driving to disney??

grover

DIS Veteran
oy...don't know how ya'll do it!!!
we drove to denver and back (17 hours each way and we stopped and got a hotel at the 11 hour mark) and it dang near killed us!
we thought intially..ahh..it is nothing..but boy did we just feel like getting home and fast!

i once had dreams of saving some $$ and doing the 30+ hour drive to disney..i think i know now i can't!

of course maybe a snazzy mini van and dvd player may make the difference!

We almost always drive from Toronto and everyone in our family seems to prefer it - the kids love to watch movies, play games, stop at rest stations along the way.

We do it with one overnight - usually we drive 16 hours the first day and leave around 2 or 3 a.m.

I never get to read the book that I always plan on reading because it is constantly, mommy can I .........

Going down is much more fun then going back - my dh does all the driving.

tink&cinderella said:
We almost always drive from Toronto and everyone in our family seems to prefer it - the kids love to watch movies, play games, stop at rest stations along the way.

We do it with one overnight - usually we drive 16 hours the first day and leave around 2 or 3 a.m.

I never get to read the book that I always plan on reading because it is constantly, mommy can I .........

Going down is much more fun then going back - my dh does all the driving.

We are the same way we just can't imagine a Disney trip that didn't include driving from London to Disney. The kids and the wife and I feel the drive is all part of the adventure. I mean I-75 through Michigan and Ohio is pretty boring but past that we love the drive it also helps that all that section is done while the kids sleep.

We are driving for the first time from Cape Breton--36+ hours! I'll let you know if we survive, but we do have a new van and a DVD player. Our kids are really young adults too. I'm not sure I could attempt it with little ones! We are looking forward to seeing the US. Our plan is to stop and shop quite a bit on the way down and probably have a more direct drive home. Hopefully, we will escape any hurricanes!! :)

I love, love, LOVE driving to WDW! :thumbsup2

It makes for a longer (not to mention cheaper) trip and no matter how great WDW transportation is, it's WAAAY better to have a car.

3 long days to get there and 2 very long days to get back. We wasted a lot of time though with some bad planning and obstacles (like no AC therefore drinking lots of H2O therefore lots & lots of pee breaks). we will do it differently next time (2 years), we won't drive at night too much on the way there, maybe the first night but then it's too tiring.....The way back is a different story! We would like to stop and see some places, depends on the $$$.

Have fun, it is really quite an adventure!

:moped:

Anyone here drive in early April? (F4Disneyfan-you're closest to me) We are thinking of going around April 6th (my ds's b-day) and driving down. Last time we flew from Buffalo, about which I had no complaints, but dh wants to drive this time. My kids are great car travellers so I'm not worried about that, and we just got a new car last month. We're planning to stay at Cocoa Beach and drive in for a few days of Disney fun rather than the week o' Disney like we did this past year.

snickerboo said:
Anyone here drive in early April? (F4Disneyfan-you're closest to me) We are thinking of going around April 6th (my ds's b-day) and driving down. Last time we flew from Buffalo, about which I had no complaints, but dh wants to drive this time. My kids are great car travellers so I'm not worried about that, and we just got a new car last month. We're planning to stay at Cocoa Beach and drive in for a few days of Disney fun rather than the week o' Disney like we did this past year.

Feb was one month we did drive and it was fine especially after you pass Ohio actually in Cincinati the snow was all but gone and into Kentuky it was clear.

Anyone here drive in early April?

We've driven down later in April (around the 19th) and never had any problems.

We're planning to stay at Cocoa Beach and drive in for a few days of Disney fun rather than the week o' Disney like we did this past year.

Cocoa Beach is TONS of fun! :thumbsup2

madonna31 said:
We've driven down later in April (around the 19th) and never had any problems.

Cocoa Beach is TONS of fun! :thumbsup2

We stayed at Cocoa Beach in Dec 2003 we are not beach people mind you so 3 days there was more than enough time plus it was very very dead there was maybe 20 people on the beach at most. It was neat to go out to the beach at night with the kids and the flashlight and look for crabs walking on the beach though we all loved that.

If you are in Cocoa Beach over a weekend, I suggest going to Jetty's Park to watch either the Disney Magic (Saturday) or the Disney Wonder (Sunday) sail away. It's a lot of fun just to hear the 'When you Wish Upon a Star' horn. :)

We drive from an hour northwest of London, and I actually enjoy it. As F4disneyfan said, Michigan and northern Ohio aren't exactly scenic, but after that, the trip is nice. We leave at 4AM, and call it a day in Dalton, Georgia, around supper time. Day 2 we have a nice breakfast, and hit the road by 8AM, getting to Disney around 2PM. I do all of the driving, and DW navigates.
The return trip is a little tougher, since the adrenaline isn't there, but it is quite manageable. We tend to split the drive more evenly on the way home. Last time it cost us $300 for gas, and $60 for meals. Sure beat the $1000 for the 4 of us to fly. The extra $600 gave us a couple more days in Florida. :moped:

digskat said:
We drive from an hour northwest of London, and I actually enjoy it. As F4disneyfan said, Michigan and northern Ohio aren't exactly scenic, but after that, the trip is nice. We leave at 4AM, and call it a day in Dalton, Georgia, around supper time. Day 2 we have a nice breakfast, and hit the road by 8AM, getting to Disney around 2PM. I do all of the driving, and DW navigates.
The return trip is a little tougher, since the adrenaline isn't there, but it is quite manageable. We tend to split the drive more evenly on the way home. Last time it cost us $300 for gas, and $60 for meals. Sure beat the $1000 for the 4 of us to fly. The extra $600 gave us a couple more days in Florida. :moped:

You are so correct about it being less than scienic that is why we drive through there at night that way we don't have to look at it LOL.

We catch it during the return. I love the sign just outside of Detroit, 'Prison Area- Don't pick up hitchikers!'. Unfortunately, that is the highlight of Michigan. Cincinatti isn't bad, but it is much nicer once you hit Kentucky.

We love the drive to disney!!!! it's 14 and a half hours and we plan and talk and have a great time on the way there.....we love the drive.....on the way there.....however, the drive home is long and tedious and works better if we all sleep, except of course for the driver!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter