Driving to Disney from Michigan - Split up drive?

momofbatman

Earning My Ears
Hello, I was wondering how others handle a long drive to Disney to best suit their kids. Our youngest is 3 and know that we will have to take 2 days to drive since its a 16 hour drive. Has anyone drove it in 1 day and survived...lol We are looking at driving for around 11 hours the first day, then have a short 5 hour drive to get to the hotel the next. Any tips on making the long drive better?

I personally believe in driving as far/long as I safely can on the first day. Obviously that will depend on what time we leave, what traffic has been like, etc. If we leave at 4p (for example), we may only drive 7-8 hours. But if we leave at 9am, we could go 10-12 hours.

I also don't believe in make hotel reservations before leaving. With the advent of smart phones, I'd do it (have someone else in the car) start calling about 60-90 before we're ready to stop.

As far as making the drive easier, toys & games for the kids. Maybe even portable DVD players?

Couple of things.
1) What part of Michigan are you coming from? I can't see any part of Michigan in which you can reach WDW in less than 16 1/2 hours. Mapquest shows Toledo to WDW as 16 hours and 44 minutes.
2) With a toddler, you have to add on a few hours for meals, potty breaks and general stretching. I would add at least a couple hours to the listed time. So now, you're looking at 19 hours. And possibly more if you're coming above Detroit.
3) Will you be taking I-75 or some other route. I can help you more with the I-75 route.

We live in Grand Rapids and our first trip we drove. We were not sure how the kids would handle it since they were 3 and 6. We ended up driving 8 hours the first day and that got us to Cave City Kentucky. We then drove another 8 hours to Lake city Florida. The rest of the drive was really short to Kissimmee. If i was more aware, I would have kept going. I can guarantee you will not make it in 16 hours. from GR it is 18 hours 23 minutes with no stops. To make the trip easier have lots of snacks, and a DVD Player.

We've driven a few times from Ohio. We try to go as far as possible on the first day to make that second day's drive shorter. We stop for dinner and then decide how much farther we think we can go based on everybody's mood. We always got a hotel with a pool to release some energy.

My other tips, take food to make lunch on the road, saves time and the kids can run around at a rest area to get the wiggles out. First long drive they had the most fun with pipe cleaners. They made all kinds of stuff and they were light and cheap. Also bubbles. We blew bubbles at the rest areas, again a great way to get out the wiggles. I found LOTS of great driving ideas here on the DIS.
FWIW, our first driving trip the kids were 2, 6, and 8. I was kind of amazed at how well our kids did without tv in the car. Honestly, they were better on that long drive than they are on a quick trip to Target from home. ;) It is still that way and they are now 12, 16, and 18. lol

Put a small bag or cooler in the floor space in front of your smaller child's seat so that he/she can mover about and adjust as one whose feet hits the floor. Makes for much more comfort for the child.

We have a piece of rope that goes on all trips -- we use it as a finish line at rest areas. Run to X -- come back and cross the finish line. We take 10 minutes at a rest area with two children -- go to the bathroom, do about 3 races, and they are ready to get back in the car.

We also bought a game called "Rubber Neckers" years ago on amazon. We don't play the game as intended, just keep about 5 cards active for anyone to call out. We give points and do absolutely nothing with the score, but it keeps us noticing the world passing by outside our car windows. :car:

If you are coming from Michigan, you aren't going to make it in 16 hours. That is straight driving time, with no breaks and no stopping. I would plan on adding at least 2-3 hours to that estimate to account for breaks and for the younger kids, you'll want to stop longer to let them run off some steam.

We have driven from SW Michigan twice now (and before that about 10 times from Western New York where we used to live) It's about 1,150 miles for us now and used to be 1,250 from New York. Ditto what everyone else is saying on drive time. Our kids are 11 and 14 now but we've done the drive since they were each 1 1/2. We survive with movies, special snacks, toys arts supplies etc. We get the special stuff out further into the trip. When they were little it was a lot of color wonder markers and little toys. Now it's a new movie or a new cartridge for a the DS. We have done it with 2 nights on the road and 1. This past trip (about 3 weeks ago) we left Saint Joe at 4:00pm on Thursday (1/29) and stayed in Indy for the night and then on Friday night we stopped in Macon for the night. On the way back we had planned on leaving the parks about 3 on Monday the 9th to head north but there was rain North and South so we stayed another night and left Tuesday am. I had to be back to work Thursday so we had one night (which is plenty) we just like to take our time when we can. There was an accident on 75 in GA and we drove 2 miles in one hour, it happens sometimes. We stayed in Franklin KY Tuesday night. Left about 8:30 the next morning and got home about 4:30.

We stop with the kids. When they were little we'd bring a playground ball and bubbles with us to use when we stopped. We'd make them run "to that tree and back" etc.

We love the drive, we treat it as part of the vacation. We have many memories and stories from the car. We try to limit junk at home so sometimes as a treat when it's getting to the end and everyone's cranky, we stop to get gas and tell the kids they can each pick out 2 or 3 things what ever junk they want. They think that's the best thing. This past trip we called it Chik Fil A tour 2015. My partner is a "Chik Fil A" mom so she wanted posts for her blog so we stopped at 5 chik fil as in 3 states over the course of the trip.

Good luck and have fun!

We live in Grand Rapids and our first trip we drove. We were not sure how the kids would handle it since they were 3 and 6. We ended up driving 8 hours the first day and that got us to Cave City Kentucky. We then drove another 8 hours to Lake city Florida. The rest of the drive was really short to Kissimmee. If i was more aware, I would have kept going. I can guarantee you will not make it in 16 hours. from GR it is 18 hours 23 minutes with no stops. To make the trip easier have lots of snacks, and a DVD Player.

Hi neighbor! I live in Wyoming, MI. And I agree, it is way more than a 16 hour drive. Mapquest shows it at 19 hours, without stops. OP-You need to rethink things a bit. I know what we have done in the past was leave after work, and then drive for 4 or 5 hours. That usually gets us to the bottom of Indiana. The next day is still a full day of driving. Then the 3rd day it is a short hop to WDW. With stops, especially with very young kids, you could make it in 22 hours of drive time, stops included.

Hi neighbor! I live in Wyoming, MI. And I agree, it is way more than a 16 hour drive. Mapquest shows it at 19 hours, without stops. OP-You need to rethink things a bit. I know what we have done in the past was leave after work, and then drive for 4 or 5 hours. That usually gets us to the bottom of Indiana. The next day is still a full day of driving. Then the 3rd day it is a short hop to WDW. With stops, especially with very young kids, you could make it in 22 hours of drive time, stops included.

Kentwood checking in:wave:!

The times that we've driven were all over spring break. We'd leave on Friday afternoon, right after the kids get out of school, and drive until about 10pm. That usually put us somewhere in southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky. Then we would drive all day Saturday and stop around Lake City, FL, which left us about a 2 hour drive to WDW on Sunday. By doing it this way, we would arrive in WDW in the morning/early afternoon instead of 10-11pm, which would be a waste of an onsite hotel night. This also allows us to sleep in a bit on the final day of driving so that we are well-rested and ready to start our trip.

For our trip home, we would leave early (around 9am) and drive until about 10pm. This usually put us in the middle of TN or southern KY. **BE WARNED!!! If you are traveling up the I-75 corridor during spring break and plan to stop overnight....MAKE A RESERVATION!!** We saw so many tired, haggard and frazzled families come into the lobby and beg for a room. They said that they'd been driving north for HOURS looking for a hotel with vacancy. We ended up getting stuck in traffic and didn't get to our hotel until about 11pm (when we'd planned to be there by 10) but at least we had a room. If we'd been early, we would have just chilled and took advantage of the extra sleep. The next morning (Saturday), we'd drive until we got home. That left us with Sunday to rest and recover before going back to school/work on Monday.

My kids first drove to WDW in 2010 when they were 4 and 6. We had DVD's, coloring books, and such and they really enjoyed the ride. One thing that really helped was stopping for food at restaurants with a play land. What we did was order food for DH and I and while we sat down for a "quiet" meal, we let the kids run loose in the play land for about 20 minutes. Then, I would take them for a potty break and DH would order their food to go. The kids would eat once we were back on the road. This helped minimize the amount of time we were stopped while still allowing the kids to get their legs moving. We would also get fuel each time we stopped for a meal. This way, we didn't have to make "extra" stops.

We've driven to HHI twice and WDW once with the kids and they still can't decide whether they driving or flying better. They have always endured "long" road trips, ever since they were little. My DH has family in the UP and he takes the kids up there about once a month during the summer (on the weekends that I am at work) and that is 8 hours of driving time, one way. They love it!

We do cross country drives every year (though not to Orlando, we always fly there), and we generally plan it all out. We have three kids, so any stops we make for bio breaks end up being 15-20 minutes each. Meals usually 45 minute breaks to an hour. We always book the hotel before we leave home, so that we can read reviews and avoid an unpleasant experience plus make sure there is an indoor pool. We've been doing this for about 13 years, so we have it down pretty well. Actual driving time is about 13 hours or so. We typically try to leave fairly early in the day, and drive until 6ish or so PM. We stop for the night, eat, let the kids swim and exhaust themselves before calling it a night. We get up and swim again in the morning before getting back in the car for the last 1/3rd of the trip. It works well for us.

We pack lots of entertainment in the car - Kindles, movies, games, etc., and also lots of water, fruit and some healthy snacks mixed with plain old munchies.

As a mom of a 3 year old and a 15 year old, I will tell you there is no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that you will make it to Florida in 16 1/2 hours. I live near Ann Arbor, and yes, it *should* take about 17 hours based on mapquest, BUT....we drove to Florida with them last summer. Drove to TN to visit family first. That drive should have taken us about 8 hours. 10 1/2 hours later......we arrived. (so add on 2 hours to your first leg at least). Second leg, we got up and drove the remaining what should have been 10 hours. 12 hours later (without a dinner break), we arrived at my sister's house in Tampa. So whatever you are thinking timewise, add 25-30% longer, and then just be happy if you get there quicker. With kids, the drive *will* take you 20 hours minimum.

I would also make a reservation first if I were you for your stopping point. You can get some really good deals on Hotwire, and save lots of money.

Another thing to beware of, there is a section of 75 between the middle of KY and the end of TN that seems to be prone to accidents that shut the entire freeway down. In two of our drives so far (I've only drove like 6 times down there), I have had to literally sit in park for an hour + while they clean up an accident. The last time was this summer when I had the two kids in the car. The 3 year old was NOT happy. I don't know if it's just my luck or if it happens a lot, but I'm at about 30% for it, so.....

Now that you've heard my words of warning ;-), here are some tips. Bring snacks, lots of snacks. Bring coloring books and crayons. Stock up on little trinkets from the dollar store and have a "surprise bag" where they get a surprise for each hour they've endured on the road:-). If you have a portable dvd player, that is a lifesaver sometimes. Make sure you do stop so you can ward off car sickness, and speaking of that, bring lollipops, the more citrusy the better. We like Yummy Earth Organic lollipops because they have real fruit, so it helps with the nausea. Most of all good luck! :-)

We drive from Upstate NY, about the same distance. We drove straight through once with 2 drivers and found it was really not safe by the time we got to Florida. Entertain the kids with movies. Make it two days or at least 1 1/2 days for your safety!

Kentwood checking in:wave:!

The times that we've driven were all over spring break. We'd leave on Friday afternoon, right after the kids get out of school, and drive until about 10pm. That usually put us somewhere in southern Indiana/Northern Kentucky. Then we would drive all day Saturday and stop around Lake City, FL, which left us about a 2 hour drive to WDW on Sunday. By doing it this way, we would arrive in WDW in the morning/early afternoon instead of 10-11pm, which would be a waste of an onsite hotel night. This also allows us to sleep in a bit on the final day of driving so that we are well-rested and ready to start our trip.

For our trip home, we would leave early (around 9am) and drive until about 10pm. This usually put us in the middle of TN or southern KY. **BE WARNED!!! If you are traveling up the I-75 corridor during spring break and plan to stop overnight....MAKE A RESERVATION!!** We saw so many tired, haggard and frazzled families come into the lobby and beg for a room. They said that they'd been driving north for HOURS looking for a hotel with vacancy. We ended up getting stuck in traffic and didn't get to our hotel until about 11pm (when we'd planned to be there by 10) but at least we had a room. If we'd been early, we would have just chilled and took advantage of the extra sleep. The next morning (Saturday), we'd drive until we got home. That left us with Sunday to rest and recover before going back to school/work on Monday.

My kids first drove to WDW in 2010 when they were 4 and 6. We had DVD's, coloring books, and such and they really enjoyed the ride. One thing that really helped was stopping for food at restaurants with a play land. What we did was order food for DH and I and while we sat down for a "quiet" meal, we let the kids run loose in the play land for about 20 minutes. Then, I would take them for a potty break and DH would order their food to go. The kids would eat once we were back on the road. This helped minimize the amount of time we were stopped while still allowing the kids to get their legs moving. We would also get fuel each time we stopped for a meal. This way, we didn't have to make "extra" stops.

We've driven to HHI twice and WDW once with the kids and they still can't decide whether they driving or flying better. They have always endured "long" road trips, ever since they were little. My DH has family in the UP and he takes the kids up there about once a month during the summer (on the weekends that I am at work) and that is 8 hours of driving time, one way. They love it!

We did this exact thing thing on over 25+ trips to WDW. We live in Metro Detroit area and I can tell you that with over 25 trips under our belt, the average time traveled is 21 hours. It is 1,176 miles from our driveway to the gates of the kingdom! You will never make it in 16 hours, so as others have recommended, break the time traveled up into 3 days. There is nothing like arriving at WDW after only a short drive and being able to spend a magical day in the happiest place on earth.

Well we actually live within a mile of Indiana, and yes google maps says just under 17 hours, but we decided to stop right after Atlanta in Macon, GA. This will be a 12 hour drive plus stops, so much more manageable than driving straight through. We also plan on leaving around 5am or earlier so the kids can sleep part of the way, that way there is less of "Are we there yet?"..lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter