drug store hair color?

3southerngirls

Earning My Ears
Just curious....has anyone ever colored or highlighted their hair using the hair color in the box you buy at drugstores? If you have....did you like it? Which one did you use? How long does it last? I'm thinking about trying it. It cost so much to get it done in the salon. Trying to save $ wherever I can. TIA

I have never used anything other than that, so I can't compare. I have used the cheap ones & the more expensive one. I like the more expensive ones better (Herbal Essence or Clairol).

I've only had my hair colored at the salon once. I am a blonde, but get "dingy" in the winter. I usually buy the more expensive brands- Clarol Perfect 10, or another one by Loreal ( can't remember the name). I have very good luck with them- but I never try a drastic color change. I stay within the color range of my natural color, but this "freshens" my dingy color in the winter.

I apply as directed, making sure I get my root area first, then work out to the ends. I pile it loosly on my head, and set the timer and then hop into the shower. Looks great and only takes about 20-30 minutes and costs around 10-15 bucks:banana:

If I wanted to try a whole new color, I'd go to a salon...

I always use the Nic N Easy haircolor. It seems to last me about a month, but my hair is very dark and when it starts to grow out the gray really shows more. I always buy it at Walmart, it usually runs about $6.00 a box, it seems like there are always coupons available.

Well, my hair is naturally light brown and I've been coloring it a dark red-brown for years, but I just couldn't justify the cost any longer ($45 for color plus $30 for cut) so last year I asked my stylist about at-home color and she said to try Nice-N-Easy. I'm able to get it on sale and/or with coupons for $3 or $4. My stylist said it looks just as good as when she did it and I've gotten compliments from friends and co-workers who don't know I color it myself. If I were going lighter I wouldn't do it myself just because I know I'd need a double process color and I'm afraid of bleaching my own hair.

I've used it. It's ok if you are not doing anything drastic. I color my gray with it.

But the real thing from a salon is much, much better.

I use Perfect 10 and am pretty happy with it. I get grays so I can get about 4 weeks from it, then I use a root touch-up that lasts about another 2-3 weeks before it's time to color again. My hair doesn't dry out so much by alternating with the root touch up.

I uses to use the one that came with the highlighting step (excellence I think) that worked well too, but it took a lot of time.

Natural Instincts works great if you are loking for something that will fade away gradually.

For years, I've been using LK brand bought at a beauty supply. It covers my grey really well. I color about every 8 weeks and only use 1/2 the tube at a time. It costs me $9 for the tube (for 2 uses) and several dollars for a bottle of developer which lasts for a year. edit - I forgot to say that the LK I buy is one of the brands used in the beauty supply/salon on their customers.

I'm with you OP!

I used to get my hair done (colored, cut) every 6 weeks, but I'm cutting back this year..

So this year, i'll go to the salon at 8 weeks, and not make an appointment for another 16 weeks, so at the next 8 week mark, I'll color my own hair!

I use the Clairol Nice N Easy Root Touch-Up for 5.99 at Target, but sometimes it's on sale for 4.99 AND I use a coupon with that to bring it down to 2.99!! :thumbsup2 And it's super easy to use!!

good luck!

My hair is naturally pure white :scared1: and has been for years. I have probably used most of the ones you find in the drugstore but I like Preference by Loreal and Garnier Nutrisse (and my dds do too).

I've been using Feria #36 - Chocolate Cherry for ages. It is a burgundy color. I try and color it every 6-8 weeks depending upon the growth. My hair is brown, so it really shines with the dye. Lots of people stop me and ask about it and I tell them I buy it at the store.
I wet it everyday, but only wash it every other day to try and get more out of the color. Shampoo (even the stuff for colored hair) takes the red (burgundy part) out fast.

I've used many different brands and have been coloring my own hair for twenty years. I've used Feria, Preference, Garnier Nutrisse, and Nice n Easy. They all work fine.

I do mine about once a month because my hair grows fast.

I used to get highlights at a salon but could not justify the cost. Now I use L'oreal Preference in Medium Ash Blonde. At first I was using other "blonde" colors and my hair took on an orange hue. My hairdresser told me that any hair color with the word "ash" in it is the way to go. No more orange :woohoo:

I've always colored my own hair and used either Nice & Easy or Garnier Nutriese. It all depends on sales & coupons. :thumbsup2

For years, I was going to a high-end Salon here in the Philly 'burbs.

Every 6 weeks for a cut and color I was spending more than $150 :sad2: (just cut and color-no highlights or anything fancy)

So I decided I would try to color my hair myself.

I use Garnier Nutrisse #50 and I love it! I get it when on sale at CVS for $5.00 :banana: I do it myself every 5 weeks or so and it looks great. I have alot of gray and it covers it very well. I really get alot of compliments from my family and co-workers on how well I do myself.

I can color my hair on my own time. When I decide to do it, I do it. When I was going to the Salon, I had to make my appts 6 wks in advance! Now I just go at my own pace, which works for me much better.

For haircuts, I go to Hair Cuttery. A cut is $15.00! I walk in when it is convenient for me :cool1:
Plus, my stylist from years ago works there so I KNOW I'm getting a great cut!

So, every 6 weeks it now cost me $25.00 (15 cut, 5 color and 5 tip) instead of OVER $150.00!!

LESSON=HAPPIER HUSBAND AND MORE DISNEY MONEY!!!:yay::yay::yay:

I tried cutting salon visits from my budget, but I just don't like the way my color turns out with the boxed colors. I tried the cheap ones...and the pricey ones. It really dried my hair out...so I'm back to the salon.

I've been using Feria Crushed Garnet for years. Reds don't last too long, I get about 3 weeks at the most out of them And of course walmart has the cheapest price on them.

I have done both home and salon. I could not justify the cost of salon color anymore. I started graying at 21, so I have tried them all. My current favorites are Nice & Easy for all over gray coverage and the Garnier Nutrisse highlight kit. I have found for me that if I part my hair on the opposite side when I do the highlights, I don't get the "skunk" look. It lasts about 8 weeks, with a root touch up kit in between. Total runs about 18 bucks for all 3 kits. Much better that the 150 I was spending! But I still get my haircut at the same place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter