Driving time from Las Vegas to DL?

Tinkerpooh

Earning My Ears
We will be driving from Las Vegas to DL and we are wondering about actual driving time. We are planning on leaving 6-6:30am. Our kids are teens, so we won't have a lot of stopping. Mapquest and others vary so much and don't seem very accurate when we used them on other trips. Best route ideas? Any help would be great!! Thanks

We will be driving from Las Vegas to DL and we are wondering about actual driving time. We are planning on leaving 6-6:30am. Our kids are teens, so we won't have a lot of stopping. Mapquest and others vary so much and don't seem very accurate when we used them on other trips. Best route ideas? Any help would be great!! Thanks

it usually takes us around 3 1/2 hours, and we always take the 15 all the way to the 91 and then the 57 i believe.

Takes us around 4 to 4.5 hours, but we've got small children. Alot of it depends on what time you are getting into California and if it is rush hour or not.

Whenever I've traveled there by car it's always taken either 3.5 to 4 hours, sometimes less but that was at like 5 am and there was hardly any traffic. I would say traffic is the biggest factor.

Thanks so much for the info. We were hoping to get there by opening time at 10:00am. We are only at DL for 2 full days and 2 half days. Our arrival day (possibly a half day) is a Grad nite, so we are thinking the earlier the better. I'd like it to be a full day since it closes at 9pm. We might even leave earlier depending on traffic time. What time does the traffic thin out in the am? Thanks

Thanks so much for the info. We were hoping to get there by opening time at 10:00am. We are only at DL for 2 full days and 2 half days. Our arrival day (possibly a half day) is a Grad nite, so we are thinking the earlier the better. I'd like it to be a full day since it closes at 9pm. We might even leave earlier depending on traffic time. What time does the traffic thin out in the am? Thanks
FYI, my personal record from Vegas to Anaheim is 4 hours 10 minutes, from Flamingo & the 15 to the Embassy Suites on Harbor Blvd (on a Friday afternoon when most of the traffic is on the other side of the freeway). DH's best time is 3 hrs, 45 minutes, but from Anaheim Stadium to our house.

If you want to be in line, at the gate, tickets in hand, at 10 am, then you need to be in Anaheim by 9:30, to park, ride the tram and go through security. I would leave Vegas at 5 am, 5:30 am at the latest. If you leave Vegas at 5 am, you should not hit any traffic at all until you get into LA (unless there's an accident or bad weather). I would stay away from the 91 freeway; and instead, from the 15, take the 210 to the 57 and get off at Ball Road to get to DL. Good Luck!

I have never tried that route, is it a huge time saver? Does it vary with the time of day?

Wow I so need to move to Vegas, from Northern Nevada it takes us a good 8-9 hours. I knew we moved to the wrong side of the state!! Humph!

It usually takes us between 4.5 to 5 hours. We have four kids though and each stop takes forever!! LOL Plus we usually stop in Barstow to eat, and since my DH works nights we dont' get a very early start.

When we lived in Burbank, CA and would drive from there to Vegas, we'd leave early in the morning and it was just DH and I, we'd do it in about 3 hours.

It really depends on how many speeding laws you break and if you hit traffic. If you are travelling during the week, I totally agree with avoiding the 91 in during rush hours (about 7 to 9a), if at all possible. When we travel 70 mph it takes us about 4.5 to 5 hours, when we crank it up to 75 or 80 we might shave off half an hour or so. If you're the 100 mph on the 15 in the middle of nowhere type, I don't have any words for you. lol

It really depends on how many speeding laws you break and if you hit traffic. If you are travelling during the week, I totally agree with avoiding the 91 in during rush hours (about 7 to 9a), if at all possible. When we travel 70 mph it takes us about 4.5 to 5 hours, when we crank it up to 75 or 80 we might shave off half an hour or so. If you're the 100 mph on the 15 in the middle of nowhere type, I don't have any words for you. lol

That's true. And I've seen enough accidents out there (fatal ones too :guilty: ) on the 15 that I won't let DH go over 70.
He tries because everyone else is passing by us, but I'd rather take longer and get there in one piece, then shave an hour off our time.

Sorry I tend to speed ........but try to control it a bit, have a big SUV and sometimes I am goin way too fast. Next trip we need to leave about 2-3pm after the 5th graders have some sort of grad lunch.....I hate not having a set time , but I want to be there by 8 the latest.

Just outside of Reno, so in Northern Nevada. We catch 5 by cutting across to Sacramento, then all the way down!

Ouch that 5 is a looooooonng and boring trek till you hit the city, then you miss the boring part as you sit in traffic :rotfl: I have family and friends in Nor Cal so know the 5 too well.

I agree with the 210 directions. Much better freeway.

I won't talk about rate of speed but if you see a little Red blur on the 5 or 15 it might be me ;)

It usually takes us 4.5 to 5 hours.(we're in Henderson) We usually do the 15, 91 route but I loathe the 91. I think I will take the advice and try the 210 to the 57 way this August. I was just visiting So Cal last week and took the 210 and it wasn't too bad. Of course, I probably was just happy because Chick-Fil-A was off the 210. :lovestruc

I hate the drive so much........at least on the way it is happy , going home is such a drag. Any time savers or changes of scenery are so welcome , I will try the new route next trip.

On the way back you should stop in the ghosttown of Calico. We had a great time there. It's right off 15.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter