Driving to Fort from San Diego

MomofM&M

Mouseketeer
My youngest has no memories of WDW since she was two the last time we went and she has been asking to go there and also to see HP at Universal. I know they will open one in LA soon but if we are heading down there, why not see the original. Anyways, we will be pulling a very lightweight vintage pop up, about 700lbs, with our Honda Odyssey. I know it is a very long trip, almost 2500 miles one way. We plan on going during Christmas break, which I also realize is going to be very busy but then we also get to see the decorations. It just works better for school schedules. If school schedules change we might go during my kids fall break but I have a reservation already made because I read that December sells out. We have 18 days of vacation time. I was thinking of four days driving to the Fort and then five days back. We would just stay in hotels on the drive to and from so we would have flexibility on where and when we stop for the night. We haven't made that long a trip yet but I think with WDW as our destination, we have the proper motivation. So, does the drive times seem reasonable? On the way out we would average around 600 miles per day and 500 miles per day on the way back. Any tips on the drive or the Fort? Anyone done anything like this? If I am being unrealistic I would rather find out now than on the drive down. TIA!

When I plug your route into Mapquest it brings you over through Houston and onto I-10 across the Gulf Coast and then sough on I-75 for a grand total of 2430 miles and some change. It figures about 36 hours of travel time. Now, if you divide this up over four days that's about 9 hours of driving each day which is well within reason. Typically I drive a maximum of 12 hours a day. I can make Disney from my home in Mississippi in about 10-11 hours so roughly for me about 624 miles pulling the camper.

If you are traveling with someone who can share the driving duties you should have no problem, and even if you don't, nine hours a day is very doable. In fact, that leaves you some time each day to maybe even stop and check out some sites along the way and help to break up the drive and get even more rewards.

Of course that doesn't include time for meals, fuel, and restroom breaks.

I see no reason to think this is unreasonable. I would say you are giving yourself plenty of time there and back.

P.S.
If it isn't too much of a bother, I (and I assume everybody else here) would really like a "ride along" if you have the time. Would love to hear and maybe even see some things along the way. It sounds like a great trip as far as I can tell.

Wow, MomofM&M, you are really dedicated to drive all the way from San Diego!

Tiggerdad did a great job of laying out some travel plans. One thing to keep in mind is towing, even with the light weight trailer you described, means you end up driving slower than if you were not towing at all. Your Odyssey should not have a problem, but I generally tow at 5mph slower than I drive. So my target speed towing is 65mph and with food stops, gas breaks, and what not, I average on long drives about 62mph. So a 600 mile pull each day is at least 10 hours or so on the road.

Staying in hotels along the way does help not having to do daily set up and take down. I would suggest after day 3 or so staying put for a day to see the local sights and recharge everyone's batteries. But of course you could do the straight through thing just fine though. But yes, the 500-600 miles per day is reasonable but me, I wouldn't try over 600 for multiple days.

Good thing you got the reservation for December already made. You also might try to make that last day when you arrive at the Fort only a 4-6 hour drive (to put you there around noon-2pm or so) to give you time to set up before dinner and not be coming in after a full day's drive and setting up in the dark of night.

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup2

Bama Ed

That is so reassuring, Tiggerdad! I will be driving down myself and my husband will meet us there since he can't take that much time off. I will definitely try to post as we go. The farthest trip we have taken was 465 miles away and I did that in one day so I'm hoping with the Mouse as our goal we can do a little longer days of driving on our way out and then take our time on our return trip.

I don't know if I'm dedicated or crazy, Bama Ed! i have been reading about the Fort for a long while now and have always wanted to stay there. I keep putting off going to WDW but I promised my youngest that if she read all the HP books I would take her to see the Wizarding World and I just feel I will just keep putting it off and my kids will suddenly be grown up. I'm trying to do this trip on a budget and the Fort in our pop up seems to make it more reasonable, especially at Christmas time.
Based on your recommendation I'm going to push back our arrival day by one day. I think it will be good to have a short trip for the last day and I have family I can visit on the way down. thanks again for the tips and reassurance!

That's a very long drive towing or not. I have done something similar several times in my life. That being said I hope all goes well and you arrive safely at the Fort. We love the Fort and will be going for our fourth visit in 55 days and our fifth trip is scheduled for Halloween. The Fort is so relaxing and fun. Try to experience as much there as possible. On our last stay we did go to Universal to see Harry Potter. That is amazing to put it mildly. You will enjoy it but be warned it is expensive for a two day ticket. And the park to park option is an added expense to ride the Hogwarts express. If you want to try other things I would recommend looking at the Orlando Flex ticket. It gives you many more days and other things to see. Have Fun

As a guy who spends a lot of time towing other people, my biggest recommendations are to make sure you are prepared.

Make sure you know how to change a tire on both the van and the trailer. I'd even recommend buying a cheap 12 volt air pump and some tire plugs from Walmart just in case. Tire plugs aren't the best repair in the world but they work great, especially when you're in the middle of no where. Get you a decent multi tool to keep in the tire repair kit. Walmart has a sheffield brand one for $15, mines served me well over the years.

Get you a cheap hydraulic trolley jack, they're about $25 bucks and save a lot of time.

Keep you a gallon of coolant, a couple quarts of oil, and a good pair of 4 gage jumper cables in the van.

I can't tell you how many times someone has needlessly waited an hour plus for a tow truck to get to their vehicle just to change a tire, put air in a tire, or to jump start them.

And just in case, if not already a member, I'd invest in something like AAA RV. There's other companies out there, they're just the only ones I know the name of. This way if something happens to the van, they will take the van and trailer to a shop for you.

That's a very long drive towing or not. I have done something similar several times in my life. That being said I hope all goes well and you arrive safely at the Fort. We love the Fort and will be going for our fourth visit in 55 days and our fifth trip is scheduled for Halloween. The Fort is so relaxing and fun. Try to experience as much there as possible. On our last stay we did go to Universal to see Harry Potter. That is amazing to put it mildly. You will enjoy it but be warned it is expensive for a two day ticket. And the park to park option is an added expense to ride the Hogwarts express. If you want to try other things I would recommend looking at the Orlando Flex ticket. It gives you many more days and other things to see. Have Fun

Thanks, Flametamr, I will definitely check out the Orlando Flex ticket. I will have to budget for park to park since we will definitely want to ride the Hogwarts Express!

As a guy who spends a lot of time towing other people, my biggest recommendations are to make sure you are prepared.

Make sure you know how to change a tire on both the van and the trailer. I'd even recommend buying a cheap 12 volt air pump and some tire plugs from Walmart just in case. Tire plugs aren't the best repair in the world but they work great, especially when you're in the middle of no where. Get you a decent multi tool to keep in the tire repair kit. Walmart has a sheffield brand one for $15, mines served me well over the years.

Get you a cheap hydraulic trolley jack, they're about $25 bucks and save a lot of time.

Keep you a gallon of coolant, a couple quarts of oil, and a good pair of 4 gage jumper cables in the van.

I can't tell you how many times someone has needlessly waited an hour plus for a tow truck to get to their vehicle just to change a tire, put air in a tire, or to jump start them.

And just in case, if not already a member, I'd invest in something like AAA RV. There's other companies out there, they're just the only ones I know the name of. This way if something happens to the van, they will take the van and trailer to a shop for you.

Thanks so much for the real world advice. That is immensely helpful. I will add all your suggestions to my roadside kit. I plan on getting an extra spare trailer tire since they are small and have already practiced switching them out. I know how to switch out tires on the minivan but my problem has always been getting enough torque to move the lug nuts. I hadn't thought of signing up for a roadside service but that is a brilliant idea for our long trip.

I love a good road trip. but just thinking out loud.....

We are looking at 5000 mile round trip, at 10 MPG and $2 per gallon that's $1000. + 10 nights hotel + food. Lets say this cost $150 a day, that is $1500. Total is $2500 in just travel cost and 10 days (axp 100 hours) of windshield time.

I am seeing flights for around $350 - $400 per person and only 5 hours one way. AKA 1/2 day of driving. What if you rented a RV onsite and fly in?

This way you can max park time and FW time, to me well worth tradeoff.

1) driving from the West Coast is doable in your time frame.
2) Just make sure you make your Fort ressies soon, as they sell out FAST, FAST, FAST.
3) To save some time and aggravation, why not fly and rent the camper in Florida?
. . . several places rent and setup/takedown campers
. . . you just need the ressie at The fort
. . . this gives you more time at The Fort and in the parks - good chance to get a Potter Overload

I will be making a trip pulling a trailer this June from Madera CA which is middle of the state. I am planning a week with one day off during my trip over to Florida. My trailer is much larger but I have been towing a trailer and driving other large vehicles for years. If you do not regularly tow you need to get practice. I saw someone suggested 65 miles per hour which I think is a bit high. If your trailer is only 1 axle, you will flirting with danger going to fast or stopping to fast. In some cases pulling a heavier trailer is easier because it "sits" behind you. Smaller trailers seem to "bounce" around behind you and if you stop to quickly will come up and jack knife on you. Pulling any trailer takes a lot more energy then just driving and you will feel it at the end of a pulling day. I would suggest only going a top speed of 55/60 and plan your life around averaging no more then 50 miles per hour including stops. It would be wise to plan an extra day or two on the way. You can plan the extra days and if you have no problems and make good time, you can pull up a 150 miles short of Disney and take the day off to rest up for your time at the parks. I have done many long road trips pulling a trailer so if you have other questions, ask away.

I had to think and do some research on flying in and renting a camper. The only openings when I made a reservation were for the pop up/tent sites. The only pop ups I could find for rental are for 120$/night. And at eight nights, that's already 2/3 of what we paid for our pop up. We are trying to minimize costs so as much as I would love to fly in and enjoy more vacation time, I'm going to have to earn the vacation by driving down. I very much appreciate all the advice and experience you all have and will definitely go at a lower speed.

I will be making a trip pulling a trailer this June from Madera CA which is middle of the state. I am planning a week with one day off during my trip over to Florida. My trailer is much larger but I have been towing a trailer and driving other large vehicles for years. If you do not regularly tow you need to get practice. I saw someone suggested 65 miles per hour which I think is a bit high. If your trailer is only 1 axle, you will flirting with danger going to fast or stopping to fast. In some cases pulling a heavier trailer is easier because it "sits" behind you. Smaller trailers seem to "bounce" around behind you and if you stop to quickly will come up and jack knife on you. Pulling any trailer takes a lot more energy then just driving and you will feel it at the end of a pulling day. I would suggest only going a top speed of 55/60 and plan your life around averaging no more then 50 miles per hour including stops. It would be wise to plan an extra day or two on the way. You can plan the extra days and if you have no problems and make good time, you can pull up a 150 miles short of Disney and take the day off to rest up for your time at the parks. I have done many long road trips pulling a trailer so if you have other questions, ask away.

Madjohn - I like most of your points.

But - having never driven the California to Disney route and having driven the east coast to Disney many times, I would actually fear driving 55-60 on I-95 south. You would probably get run over. The through traffic is doing 75-85, with the occasional slowpoke (me) trying to avoid tickets doing 65-75 depending on the speed limit.

For this reason alone I have ditched the idea of towing my popup to Disney down I-95 south and also have seen the aforementioned jackknifed popup on several different trips.

I rarely tow my popup faster than 60mph because those little tires just plain scare me. You often see trailers pulled over with blowouts on the interstate.

Okay - maybe I'm overly cautious but I agree with your speed estimates - just not for the road travelled. So if the road to be travelled is okay to be going 'slow' disregard me!

MOM of M&M,
Not sure what your maintenance habits are on your trailer. There are three things I would look
1) have you bearing greased, if not done in the last year or so. It should cost around 125 - 150 an axle. VS $350 to replace 1 hub, and the lost time while on the road. consider this as cheap insurance vs the repair. Doesn't mean you wont lose a hub, but reduces the risk.
2) check tires, there should be manufacture date. Some tire people say every 5-7 years, no matter how many miles. Sun rot can lead to blown tires. maybe $100 a piece.
3) brakes, get them checked.

From a road trip preparedness, I would plan on bringing a small tool kit, maybe even a small barrel jack and block of wood (6X6X10) encase you need to change a camper tire. The wood block is help bridge the gap from ground to camper. Also make sure you have the proper sized nut wrench/socket for the camper tire.

Madjohn - I like most of your points.

But - having never driven the California to Disney route and having driven the east coast to Disney many times, I would actually fear driving 55-60 on I-95 south. You would probably get run over. The through traffic is doing 75-85, with the occasional slowpoke (me) trying to avoid tickets doing 65-75 depending on the speed limit.

For this reason alone I have ditched the idea of towing my popup to Disney down I-95 south and also have seen the aforementioned jackknifed popup on several different trips.

I rarely tow my popup faster than 60mph because those little tires just plain scare me. You often see trailers pulled over with blowouts on the interstate.

Okay - maybe I'm overly cautious but I agree with your speed estimates - just not for the road travelled. So if the road to be travelled is okay to be going 'slow' disregard me!

Yes I have pulled trailers on busy roads including I 5 right through LA. (just a point, great little RV park around corner from Disneyland if anyone wants to try it.) I grew up on the east coast and driven 95 many times to Florida. Yes busy and fast. When pulling a trailer you should sit in the right lane doing your thing. One of the keys is keeping distance between you and car in front of you and anticipate stops and people pulling in front of you quickly. Most of the nuts want to stay out of the right hand lanes so you are usually ok. My big rule on pulling the trailer. "If I am pulling the trailer, I am on vacation. Slow down and enjoy it."

I usually just lurk over here, mostly hangout on the DL boards.
Have you thought about bringing a tent and leaving the trailer at home? I often drive from Calgary to Anaheim/ San Diego and always tent. No towing or worry about tires blowing out. Especially doing the drive east by yourself. Cheaper than a motel along the way too. If you just take the basics, tent, air mattresses and sleeping bags. You could have it all set up in under half an hour.
My DS was always on me, why don' we get a small trailer or tent trailer and I always told him I would rather be able to drive faster and sleep in a tent.
As I said it's just a thought or a different option.

We have Good Sam's travel. If Grumpy Aggie is unable to drive our 5th wheel & then we call them & they will drive the truck/trailer home. So far, we have not had to do that, but I did have a flat at work & the Guy was there within 30 mins to change out the tire on my truck. I help DH drive to the Ft. from Central Texas(2400 milers trip) & our 1st stop is the KOA @milton Fla. We stay @ Citrus Fla the 2nd night. Only few hours at the Ft. & arrive always between 9:00 & 9:15. Have safe travels. Thank you Guys for the driving tips & knowledge we girls need to know while towing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter