Driving to wdw from Ont in Nov

cottontail

DIS Veteran
Is is still okay weather wise to drive to wdw in mid nov. thru I79 I77 to I95 route or should we definitely drive I75 from the Toronto area.

Deb

I've done the drive down once at the end of November returning December 10th. We went thru I79, I77 to I95 route. I didn't have any problems going down but did keep my eye on the weather coming home. We just made it through Buffalo before a storm closed the road. Wasn't snowing when we went through but started a couple of hours later. I just made sure I had directions for both ways there & back and made the decision on route the night before we left. Oh and I left from Hamilton, so basically the same area as you're leaving from. I'm sure there are others here who have done it more times then me and will be more than willing to help you out on this. Whatever route you go, drive safe and have a fantastic vacation.

The weather is so different and unpredictable now. I would just watch the weather along the route and decide the day of/before departure. Most likely, it will be fine to take that route.

I've not done the November drive, but I can tell you that this past July, we hit some heavy rain driving through West Virginia. While it only slowed us down a bit, it caused me to think how a blast of snow, or freezing rain would really affect the drive. Diving home during March Break we hit the onset of a snow blast, but luckily we were already on the I90 an hour from Buffalo. I would plan out both routes, and keep a data plan on your phone for weather updates. Good luck!

As PP stated, watch and plan accordingly as it can be unpredictable planning anytime forward more than a day. Last November we flew out of Toronto (as the exception). If we had driven through or flown out of Buffalo, we'd have been delayed / cancelled (even if we could have made the airport) as it was the day of the area being closed down because of "feet" of snow falling in the Buffalo / upper NY state area.

Southbound, we always watch the weather in advance and plan enough time to get to the warmer states in daylight if poor weather forecast and northbound we often will have an extra reservation along the route we can cancel the day of arrival, and if bad we use / if decent we drive on and cancel.

Years ago, we used to take I-75 every time but a change more than a decade ago trying the 90/79/77/26/I-95 route had us recognize NY/PA and the Virginia's IMHO a nicer drive and the weather in these states no worse than Ontario through to Windsor or the open stretches of Ohio down I-75 in winter. Plus we have often driven straight through so the hour+ in a shorter drive worth it. The use of GPS also makes the I-95 means a lot easier than the old days of map watching or waiting for road signs for a turn-off. I-75 was simple in the one road the majority of the trip as opposed to multiple interstate freeways until connecting with I-95 2/3's of the way down.

It's a toss up in terms of weather. I am driving down the beginning of Nov but stopping in Richmond to see friends so we're taking the us-15 rt instead of driving through Allegheny National Forest like last time. I usually keep an eye on the weather and hope for the best - Buffalo gets the worst weather I've experienced IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter