Driving to parks vs. Disney transportation

IvyandLace

Certified pixie dust user
This will be the first time that DH and I will have a car (driving down to Orlando) as we usually use the Disney transportation without difficulty. For those of you who enjoy driving to the parks instead of using Disney transportation, is it really that much more convenient...even with parking/trams/etc.?? Any tips that make driving to parks instead of using Disney buses/monorails/boats easier?? I'm afraid that we will choose to drive to a location and find that using Disney transportation would be just as easy. DH and I will be staying at POP from August 4-14.

Thanks for the advice!
:p IVY :p

I would never trade the ability to drive from the resorts to the parks. You have so much more freedom. Who wants to wait in yet another line to get back to your room. BTW, most people still take Disney transportation to the Magic Kingdom due to the ability to bypass the TTA.
If you are one of those people that go first thing in the morning, your parking spot isn't that bad either. Also, if you go in the afternoon, don't go as the people direct you, go to the front and start hunting for a spot.

Just got back Wed. We stayed at SOG and would walk to the Poly to take the monorail to MK. I drove to all the other parks. I like being able to walk to my car, get in and leave when I want to and I don't have to worry about a crowded bus or a bus that is full. Especially at the end of the night when everyone is leaving the parks. Now I have a friend who parks her car and never uses it once she is at WDW. I think it is a matter of personal choice.

POP has frequent buses to and from all the parks. I find that by the time you catch the tram out of the parking lot you could already be in the parks if you had taken the buses. You rarely need to wait too long for a bus (about 15 mins is the most we have ever needed to wait). Furthermore, taking Disney transport allows you truly to park hop; start at say MK, then head over to Epcot for lunch on the monorail, and a little World Showcase touring, then take the boats to MGM for Fantasmic, and after all that catch you bus back to the report, and not have to remember where you parked.

All that being said, it is always nice to have the option of driving someplace, especially if you might venture out of WDW. I like to have one available so we can do a little grocery shopping, just to have a little bit of healthful and lower cost food and drink available in the room. Also, if you like Downtown Disney at all, it can sometimes be more time efficient to drive there.

Since you're on site at POP, you will have very little need for your car. Enjoy!

We did the Disney bus 'thing' a few times, and overall, I'd take a car anyday over a bus. Not that there's anything at all wrong with taking the bus (alot of people think it's kinda fun). But to me, when I want to get back to our room, I just want to get there!

Having to wait over 25 minutes for a bus at the Poly headed for AK on EMH morning did me in. I would never go without a car. Now, I wouldn't use it all of the time, but Iwould want it there for some stuff. (I seriously doubt I would use it to go to MK as mentioned above. There the buses would save a good chunk of time.)

If you drive to MK first thing in the morning it isn't bad at all. We drove for EMH and an early PS at CP and got front row parking. NO TRAM. Since most people use the buses for EMH, the monorail was empty at the TTC (it did fill up at the poly & GF). When we went late afternoon for SM and Wishes our parking was not as good and the tram was necessary. Just our experince. Of course DD7 loved taking the bus the third day! LOL!

We drove to WDW on our last trip so we had a car. We took the buses from ASMo to all the parks, but drove to DTD and the boardwalk. I thought the buses were very conveinent and with 2 toddlers, it was nice to be dropped off so close to the parks. I do get nervous about the lack of safety restraints on the buses for my girls, but I have never heard of any injuries on the buses, so we gave them a try. . If we had not been pleased with the bus service, we would have driven to the parks ..

IMO, way too much is made of having to wait for transportation at WDW. It's not like you're going to work and have to be there at a certain time, you're on vacation... relax and enjoy. Most times, does it really matter if you arrive at your destination 10 minutes sooner or later? As a veteran of using Disney transportation, I can tell you the wait times are "usually" no more than 10 or 15 minutes at most. I know, everyone has heard a horror story about guests having to wait "forever" for a ride, ( I have a few myself ) but this is not the norm. I wouldn't stress about the Disney transportation, in all likelihood you'll have no problems as long as you don't expect to be "beamed" to your destination instantaneously ( ala Star Trek ). Of course, if you simply like to drive, by all means drive. There's nothing wrong with that.

I agree with you jarestel, there is too much made out of having to wait 10 or 15 minutes for a bus, although I think I only had to wait this long once or twice. I enjoy waiting at the bus stop and chatting with my fellow vacationers. To me, it is intersting to find out where people are from, how long they are staying and what has been their favorite part of the trip so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter