Driving through Atlanta and need input please

Goofy_Disney_Dad

Can go Grumpy on occasion too...
We are driving from Indiana and plan to stop in Macon for the night. It's about 10 hours driving time, but it will be longer as we are stopping to eat and such. I figured about 12 to 13 hours total driving.

What has me concerned is I planned to leave on a Friday later this month at about 7 or 8am. I'd imagine this wonderful plan puts me in and around Atlanta at a pretty bad time as far as rush hour is concerned.

I usually drive straight through on 75 but was looking at the maps today and wanted to get some input on those that use 285 around the west side as an option. Is it easier as far as rush hour traffic goes? Would it be worth it to use that route as opposed to using 75 straight through? I realize a different time would be better as far as traffic goes but it may not be an option at this time.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be very much appreciated as I usually fly down and haven't driven this route in quite some time.

Each time my family and I have driven along I-75 we always go through Atlanta and have never run into serious traffic problems. Now there has been the odd time when it was a bit slow, however it was nothing major that delayed us for long periods of time and etc. Plus in my Along Interstate 75 book the author claims to stay on I-75 in Atlanta and not use any other routes.

It will probably be a problem but it rarely is easy breezy (middle of the night, Sundays, Christmas Day have been good). I would definitely NOT get on 285.

Liz

I'd have to look at our log book to get better times, but we did go around on 285 rather than through ATL on 75 our last trip. We drive down from the Indianapolis area. Left around 6:45 in the am on a Saturday and were in Byron GA (just south of Macon) in time for dinner at a normal hour (around 6ish). That's with gas/restroom stops, and eating a packed meal in the car for lunch. Easy drive...and we'll probably do the same this year since we'll leave on a Saturday morning again.

Given that you are hitting the road on a Friday, though, I think you may be served well and heed the advice to stay on 75 and just stay in the HOV lanes going through the middle of ATL. Gas up before you hit ATL and not even worry about stopping on the way on through. Either way I think you'll hit traffic during the evening rush hour, but I suspect that once you are in the HOV lane you'll be moving right along all the way through.

We always drive right through Atlanta and never had any trouble even at high traffic time.

I just try to avoid rush hour and the times just before & just after a Braves game.

I just try to avoid rush hour and the times just before & just after a Braves game.

Oh shoot, I didn't think about Braves games. Thanks for bringing that up, I just looked for our trip and it figures, there's a 4:00 game the day we are driving down. We'll probably miss the traffic by a little bit though. Likely roll through around 5:00 pm.

Hmmm...I wonder if the family would be interested in stopping for a few before our hotel and watch the Braves play a game. Ha! I think that idea would get struck down pretty darn quickly.

Beware that I75 is closed just inside the TN border at Jellico due to a sinkhole. The shortest detour is 26 miles. They are building a temporary lane hoping to have 1 lane flowing again by the weekend.

The other issue to watch is the NCAA Tournament. If KY plays in the Georgia Dome on the 23-25, there will be thousands of additional cars on 75.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter