• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving to Parks vs. Disney Transportation

We had always used Disney transportation since we fly. In January, I drove down for the first time and since we had a car, drove to the parks. Honestly, I hated it. I felt like getting in my car made me leave that "Disney bubble," and by the time we parked and got on a tram, I felt that it took just as long as waiting on a bus (we have had pretty great bus luck).

For me, I never want to drive in Disney again, but I think it's totally personal preference.

I am a cheapo so I hated paying to park every time we went to a park. I think their prices are too high and we were often very far from the entrance. We walk enough in a day so I didn't like that. I don' like sometimes having to wait for the buses or having to stand but for the most part, it's not that bad. Disney does a good job with transportation like they do with everything else!!
You don't have to pay for parking if staying onsite.

We have done both and prefer driving... We like the convenience of the car and the busses are often SO COLD!

We rarely go early - we usually leave the hotel around 10am, visit a park for a few hours, come back and nap, and then go back our for ADRs, fireworks, and any EMH in the evening. Many times when we were showing up for EMH (we will sometimes show up just as the park is closing) we were able to park VERY close to the front of the lots since the parking lot workers were gone. :)

So the car ends up being most convenient for us since we come and go so much.

Definitely prefer driving but it's a personal preference. We went to a wdw with friends. We both were staying at pofq. We had a car and they didn't. We stayed til park close and we got back to the hotel faster each and every time. Usually by at least 30 minutes.

... To our surprise, we found that driving did not save any time. ...

I am always surprised at the number of people who insist one or the other saves time. After years and years I have found they are similar in time on average. I believe it's a personal decision. Some hate buses and that they are sometimes crowded or sometimes late. Some dislike walking to get your car, getting through the sometimes heavy traffic, waiting for toll booth, parking and then walking or taking a tram. Each can have variable results - longer or shorter at times.

Only one thing is sure. If you are mobility impaired and using a scooter, you will save a lot of time by renting your own and driving to the handicapped lots. Buses and ECVs or wheelchairs are long processes and you risk waiting for a second bus if there are already has ECVs ahead of you.

We had a trip over a year ago where some friends met us at WDW for the last few days of our trip. They drove and we used WDW transportation. As a result, we wound up testing the time difference between driving and Disney transport several times. We park hopped a few times during the weekend and we also would set off from the park back to a resort at the same time and vice versa. To our surprise, we found that driving did not save any time. By the time our friends had driven there, parked and walked to the gate, we were usually arriving at exactly the same time. There was one time when we park hopped from AK to EPCOT that we got on a bus right about when we got to the stop, and when we got to EPCOT we had to wait for over 15 minutes outside the gate for the drivers to arrive. They had to get out to their vehicle and wait for traffic to get out of AK and also traffic getting into EPCOT and then get from their vehicle to the gate. Even if we left at park closing to go the resort when Disney transportation is crowded, we got there the same time. We might have a wait for a bus, but they would have the wait of all the traffic exiting the park at the same time, so it evened out.

I agree with this. We did the same thing last year. We beat our friends (who were driving) to the park by at least 15 minutes every time.

I would count on transportation. You're on vacation, let someone else do the driving. The waiting is a pain, and people on buses are jerks sometimes, and it's a pain to stand (literally for some), but in the end I find it worth it. If you're leaving or going to a park at a time where you have to wait on four buses, you're going to be going through a lot of traffic in a car as well.

OP, we always drive to WDW, so we drive our car to and from the parks. Our value resort of choice is POP, and the bus system there is HORRIBLE (JMHO, based on our first stay several years ago). To elaborate a little, this is what happened to us: you wait 10-15 minutes for a bus, and as soon as it pulls up, here comes a person (or 2, or 3) on an ECV that you didn't notice because they were waiting far behind you, by the building in the shade, with their entire party; and, by the time they board, the bus is full, and you get to wait another 10-15 minutes at least for another one, at which time, the process repeats itself. NOTE: I am NOT bashing people who ride ECVs, I had to use one myself on DD's first trip to Disney. I'm simply explaining what happened to US on our first stay at POP, that made us decide to always drive our car-we don't have to wait for a bus, and we get to and from the parks much faster (at least, it seems that way).

Now, on our first trip to WDW in 1992, for our honeymoon, we stayed at CBR (which was a value resort at the time), and thought their bus service was WONDERFUL. We parked the car when we checked in, and didn't touch it again until the morning we checked out. There was a bus stop within sight of our room, and we never waited more than 5 minutes for a bus. I guess this is why we found POP's bus service lacking. Again, that is JMHO. YMMV.

We like to utilize the Disney bubble so we take Disney transport almost everywhere even tho we have a car. Just got back from a week there... got on the first bus or first monorail every time we attempted to use them.

That said, we did drive to DHS on opening day of SWW cuz we wanted to be there earlier than the buses went. Midday we were able to bus back getting on the first bus. The tram to the parking lot late at night after fireworks, we got on the 2nd tram to our car, then had to deal w exiting the parking lot -- a little traffic jam, but really not bad.

It's different when you drive. To us it feels like leaving Disney while you're on the road. On the Disney transportation you can people watch, talk to others on their vacation... tho you're still on a bus, monorail or boat... you're still on vacation, not going to or from vacation. I think it depends a lot where you're staying too. Monorail or boat is obviously more pleasant than busing every day.

We always drive even to MK. My DS8 loves the trams/monorail/ferry boat so we don't mind the extra steps to get to the gate. Its like extra rides for him.

Except for Downtown Disney area I have never had any issues with traffic on Disney property. Guaranteeing my own seat for myself and kids is a no brainer. I'd say 95% of the time driving is faster than the busses. There are far fewer variables to take into consideration when driving (other people, extra stops, ECVs, timing of when bus pulls in, etc). Loading one ECV basically kills any time advantage with bus vs. driving. Going between resorts is so easy. Getting groceries. Going to other area attractions. Getting to early ADR's. Getting to the airport when you want to, not when ME says you have to. With kids, I will never do Disney without a car again.

BTW, I usued to be a die hard Disney transportation proponent until I was pregnant with my first DS and we rented a car. We have done one trip without a car since then and I was online trying to book one 1/2 way through the trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter