• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving to DLP - any hints and tips please?

GemmsieJ

Earning My Ears
Hello, we will be going to DLP on the 24th March, getting the euro tunnel from Folkestone and then driving, has anyhone who has done this before got any hints or tips? Is it an easy route? Do you find it OK driving on the other side of the road? What about car head lights, do I need to modify mine in some way and do I need one of those european car safet packs with me (I think it includes a hi-vis jacket and a warning triangle - is this right?)

Many thanks, Gemma. x

Hi Gemma,

It's a really easy route and road to drive. You'll barely even notice you're on the other side of the road most of the time.

You'll need headlamp deflectors that you can buy in Halfords, most supermarkets or as part of a European driving kit that you can buy. Don't put them on until you're on the Eurotunnel train and remember to take them off when you get back on it before arriving in the UK.

It's compulsory to have a warning triangle, a GB sticker (if your licence plate doesn't have the European sign on it) and a hi-vis vest that you have to keep visible or within arms length (so can't be left in the boot, for example).

We don't use a SatNav but instead follow the ViaMichelin route - http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Itineraires?strStartLocid=31NDNoN2sxMGNOVEF1T1RJMk53PT1jTVM0NE1UUTROdz09&strDestLocid=32NDMyeTU1Nzc3NzcxMGNORGd1T0Rjek56TT1jTWk0M09UWTBOdz09&intItineraryType=1&caravaneHidden=false&vh=CAR&strVehicle=0&itineraryCarType=0&itineraryFuelType=1&isFavoriseAutoroute=false&isAvoidPeage=false&isAvoidVignette=false&isAvoidLNR=false&isAvoidFrontiers=true&dtmDeparture=05%2F03%2F2011&distance=mi&devise=0.6756757|GBP&indemnite=&carbCost=1.36&autoConso=5.1&villeConso=4.5&routeConso=4.2 - and you really can't go wrong.

You'll have to pay on the toll road but it's well worth it rather than trying to find your way around all the small towns. You'll pass the first toll gantry where you'll get your ticket then you pay when you leave the toll road. It varies depending on time of day etc but its usually something between 13E-19E (we've not driven for a year so not sure if that's changed).

We normally take an early Eurotunnel crossing around 650am and then it's just under 3 hours to get to the parks so we're there before noon.

Hi weve driven twice, the only tip i would give you is be carefull of the speed limits as we arrived at the roundabout to the hotels we were stopped along with many others on this stretch of road and fined something like 90 euros imediately and were told that we could of had our licence removed :eek: totally our fault but just be aware and have a lovely trip :hippie:

Hi, we've driven twice now. It is a fairly easy drive down from the tunnel, the last two times we went the road toll was E20.20 each way. We always make sure we have a french road atlas with us just in case we have to take a detour for any reason.

Another vote for taking a French road map with you, we made a wrong turn and got totally lost, thank goodness for google maps!!
We were warned of being careful stopping in the roadside rest areas (the laybys with loos basically) as there had been some trouble.

My family drove from Salzburg. Be careful your GPS doesn't lead you off the main toll roads. Our Garmin took us on a "short cut" that was actually a tiny country road. Added another hour to the drive, but we did get to see some beautiful towns.

There are plenty of WC stops along the way, we never had a problem. Well, except when I accidentally spoke to the shopkeeper in German (hadn't realized we'd entered France yet!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter