Drop-side cribs banned!

Thank God they finally outlawed them! They are so dangerous and after so many deaths, I'm shocked that people still use them.

Thank God they finally outlawed them! They are so dangerous and after so many deaths, I'm shocked that people still use them.

Maybe newer ones that were made cheaply, but I had no issues at all with the drop-side I used for both my kids. I didn't find it dangerous at all.

I have a very high quality simmons drop-side that was given to me after one little boy used it for three years. After that, my own six sons each used it for 2-3 years each with no problems. I was planning on saving mine for future grandchildren to sleep in when they come to visit (and that may not be too far in the future as my son is proposing to his GF as I write this :thumbsup2). Hmmm...:confused:

See, we used my ILs crib from when they were born in the 80's and never had an issue. It passed all the "Coke can" tests. I would love to see the data behind the failures. Too bad they couldn't make the COMPANIES more responsible for the products they are producing.

high quality drop side cribs are NOT dangerous. Poorly constructed ones are. We have been very happy with the Simmons dropside we used for DD. No problems here, but we never, ever left her in the crib awake. Weu sed a monitor and as soon as I heard her, I was in there. Cribs are not meant to be child containment. The article reffered to children shaking, jumping, and running around in the crib. They simply should not be allowed to do these things. There is something to be said for adequate supervision.

I have a drop down crib and have no issues, but then again, my kids in are toddler beds at the age of 18m. I don't have toddlers climbing out over the drop side.

Not to be completely heartless, (I know someone will think me evil anyway) but 32 deaths in 10 years in NOT a gigantic health risk.
There is something to be said for being proactive. Maybe inspect the crib every now and then to see if anything is coming loose. Don't use cribs for time-out chambers.
Now how many babies will be injured becasue mom is too short to reach the bottom of the crib and falls on top of the baby or drops them?

high quality drop side cribs are NOT dangerous. Poorly constructed ones are. We have been very happy with the Simmons dropside we used for DD. No problems here, but we never, ever left her in the crib awake. Weu sed a monitor and as soon as I heard her, I was in there. Cribs are not meant to be child containment. The article reffered to children shaking, jumping, and running around in the crib. They simply should not be allowed to do these things. There is something to be said for adequate supervision.

Many experts actually say it is best to always put the baby in the crib awake, so not sure that this will fly as the best way to prevent it.

I had one for my kids too, and loved it. But I will likely recommend to my pregnant friend to buy new due to this. After all, I never had a problem not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt my whole childhood, but my children definitely do those things. I think it is good to learn for past tragedies.

I never put a baby in a crib awake.

I am also 4'11" and can't even reach an infant without putting the sides down and standing on something is not as stable.

This would NOT work for me.....thankfully I am fully finished having infants! :thumbsup2

Dawn

Many experts actually say it is best to always put the baby in the crib awake, so not sure that this will fly as the best way to prevent it.

I had one for my kids too, and loved it. But I will likely recommend to my pregnant friend to buy new due to this. After all, I never had a problem not wearing a helmet or a seatbelt my whole childhood, but my children definitely do those things. I think it is good to learn for past tragedies.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but if you're not you had better never let your children out of the house because they have a far better chance of being struck by lightning. Then again, you may want them out because they have a better chance of poisoning themselves inside the house, or dying falling down the stairs. And whatever you do, don't even THINK about letting them near a car or water.

Another dropside user here. Love, love love my Pali. Never had an issue with it. I agree with pp that this is hardly a real issue. I see it as govt trying to take over one more aspect of our lives. Pretty soon we won't have the ability to make decisions for ourselves.

It is not the concept of the bed that is faulty, it is the construction.

Years and years of no problems of this happening because they used solid wood and metal to hold the crib together and drop the side. If you compare the construction of a crib made decades ago to a crib made now, the materials used are cheaper.

Not to be completely heartless, (I know someone will think me evil anyway) but 32 deaths in 10 years in NOT a gigantic health risk.
There is something to be said for being proactive. Maybe inspect the crib every now and then to see if anything is coming loose. Don't use cribs for time-out chambers.
Now how many babies will be injured becasue mom is too short to reach the bottom of the crib and falls on top of the baby or drops them?

I dont think that will be an issue.

I never put a baby in a crib awake.

I am also 4'11" and can't even reach an infant without putting the sides down and standing on something is not as stable.

This would NOT work for me.....thankfully I am fully finished having infants! :thumbsup2

Dawn

I do not have a drop side crib and my 4'10 sister can get my DD out of her crib no problem. I am 5'2 and when I got my DD crib I went all around to all the cribs and checked where they hit me and if I could reach the bottom without difficulty before we pick her crib.
I do not have a problem with drop side cribs. My parents have one that they got in the early 70s and it went through 4 of us and is still a great crib. Its very well constructed.

Not what I am saying at all. I put her down awake, but didn't just leave her there. I kept watch of what was going on until I was SURE she was asleep, and then kept the baby monitor with me. I looked at some of the fixed side cribs that are being advocated now, and frankly, they scare me. They have made them shallower so that you can place the baby in over the sides. Drop sode cribs were deep for a reason. I would never put a baby that could pull up in one of the new ones, because the sides are so low. It would be way to easy for an already top heavy infant to climb out and take a nasty fall. I am expecting that to be the next recall.

Not what I am saying at all. I put her down awake, but didn't just leave her there. I kept watch of what was going on until I was SURE she was asleep, and then kept the baby monitor with me. I looked at some of the fixed side cribs that are being advocated now, and frankly, they scare me. They have made them shallower so that you can place the baby in over the sides. Drop sode cribs were deep for a reason. I would never put a baby that could pull up in one of the new ones, because the sides are so low. It would be way to easy for an already top heavy infant to climb out and take a nasty fall. I am expecting that to be the next recall.

Im just trying to be informative and thats all! You do know that on most of the newer fixed side cribs the matteress actually has three levels and does go pretty deep.

Im just trying to be informative and thats all! You do know that on most of the newer fixed side cribs the matteress actually has three levels and does go pretty deep.
Yes, but I and many others can not safely place a child on the matress at the lowest level, so it is not useable. On the ones I have seen (shopping with a friend) I would have to let the baby go about 6 inches above the matress. The first and second levels, IMO, are not safe for a child that can pull up. It would be too easy for them to fall out.

Yes, but I and many others can not safely place a child on the matress at the lowest level, so it is not useable. On the ones I have seen (shopping with a friend) I would have to let the baby go about 6 inches above the matress. The first and second levels, IMO, are not safe for a child that can pull up. It would be too easy for them to fall out.

I completely agree that at those levels it is not safe either when they can pull up. I will have to get my sister to see if she can put and take out my DD laying flat at the last level when we move it to that level. (She is 4'10)

I also don't think that 32 deaths in 10 years is a gigantic health risk. I wish more people would educate themselves on using and installing car seats properly because I bet that way more kids are injured and killed by improper car seat use than by drop side cribs. We have a very high quality and expensive drop side crib that we used for DD that we will use for baby #2 as well.

I completely agree that at those levels it is not safe either when they can pull up. I will have to get my sister to see if she can put and take out my DD laying flat at the last level when we move it to that level. (She is 4'10)

I just dropped my baby's crib as she is beginning to sit up and pull up.

What is the point of those mid-level levels? Dropped the mattress down is a PITA. When I do it, I do it once and drop it all the way down.

And her crib has a stationary side (because DH wanted a new crib and the one he picked out didn't have a drop side). I miss our dropside one that we used for our older DD. Never once had any issues with it, and it was never recalled. And now I'm stuck trying to figure out what to do with it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter