Driving to Fort from San Diego

We have done 9 extended road trips (4-6 weeks each summer) with our kids and have visited all of the contiguous 48 in the process. My kids are now DD17, DS12 and DS10 and have always traveled well. I do all the planning/entertaining and my DH does all the driving. I try to plan 500-600 miles a day and I try not not to have more than 3 driving days back to back. We stop at welcome centers to let the kids run some and they can get a map to follow along too. We use the fridge in our 5th wheel for drinks and stuff to make sandwiches when we stop. Traveling with a pop-up you might find something like this useful for the trip and extra space at FW - Car Cooler - You can find several options, some for less than $50. I also recommend looking for a hotel with an indoor pool. You will be tired from driving all day, but the kids won't be.

Here are a few of our favorite ways to pass time on the drive:
Books on CD or similar
Portable DVD player (Harry Potter Marathon?)
Mad Libs

Would You Rather
Road Trip Scavenger Hunt or Rubberneckers
License Plate Sticker Book

One more note, someone else mentioned AAA RV, another option is https://www.goodsamroadside.com. They are currently running a special for $69. Either way make sure you have a roadside option that will also move your trailer if you break down. We learned this the hard way with Ford's Roadside Assistance.

I love the Fort decorated for Christmas! Have a great trip!

I think I'm getting a little scared of driving to Orlando with the pop up now. The story of Jack knifed trailers doesn't sound like how I want to start our vacation. I'm taking all of your advice to heart though. I'm thinking now of still driving, with a properly equipped tool kit and emergency supplies, but tent camping since I pretty much have all the supplies already. Makes me a little sad because I really wanted to take the pop up and it would be more comfy but I'd much rather be safe and not that stressed driving down because I do agree that pulling a trailer is different than just driving. I can make better time with just the minivan so that will be more time to relax on the trip down. Thanks again for all the good tips and advice!

I think I'm getting a little scared of driving to Orlando with the pop up now. The story of Jack knifed trailers doesn't sound like how I want to start our vacation. I'm taking all of your advice to heart though. I'm thinking now of still driving, with a properly equipped tool kit and emergency supplies, but tent camping since I pretty much have all the supplies already. Makes me a little sad because I really wanted to take the pop up and it would be more comfy but I'd much rather be safe and not that stressed driving down because I do agree that pulling a trailer is different than just driving. I can make better time with just the minivan so that will be more time to relax on the trip down. Thanks again for all the good tips and advice!

I in no means want to talk you out of taking the trailer. I love going out in mine. And you can do so very safely. The only thing to remember is that, as you said, pulling a trailer, of any type, is different then just driving. As long as you can plan enough days to drive it safely then take the pop up. (Staying in the trailer is much nicer). If you need to get there more quickly, then, yes take another way.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter