Driving south from NJ - need hotel stopover in VA

ReneeDisney

Off to Neverland.....
Help! We are driving from NJ and plan on driving in the evening just past Washington DC into Virginia and need hotel recommendation for one night stay! Thanks!!!

I'd try one of the Courtyards by Marriott in the Alexandria, VA area. If you go to www.i95exitguide.com you can find most, if not all, hotels within 1/2 mile of an I-95 exit.

You might want to consider travelling far enough past Washington in the evening so you don't have to deal with DC rush hour traffic the next morning.

Steve

Personally doing the drive the way you're saying, I'd try to get at least to Fredericksburg, but the further south the better.

Not sure what time you're planning on leaving, but the further south away from DC you can get the better. Definitely Fredericksburg or further south. Take I-295 around Richmond to avoid traffic in downtown Richmond as well.

I assume you're going straight down I-95... Whatever you do, make certain your speedometer is DEAD-ON the speedlimit before you get to Emporia... Probably one of the worst speed traps on I-95.. They will pop you for anything over the speedlimit... I set the cruise a couple of miles under the limit when we go that way just to be certain.

You might want to consider travelling far enough past Washington in the evening so you don't have to deal with DC rush hour traffic the next morning.
Steve

Great tip! THANKS!!

Personally doing the drive the way you're saying, I'd try to get at least to Fredericksburg, but the further south the better.

Another great tip- THANKS!!!

Not sure what time you're planning on leaving, but the further south away from DC you can get the better. Definitely Fredericksburg or further south. Take I-295 around Richmond to avoid traffic in downtown Richmond as well.

I assume you're going straight down I-95... Whatever you do, make certain your speedometer is DEAD-ON the speedlimit before you get to Emporia... Probably one of the worst speed traps on I-95.. They will pop you for anything over the speedlimit... I set the cruise a couple of miles under the limit when we go that way just to be certain.

Thanks for the information!

We've stayed in Fredericksburg many times. There are two exits with plenty of motels / hotels and lots of dining options in close proximity.

As a fellow new jersian from bergen county this is what I would do.

We have twin 6 yr olds and we've done this 3 times. We leave at 4 pm onto I95 , stop for a quick bite n gas up last exit in nj. Get the kids into there pj's and then continue on. This way we get past the DC area after all pm rush hour traffic. Plus now the kids start to go to sleep roughly 9 pm. We continue for another 6 or so hrs than gas up again n grab coffee. By the time the kids wake up again roughly 6 am we're already into Georgia. Gas up again n eat breakfast n arrive in disney roughly 11 . This is if you don't mind driving straight through of course. Save a day n save on hotel.

If youplan on stopping over n not going straight through I suggest leaving maybe 7 or 8 n driving 10 or so hours and stopping over in Santee S.C. this way you only have roughly another 6 hrs or so.good luck whichever you plan on doing.

We have twin 6 yr olds and we've done this 3 times. We leave at 4 pm onto I95 , stop for a quick bite n gas up last exit in nj. Get the kids into there pj's and then continue on. This way we get past the DC area after all pm rush hour traffic. Plus now the kids start to go to sleep roughly 9 pm. We continue for another 6 or so hrs than gas up again n grab coffee. By the time the kids wake up again roughly 6 am we're already into Georgia. Gas up again n eat breakfast n arrive in disney roughly 11 . This is if you don't mind driving straight through of course. Save a day n save on hotel.

If youplan on stopping over n not going straight through I suggest leaving maybe 7 or 8 n driving 10 or so hours and stopping over in Santee S.C. this way you only have roughly another 6 hrs or so.good luck whichever you plan on doing.

Leaving from Virginia on the coast, we usually drive straight through, but we have done the trip in two sections, and from where we are, we usually stop in Savannah Ga for the night. It's a little over half way but it allows for us to sleep in a little, grab a nice breakfast, then a short (3-4 hour) drive on to the World...

Bergen county is our home too! We used to drive straight thru before we had our daughter. She will be three for the trip and thought it would be better to take our time driving with an overnight stay! Thanks for your wonderful and very detailed suggestion.

I don't know if this would be around the area where you would prefer to stop, but we stayed at the Hyatt in Chester, VA, last summer on the recommendation of someone on this board. The room was beautiful and the beds extremely comfy. There is also free buffet breakfast. It was easy access back on to I-95.

I had a AAA rate which was around 89.00 plus tax.

I don't know if this would be around the area where you would prefer to stop, but we stayed at the Hyatt in Chester, VA, last summer on the recommendation of someone on this board. The room was beautiful and the beds extremely comfy. There is also free buffet breakfast. It was easy access back on to I-95.

I had a AAA rate which was around 89.00 plus tax.

That's a great idea! Thanks!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter