Driving to Disney

Know all about the wonderful police in Virginia, Carolina's and Georgia! DH got a nice ticket coming home one year. Darn truckdrivers!!! I have to keep reminding him he isn't in his big truck - he is in our little truck!

We leave Friday 6/6 from Delaware. Leaving right after work around 5 ish and hoping to make NC border to spend the night then finish the drive Sat. Drove last year from Cape Canaveral got off the ship at 8:00 am and was in my drivway in Delaware at midnight that day. :moped:

I read your response and asked my DH about going the northeast ext, but he just said 'yeah we could go that way and then changed the subject.' I guess since we've gone via 17 the last few years, he doesnt want to change. Men!
Your grandon will love it. Our DD was 2 1/2 for our trip last year and she had a great time! Barnstormer, IASW, Dumbo and Peter Pan were must do's ever time we went to MK. The only thing was she didn't care for the fireworks. They were too loud for her.
overboard? - You can never go overboard. enjoy your trip!
first off, 17 to 95 is an easier way if you dont travel 95 (philly, balt, washington) all the time. its alot less stressfull. second, i real man wouldnt listen to a women in the department of directions in the first place.tell your dh, good answer! if i would listen to my dw everytime she told me to "turn here" i would still be turning in one big circle! women :lmao:

We are driving down in Oct from the Lehigh Valley. Just be mindful of the police in VA.....they are BRUTAL (speaking from experience from our WDW return home trip...got a nice fat ticket!).

Wishin our trip was much closer than 4.5 months!

I agree (being a native Virginian).. worst place to the police is around Emporia... Especially if you just so happen to get off for gas, food, etc. Be VERY VERY mindful of speed limits on RT 58.. The Emporia police are well known for their speed traps.. NOTORIOUS.

Just noticed some posts about the Police in VA, NC, and SC. I can't say much about SC but in Va had a friend that got a ticket as an out of stater recently and the cost was well over $500.00. He said that VA charges higher fines for out of staters and be careful with Radar Dec. in VA as well one of few states that they are illegal in.

When DH got pulled over on the way home from Disney it was by a Trooper that was in a camaro. The camaro had no markings or anything. He pulled along side of us and pointed his finger to pull over. At first I told DH not to pull over since we had no clue it was really a trooper, then he turned on the lights so we of course pulled over. You really have to watch for the unmarked cars and then you don't know if they really are troopers. That's the worst part. The tickets down south are more then up here in PA. I think his speeding ticket was over $300 and I don't think we were even 10mph over the limit.

MY DH, DD, and I are leaving from the Wilkes-Barre area a week after you (8/29-30). We don't mind the drive. Our goal each trip is to drive to the GA state line. We usually take 81 to 66 then 17 and pick up I95 in Fredricksburg, VA.

With gas stops, 2 meal stops and 4 hrs sleep for M and D, it takes us about 22.5 hours.

How is the drive on 1-81 vs i-95. Is is still the best bet to take i-81 even if you are leaving on a Saturday?

We are not driving down from PA till November...never thought to drive over night. I will have a 16 month old...maybe that is best for her...thanks for the advice guys!

Fortunately, we bought $118 RT airfares in Jan for out WDW trip in Aug.

Our pilots will be driving, approx 42,000 feet above Interstate 95. :dance3:

We are not driving down from PA till November...never thought to drive over night. I will have a 16 month old...maybe that is best for her...thanks for the advice guys!
when are dd was a baby, we would drive all night , just remember, when you get there the kids are ready to go with sleep. you wont have any sleep. (we did it but we are like kids anyway.)

We are leaving on the 23rd of Aug from Va Beach. We are stopping somewhere in Ga. for the night though since check in is not till the 24th. :goodvibes

I will put our lime green mickeys up on the back window. Honk if you see us!! :goodvibes

We are leaving on the 23rd of Aug from Va Beach. We are stopping somewhere in Ga. for the night though since check in is not till the 24th. :goodvibes

I will put our lime green mickeys up on the back window. Honk if you see us!! :goodvibes

HEY we're leaving the same time... Doing exactly the same thing.. stopping in Savannah. Gonna make reservations at a HOliday Inn there since I have points so the room is free!! We check into POFQ on teh 24th. We'll look for you on the road somewhere. :)

HEY we're leaving the same time... Doing exactly the same thing.. stopping in Savannah. Gonna make reservations at a HOliday Inn there since I have points so the room is free!! We check into POFQ on teh 24th. We'll look for you on the road somewhere. :)

:rotfl2: I'll watch for ha. But we are "day" people. We like to leave around 7:00-8:00 then stop when it gets dark. Actually, I think Savannah is where we will probably stop. Too funny. We stop a lot on the road too. Never in a hurry, so if you see 6 crazy people wandering around the rest stop or at South Of The Border, it is probably us lol.

:rotfl2: I'll watch for ha. But we are "day" people. We like to leave around 7:00-8:00 then stop when it gets dark. Actually, I think Savannah is where we will probably stop. Too funny. We stop a lot on the road too. Never in a hurry, so if you see 6 crazy people wandering around the rest stop or at South Of The Border, it is probably us lol.

We tend to stop a bit too.. with 2 kids it almost mandatory.. I would drive us til we get there (did that last year) but i was soo exhausted from all that driving, taht when we did get there on the first day, I was pretty much worthless..

so this time we are the "day" people as well.. ;)

We tend to stop a bit too.. with 2 kids it almost mandatory.. I would drive us til we get there (did that last year) but i was soo exhausted from all that driving, taht when we did get there on the first day, I was pretty much worthless..

so this time we are the "day" people as well.. ;)

It is a exhausting ride! We normally rest at the resort for awhile before hitting the parks. I like to give dh a 3 hour nap and take the kids to the pool. The worst part of driving to WDW is the ride home. That is the part I can't take. It seems like you drive and drive and drive!

How is the drive on 1-81 vs i-95. Is is still the best bet to take i-81 even if you are leaving on a Saturday?

We always drive down on a Friday early afternoon and start on I-81 to 66, 17 and pick up 95 in Virginia. The traffic isn't bad at all. I'm not sure how Saturday's are.
dvczerfs, can you help out with that answer?
Coming home we leave on a Saturday, also early afternoon and drive up I95. The traffic isn't bad then either...not even in Jacksonville.

WE are driving down on July 24th . We are driving from NYC and will leave Thursday in the middle of the night . We usually stop on Friday somewhere in GA . Then we check in July 26th . We have THREE KIDS :crazy: I know it is crazy but our older two will look like this most of the trip :music: . The I -POD is an amazing invention and my DS will be watching a DVD while DH and I take turns driving :car: .. After WDW we are off to USF to see :charac4: Can't wait . :banana:

::yes:: Oh so jealous of you guys going in August, wish November would hurry the heck up. Enjoy the drive down in August to WDW and enjoy Savannah, Love the area.
We get to add another expense to our trip portable DVD player went out on daughter. Does any one have a suggestion on a good in expensive one to replace the busted one with?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter