Drugstore Beauty Products

Clinique-BLECH!! My friend recommended it to me, because it worked so well on her skin. Wherever I put that stuff on, there was a rash. I returned it the next afternoon and the woman couldn't understand why. I showed her the rash and she was still convinced it was from something else. Let's see...I just bought this yesterday, put it on my face and now there's a rash. Yea...it's something else. :)

I use Neutragena face moisurizers and I use Olay facial cleansers. That combination works best for me. I knew a lady that would just use Dial soap for her face and nothing else and her face was great. I tried it and that soap is harsh for me. Go figure.

for mineral make up people....I used to love Jane Iredale mineral makeup..... but it was really expensive....so I've since switched to Physicians Formula. it's wonderful...and talc free :) I set it with Mineral Veil by Bare Escentuals. I get more compliments now then when I wore the expensive stuff!

Costco carries mineral make up very cheap and it is awesome. Since it's Costco, you can return it if it doesn't work for you

oh no! i use the clinique 3-step since it was recommended for my sensitive skin.. and boy oh boy does the step 2 exfoliation burn!! it turned my face red and extremely dry. i'm so upset. i stopped using it, & i just use step 1 and 3. i was TOLD i needed to get the second step for everything else to work. :headache:

I have severely sensitive skin and use the Clinique 3-step, too. Except I rarely use the step 2 toner, because toner is a harsher product, no matter who makes it. I've found that the cleanser and moisturizers work very well in keeping my skin from getting dry and flaky. I haven't found anything that works better for me.

When you go to a site like Makeupalley, you'll find that for as many people who love a certain line and think it's a miracle product, there's probably an equal number that will call it "cheap", "junk", "horrible" or whatever. What people need to understand is our skin and body chemistry is all different. What works for one person, even if their skin is a similar type to yours, may not necessarily work for you. Unfortunately, it's a lot of trial and error. Fortunately, most stores and makeup counters these days let you return product that you're not happy with as long as you have the receipt. :)

What people need to understand is our skin and body chemistry is all different. What works for one person, even if their skin is a similar type to yours, may not necessarily work for you. Unfortunately, it's a lot of trial and error. Fortunately, most stores and makeup counters these days let you return product that you're not happy with as long as you have the receipt. :)

So true. My main gripe with Clinique was not so much the quality of their products as the underhanded way they went about selling them. They professed to be all about individualized skin care yet they would push the customers to buy things that they obviously didn't need and even did that with me altho I got a lot of the stuff for free. Right after I started working for them, they took me into the storeroom in the back and loaded me down with bags of sample products and returns - yes, returned products that they expected me to take home and actually put on my face. No thanks. But they wanted me to try everything I sold. How could that be good for my skin? They also insisted that I needed to use a moisturizer. I'm almost 47yo and I STILL don't need moisturizer. My skin has always been extremely oily - if I don't need a moisturizer now, I sure didn't need one 20 years ago.

Well, I didn't mean to beat a dead horse or take the thread so off topic. But from what I saw, these practices were (and probably still are) pretty common at all the dept store cosmetic counters and a lot of people still aren't aware of it. I just hate for people to get taken in.

I love St. Ives Apricot scrub, both me and my tween daughter use it because we have sensitive skin and it works great. I use St. Ives in the morning and Ambi cleansing soap. I'm a woman of color although not much color hahaha I'm on the lighter side; its a great skin bar for all women but especially for women of color, Latina, Asian, black and even caucasian women with olive skin tones. Ambi even has a fad cream that for me doubles as a moisturzier that helps to fad dark spots and even skin tones. Great for the summer when I get a tan and my skin can appear to be a bit uneven.

T.

I use olive oil cleansing bar and extra virgin olive oil for moisturizer, my skin looks great!

Where do you buy the olive oil cleansing bar? I've heard that olive oil is good. I know this is probably a crazy question but, but do you buy evo at the grocery and use it as a moisturizer or is there a moisturizer? I'd like to get. I have dry skin that is extremely sensitive.

I love the st ives apricot scrub for cleanser
I use nutregena sensative skin for moisturizer
and after years of using TONS of foundation? I just quit the habit. nothing. nekkid. I love love love it.

oh no! i use the clinique 3-step since it was recommended for my sensitive skin.. and boy oh boy does the step 2 exfoliation burn!! it turned my face red and extremely dry. i'm so upset. i stopped using it, & i just use step 1 and 3. i was TOLD i needed to get the second step for everything else to work. :headache:
I cannot use the 3 step toner either. The Neutrogena alcohol free toner is the only one I have ever been able to use. There is no burn at all with it b/c there is no alcohol. I have borderline dry skin and have never noticed it drying me out either.
I have severely sensitive skin and use the Clinique 3-step, too. Except I rarely use the step 2 toner, because toner is a harsher product, no matter who makes it. I've found that the cleanser and moisturizers work very well in keeping my skin from getting dry and flaky. I haven't found anything that works better for me.

When you go to a site like Makeupalley, you'll find that for as many people who love a certain line and think it's a miracle product, there's probably an equal number that will call it "cheap", "junk", "horrible" or whatever. What people need to understand is our skin and body chemistry is all different. What works for one person, even if their skin is a similar type to yours, may not necessarily work for you. Unfortunately, it's a lot of trial and error. Fortunately, most stores and makeup counters these days let you return product that you're not happy with as long as you have the receipt. :)
Exactly. I had to do a lot od searching to find a combo of products form different lines that worked for my skin
So true. My main gripe with Clinique was not so much the quality of their products as the underhanded way they went about selling them. They professed to be all about individualized skin care yet they would push the customers to buy things that they obviously didn't need and even did that with me altho I got a lot of the stuff for free. Right after I started working for them, they took me into the storeroom in the back and loaded me down with bags of sample products and returns - yes, returned products that they expected me to take home and actually put on my face. No thanks. But they wanted me to try everything I sold. How could that be good for my skin? They also insisted that I needed to use a moisturizer. I'm almost 47yo and I STILL don't need moisturizer. My skin has always been extremely oily - if I don't need a moisturizer now, I sure didn't need one 20 years ago.

Well, I didn't mean to beat a dead horse or take the thread so off topic. But from what I saw, these practices were (and probably still are) pretty common at all the dept store cosmetic counters and a lot of people still aren't aware of it. I just hate for people to get taken in.

I guess I am in the minority here, but I have never had my clinique ladies push anything on me. I usually buy only my foundation there, and no one has ever commented on the need to buy more products. I do pick up an occasional lipstick or eye shadow, but I am coming in asking for those things. They are also really good about doing my makeup for special occasions like christmas party ect. and not expecting me to make a purchase. I have been to cosmetic counters that operate that way however. I tried prescriptives and they tried to sell me eveything under the sun both times I went there.They gave me the whole you need this for that to work ect... Needless to say i haven't been back.

I used Neutrogena when I was younger. I like the Olay line now that I want things like "wrinkle cream"

I'm not a Cetaphil fan, though I've bought enough of it over the years forgetting that I don't like the stuff.

I actually like - and use - of all things - vaseline as a moisterizer. (I've done the olive oil thing as well, I like vaseline better).

Where do you buy the olive oil cleansing bar? I've heard that olive oil is good. I know this is probably a crazy question but, but do you buy evo at the grocery and use it as a moisturizer or is there a moisturizer? I'd like to get. I have dry skin that is extremely sensitive.

Hi there.....
I bought the cleansing bar at a store called Christmas Tree Shops. Its a chain here in MA. I do use regular EVOO from the grocery store. Some people say to go for organic but i didnt have any here at home just reg old extra virgin. It goes on nice and doesnt leave my skin greasy. I do still get the flakey winter dryness but thats because i do not exfoliate often enough. My skin feels so soft after i put it on and its not making me break out at all. In fact my acne situation is getting better. :cheer2: If you have a whole foods market near you i would check there for the olive oil cleansing bar. good luck:thumbsup2

Another plug for makeupalley.com. Great resource for researching all sorts of beauty products. I have done a bit of research on various products... trying to make my beauty routine more "budget friendly". Here are some of my favorite drugstore finds:

Cody loose powder (soooo old school.... found this one on makeupalley. I get the unscented so I don't smell like my grandma. It goes on looking a little heavy, but then literally melts into your skin. Awesome and crazy cheap)

I'm excited to try the Coty powder ~ here's the Makeupalley reviews ~ http://www.makeupalley.com/product/...s_Translucent_Loose_Powder/Coty/Loose_Powders sounds like it's hard to find ~ I can't find it online, I just got off the phone with my nearest KMart and they carry it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter