cymbals. I have drum gear that is over 25 years old and still going strong because I bought quality. Love the sound of Zildjain A's with Sonor maple drums. But I digress...

Forget about getting them drums, have them learn a harmonica!! Their back will thank yu in 30 years!! :laughing:

I agree with watching Craigslist. Many sets sell for 1/4-1/2 of retail used. Stick with quality brand names. PDP, Tama, Yamaha, Pearl. There are many others but those are generally popular. If you're looking for new then you should be able to find a good deal on PDP or Tama. They both have quality beginner sets. Cymbals are definitely important, and the most expensive. You can get a deal by buying in packs. My son used cheap cymbals for a long time before we upgraded though!

Good luck and welcome to the family of parents who learn to ignore loud noises! Honestly, I barely even notice it anymore. We have so many instruments and my son practices so much that I've learned to sleep right through it.

Wow, thanks for all the great responses. Both my girls have taken piano for several years, so this would just be another musical adventure on top of that. I am definitely all for buying used, especially until we know if they enjoy it. I appreciate the suggestions on brands too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter