• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving versus Flying?

We have done both. now that we have a baby it is easier for us to drive since there are alot more things to bring with us, plus we can use the car to drive to the parks and not worry about the buses if we don't want to.

Its not that bad of a drive and we make it part of the trip, its exciting, get to see different things and stop and rest and enjoy the trip.

however it is nice to get in a plane and in 2 hours be right there so fast.

We are on the Eastern side of PA and are driving. Estimated drive time is 18hours non-overnight stop. We are debating whether to drive straight thru or do an overnight. Depends on how the 3 kids (ages 6 - 10) handle it.

We are northwest NJ so we have about 18 hr drive too. Its not too bad. Do you guys take 95 all the way or have you tried I-81 to I-77?

We drive 16.5+ hours. It costs us about $460-500 as opposed to over 1500 for flights. If I can ever find cheaper flights (think $200/each rt for5) I might consider it, but I also love having my car - less waiting around, etc.

We live close to Ann Arbor Michigan, and drove down to Disney World twice last year. Both times we drove straight through without any overnight stops.
At the time we had DD1 and DD4. They were well entertained with the activities we brought along with a portable DVD player.
The journey took us 19 hours both times.
We looked into flying this year just to save time. But it would cost us $1400 to fly down. While it cost us only $400 of gas to drive down and back!

So as you can see there are so many pros and cons to each.

We always drive. I would love to fly, but the cost is way too much for all of us- 7 people in our family. we usually leave in the early evening and stop for supper after an hour or two, depending on traffic. Between the full tummies, the dark and the car ride, the little ones drift off and the big ones settle into the trip. Luckily DH is a night owl so he doesn't mind driving first. I sleep! When we stop in Florida for gas, I take over and he naps until we get there. For us it worked.

We are doing both! We normally drive as we enjoy the drive down from Ohio. It takes us about 18 hours. We usually stop in Georgia overnight. This year we are driving (granma and granpa) while the rest of the family flies down. We can take everything down in our SUV and they can use just carryons. We'll have our car and can drive to the parks if we need to. They can use ME and it will be really easy for them with a 5 year old and a 2 year old! Of course granma and granpa are retired so driving down is easy for us. If the weather is bad we can leave earlier or stay longer while they fly home. Last time we all drove in 2 vehicles as they came later than us. We got in snow in North Carolina and they shut the roads down for 2 inches of snow, we got a kick out of that as 2 inches is nothing for us in Ohio's snowbelt! Our daughter was worried that they would miss work.

With the ages your kids are, I'd lean towards driving, split up into two days if possible. Leave in the afternoon one day, get down to GA, stop for the night and leave early AM the next day.

That said, we're only 9 hours away and have both flown and driven. The times we have flown have been much more fun. It's just so easy to head to the airport in the morning and be in WDW in a few hours. No screaming children, no emergency bathroom breaks, no endless rounds of "are we there yet?" The only downside (other than cost) is that you're stuck with whatever schedule the airlines have. For us, that means leaving WDW earlier our last day that we would have if we'd driven, because we needed to make the flight home.

Where do you stop in Georgia? We are coming from Chicago and were going to make reservations just incase we needed to stop. I am hoping we can drive straight through. Our plan is to leave about 6 or 7 pm after the rush hour and I am thinking we will make it at least 12 hours stop rest a couple and then drive the last 6. My dh thinks we should just plan a stop over somewhere in Georgia. He is not as optimistic as me :)

nugov2 said:
Where do you stop in Georgia? We are coming from Chicago and were going to make reservations just incase we needed to stop. I am hoping we can drive straight through. Our plan is to leave about 6 or 7 pm after the rush hour and I am thinking we will make it at least 12 hours stop rest a couple and then drive the last 6. My dh thinks we should just plan a stop over somewhere in Georgia. He is not as optimistic as me :)

We've stopped in Kingsland Ga.... Just about on the Florida boarder.... Hampton Suites, easy off and on... Free decent breakfast..... Short drive to WDW from there and if you leave early, blow right thru Jacksonville before traffic builds...

We have flown twice, driven six times, and will continue to drive (15-ish hours). We live almost 3 hours from the airport, and it is more of a hassle to us to fly than it is to drive. I don't want to mess with weighing my suitcase, or worrying about now many bags we can bring, or will my shampoo be allowed...etc. However, my DH is used to being up at night due to his job, and we leave in the afternoon and drive straight through. I also like to drive because we are on our own schedule...want to spend a few more hours in a park and do that thing we missed? Not a problem. We do plan our deaprture date for a Friday, that way we have the whole weekend to get home and settle in.

I know not everyone agrees with me, and I'm fine with that :)

I prefer to drive. I like that I can pack as much stuff as I want. I am not a the mercy of the airlines. It is more relaxing and less stressful for me. Just pack some dvds, books, games etc for the kids. Take a few breaks so everyone can stretch and the kids can run. Yep, driving is better than flying any day... :)

I'm in the drive camp. It's easier to bring whatever you and your kids want. It saves money for other things. With flight delays, it could take 12 hours anyways quite easily(although you can have traffic delays too). I find it easier to pack my breakfast foods/snacks at home rather than order them from a grocer to be delivered and it's another way to save money for other things.

One thing that is nice is that once you are at Disney, you can relax and let them do the driving. Take the bus and enjoy people watching on the way to the parks. It's nice to have the flexibility of driving your own car depending on which park you're going to or if you want to have dinner at another resort.

That being said, our drive is about 16-17 hours, so we split it up in two days. If airfare is super cheap, we fly. Most of the time we can't justify that extra cost. We really haven't minded the drive though.

We are going to drive this year from CT. I would prefer to fly but the fiance won out this time...lol

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

We have driven a few times but flying is definitely our preference. Driving down to WDW is fine bc our excitement fuels the way, but coming home we are all miserable. When we drive down, we leave at 7pm from NY and get to WDW by 2ish the next day. Only a couple of stops and the girls sleep most of the time; however driving home we leave around 10 from WDW and feel like it takes us three days to get home. We usually stop and stay in North Carolina. So between stops, gas, hotel and frustration we will fly.
Driving: approx 800-900 (gas mostly)
Flying: approx 1200

With any trip for us, not just Disney, it depends on how much time we have available. For the trip we are planning now, we only have 5 days to work with, so we don't want to spend two of them in the car. If we were able to get away for a week or longer, we'd likely drive. Road trips are fun for us and flying is too, the kids enjoy themselves either way.

My husband hates to fly, so we always drive. It's a long drive from OH (we only live a half mile from MI)! We stop along the way at a hotel when we get tired & then leave bright & early the next day. I wish we were only 12 hrs away!!! That would be a great 1 day trip. Sometimes I wish we could fly & spend the travel days we normally drive at Disney instead!!!

Try finding a way to knock your husband out and drag him on a plane like they did with Mr. T on the A Team. :rotfl2:

You mention you live about a half mile from the MI. border; I have a very close friend of mine who lives about a mile from MI and lives in Sylvania.;)

Where do you stop in Georgia? We are coming from Chicago and were going to make reservations just incase we needed to stop. I am hoping we can drive straight through. Our plan is to leave about 6 or 7 pm after the rush hour and I am thinking we will make it at least 12 hours stop rest a couple and then drive the last 6. My dh thinks we should just plan a stop over somewhere in Georgia. He is not as optimistic as me

Kennesaw, GA is just north of Atlanta. It's a nice area and the hotels are nice there. A lot of the hotels further south in GA just aren't very nice. We prefer to stay somewhere around Atlanta even if it is a bit further drive the next day.

We are around 12 hours aaway, too, and usually drive. Last week, DH and I flew to WDW for te first time, and it worked well. It was just two of us, so the cost wasn't too high. THe more people, the less expensive driving is.

We also booked a direct flihjt, which made it worth it. When I compare how long flying takes, I look at total time, door-to-door. With a direct flight, it was 6 hours flying, versus 12 for driving. But some of the flights I found with connections, would have saved no time, really.

Benefits of driving:
You are in control of your schedule
You control how you pack, and no one goes through your bags or frisks you (hopefully!)
You can bring more stuff with you
You have your own car for the whole trip
You don't have to worry about your kids disrupting the whole plane
Usually less expensive- don't forget to factor in wear and tear on your car.

Benefits to flying:
saves time
Don't need to worry about car breaking down, flat tire, etc.
Forces you to pack more lightly

when we lived in Ohio we normally drove... 5 airline tickets was alot ( and we could use that money to upgade our hotel.)

we liked having our car to be able to get groceries or run out for a quick meal. ( we always seemed to forget something.)

we like the restaurants at the hotels, so it made it so much easier to drive rather than use Disney transportation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter