• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving straight through from WV - what time to leave?

immachesnut

Earning My Ears
We are heading to Disney Sunday and have decided to drive straight through - which hopefully won't prove to be a big mistake! We were thinking of leaving about 2 or 3 AM. I don't much care what time we get there, we do have a dinner ressie at 7:15 so as long as we arrive about 5 PM and get settle into our room, all will be good. Any suggestions on what time to leave? Thanks so much!

It really depends on what part of WV you are departing from. Parkersburg to Disney was about 14-15 hours for us. That is stopping for fuel and food only.

Wow. You are really daring to book a ressie for your day of arrival with driving straight through. The last time I drove straight through from Northern Virginia we left here at 6am and arrived around 9pm (a car accident detour in NC slowed us down considerably). By the time we arrived, I couldn't even see straight. I hobbled to the bed in our room and I felt like I was still in a moving car. LOL We just brought back food from the food court and grazed in the room before going to sleep. I hope that you have a great drive and are able to make your dinner ressie. Have fun!! :)

As another poster said, it depends where in WV you're driving from...there could be a couple hours difference. We drove it straight thru from Maryland ONCE. We left on a Fri. night around 9:00 pm after being up & working all day...We are lucky to be alive - about 5 or 6 AM it got REALLY tough to stay awake... We will only fly now but I would say you should allow at least 15 or 16 hours...you may find you want to have a longer break somewhere to walk around & shake off the sleepies.

We drove straight thru once from north central WV. It took us about 15/16 hours with only short stops. We left around midnight and got there before 4 in the afternoon. Hope this helps-- Have a safe trip!!

we drive from Buffalo and stay in Statesville, NC the first night. Last year we left Statesville by 8:45AM, arrived in WDW at 6:45 pm. That was with probably about 1 hour in stops. Good Luck!!!;)

Thanks everyone for the input! Long story short, I waited till the last minute to do stuff - chalk it up to a lesson learned (only this is typical me, why do it today when you can do it tomorrow) :lmao: I don't honestly care that much about the dinner reservation - it's at 1900 Park Fare and my husband and I are less than enthused about the food and after reading some reviews, I don't think that it is going to take away from our trip to miss it. My daughter wanted to go b/c of Prince Charming (not sure if he can be found anywhere else) but she isn't dead set on it and once she gets there (she's 4) - I doubt she'll care. My son could care less too. I hadn't ever planned on going to a park or anything so overall so long as we get there sometime tomorrow, all will be well. We don't usually stop much - even with the kids b/c I hate stopping. Luckily for my hubby I'm a major night owl and come to life about 11 PM and I like driving at night better so he and the kids can pretty much get some sleep in. We are heading out from Charleston - when I get packed, LOL! Thanks again, wish us luck!:rolleyes1

We are heading out from Charleston - when I get packed, LOL! Thanks again, wish us luck!:rolleyes1

My dad just did the reverse - driving straight through from Orlando to Chelyan, just south of Charleston. He left about 7pm and got up there around 10am, so it took him about 15 hours. He likes to drive at night also, and he prefers Saturday or Sunday night because they typically aren't working road construction then.

we drive from Buffalo and stay in Statesville, NC the first night. Last year we left Statesville by 8:45AM, arrived in WDW at 6:45 pm. That was with probably about 1 hour in stops. Good Luck!!!;)

Just an FYI for anyone else interested:

Statesville, NC to WDW = 582 miles
NC/SC line (i.e. just beyond Charlotte, NC) to WDW = 532 miles

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter