• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Driving SF to DL.

Seems that the 5 through LA is always crawling. We've tried a different route that has car pool lanes pretty much all the way in LA. Going from SF to DL:

1) 101 to 152; or 280 to 85 to 101 to 152 (much more scenic and can usually drive faster :rolleyes1)
2) 152 to 5
3) 5 to 405
4) 405 to 105
5) 105 to 605
6) 605 to 91
7) 91 to 5
8) you're there!

Whew! That avoids the traffic areas on 80, 205 and 5. YMMV. Basically, don't be at either end of the trip from 4-8PM. That's when the traffic is the worst IMHO.

We just spent about $130 on gas going down and back. At that cost, it's almost cheaper to fly if going solo. For multiple people, driving is cheaper...

To avoid most of the L.A. traffic, get off the 5 when you get into the north part of the San Fernando Valley and take the 210 freeway east all the way to the 57 freeway. Then you take the 57 freeway south all the way to Anaheim. From there you can either get off the Ball Road exit and drive about 5-10 minutes west on surface streets to Disneyland or stay on the 57 to the 5 north and take the 5 for about an exit to Katella.

JackTwo said:
To avoid most of the L.A. traffic, get off the 5 when you get into the north part of the San Fernando Valley and take the 210 freeway east all the way to the 57 freeway. Then you take the 57 freeway south all the way to Anaheim. From there you can either get off the Ball Road exit and drive about 5-10 minutes west on surface streets to Disneyland or stay on the 57 to the 5 north and take the 5 for about an exit to Katella.

While this avoids downtown LA traffic, the traffic on the 210 through Pasadena and Monrovia is very painful at rush hour as well. Do not think you will avoid all traffic by going this route!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

While this avoids downtown LA traffic, the traffic on the 210 through Pasadena and Monrovia is very painful at rush hour as well. Do not think you will avoid all traffic by going this route!

We do the 5 -> 210 -> 605 -> 91 EAST -> 5, and while the traffic is slow through Pasadena, we beat the other car we were traveling with (who went straight on the 5) by 35 mins. (Hit the 5/210 at 615p...) We have tried the 57 also, it was 10 min longer.

We do the 210 route unless we are hitting the 210/5 area after 830p.

I would recommend not taking 101 from Sf to LA. Split Pea Andersen's is not the restaurant it used to be. The scenery is not that much better in my opinion and traffic on I-5 can go faster.

Also, your ticker shows you're going during winter months. For this, I would avoid using 5 because sometimes snow will close down the Grapevine and you'll be forced to take an alternate route. On top of that, there are very large stretches on 5 that don't have any rest stops, gas stations, etc. When I was first starting to drive to my college, my parents didn't want me taking 5 because they were worried that if I had a flat tire, I would be harder to get to than if I was on 101. I agree with a previous post that Pismo is a great place to stop to take a break. San Luis Obispo County is a rough midway point between SF and Anaheim if you're taking 101. If you want the wonderful clam chowder without the super long line, Splash has another location in San Luis Obispo. The tradeoff is that you don't get to see the beautiful beaches when you step outside the restaurant. I would take the scenic route, even if it's 2 hours longer because interesting things to see make the drive go by quicker :)

VandVsmama said:
I would recommend not taking 101 from Sf to LA. Split Pea Andersen's is not the restaurant it used to be. The scenery is not that much better in my opinion and traffic on I-5 can go faster.

Just to clarify, there are Andersen's Split Pea restaurants on both routes (101- Buellton, 5- Santa Nella).

I find the scenery MUCH better on 101 but 5 is definitely faster. If I'm driving alone with my kids I usually take 101 unless I'm really pressed for time.

There is an In N Out burger on I-5 at the big stop right before the grapevine. Also a Jack and the Box.

The grapevine being closed to snow is pretty rare.

the long stretches between possible stops on I-5 is like 20-30 minutes at the most. Usually there is something every 10-15 minutes, assuming the flow of traffic is like it usually is (around 80mph).

At "The Big Stop" just before the Grapevine, there is a ton of different places. Taco Bell, Wendy's, In & Out, McDonalds, StarBucks, a couple of sit downs, and expensive gas. Try and fill up before you get here. The I-5 drive is very boring, and the stops are far between. But it is MUCH faster than the 101. If time is not important, and you don't mind adding 2 hours to your drive, the 101 is very pretty (heck, take the 1!) But if time is important, take the 5.

Just as an aside, I remember as a kid, our family stopping at Lost Hills on I-5. That place has a lot of the usual roadside stops - gas stations, truck stops, fast food, and short order restaurants.

Still - the name used to scare the heck out of me. We'd often get off at night, and as a kid the name just weirded me out. It sounded like we were entering the Bermuda Triangle or something where we'd never make it out.

I-5 will get you there faster, not much in way of food. Pea Soup Anderson's is our stopping place, although you could always take a short detour to Bakersfield for some Basque cuisine.

The 101 will add about 2 hours, much more scenic drive however. You'll want to stop in Santa Maria and seek out TriTip BBQ.

our tradition is stopping at the Dennys at I-5 and HWY58 (buttonwillow exit, i think). My wife hates it since she sees it as wasting a half hour that could be spent at DL/CA, haha.

Lost Hills exit is HWY46, i think. There is a Dennys there we stopped at before but its not as good as the HWY 58 Dennys and also there is lack of AT&T 3G service.

One place that just dawned on me that we always stop at, is Harris Ranch. We haven't eaten there, but we use it as a potty stop and we buy snacks at the store in the front. They have the best beef jerky!!

Edit: Whoops..didn't see page 1 before I posted. Lots of other peeps mentioned Harris Ranch too

Since there are a number of us that travel the "Stockton to LA" section of I-5, we should create of list of all the exits, their distances and what restaurants they have. Also, the quality of of the bathrooms, haha.

That way before a trip it could be printed out and you would know, when people start getting hungry, if its better to take the next exit or maybe wait for the one after it

Since there are a number of us that travel the "Stockton to LA" section of I-5, we should create of list of all the exits, their distances and what restaurants they have. Also, the quality of of the bathrooms, haha.

That way before a trip it could be printed out and you would know, when people start getting hungry, if its better to take the next exit or maybe wait for the one after it

Good idea!

Here's my tip- do not be tempted to stop at the Baja Fresh at the Jayne Ave exit (partway between Kettleman City/HWY 41 and Harris Ranch). The food is terrible (and we normally really like Baja Fresh), they've been out of key things like, say, rice on several visits and also did not provide items like applesauce and milk that normally come with a kids meal at Baja Fresh (but of course the cost was the same as other Bajas).

There is also limited seating and some of it is IN the convenience store part which is very awkward. (The Baja Fresh is in a gas station/convenience store/travel center type place).

One place that just dawned on me that we always stop at, is Harris Ranch. We haven't eaten there, but we use it as a potty stop and we buy snacks at the store in the front. They have the best beef jerky!!

Edit: Whoops..didn't see page 1 before I posted. Lots of other peeps mentioned Harris Ranch too

Harris Ranch Inn is about 3 miles from the feedlot. If I don't plan at stopping at Harris Ranch Inn, I would rather turn the air to recirculate about a good 2 miles before I get there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Ranch

Public reception

The ranch is known to travelers for the "ripe, tangy odor of cow manure", described alternately as a "horrible stench" and "a good, honest, American smell".

In reference to the large number of cattle processed at its facilities, some critics have nicknamed the ranch "Cowschwitz",......

Good idea!

Here's my tip- do not be tempted to stop at the Baja Fresh at the Jayne Ave exit (partway between Kettleman City/HWY 41 and Harris Ranch). The food is terrible (and we normally really like Baja Fresh), they've been out of key things like, say, rice on several visits and also did not provide items like applesauce and milk that normally come with a kids meal at Baja Fresh (but of course the cost was the same as other Bajas).

There is also limited seating and some of it is IN the convenience store part which is very awkward. (The Baja Fresh is in a gas station/convenience store/travel center type place).

How funny, I stopped there to use the restroom last trip and told me wife to remind me not to stop there next time since it was kind of gross.

The 5 may bet the fastest, but the 101 is definitely the most interesting and has the most places to stop. If you choose to go on the 101, you should totally stop in SLO for some food. There are multiple good places to eat there. (I just ate at Firestone Grill a few days ago and the tri tip sandwich was delicious!) There's always 17 mile drive in Carmel (out of the way, but worth it for the pictures.) Santa Barbara always has good places to eat.
I recommend leaving around 10 AM maybe? As close to the end of the morning rush hour the better.

Harris Ranch Inn is about 3 miles from the feedlot. If I don't plan at stopping at Harris Ranch Inn, I would rather turn the air to recirculate about a good 2 miles before I get there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harris_Ranch

Ack, I'm with you. Don't stop at Harris ranch. We also turn on the recirculate button on the car a couple miles before there and leave it on for about 10 miles past. The odors are amazingly noxious. :faint: We made the mistake of stopping at the In-n-Out there one year. Couldn't get out of there fast enough.

There used to be 2 spots on 5 with the fumes problem, but it seems that Harris Ranch is the only one now--at least it's the only one that bothers us now.

We just did the drive at the beginning of Feb., and it was ok, though it did really bog down around LA.

There's a great pupusa place about halfway down Rte. 5, in Buttonwillow, think it is called Titas Pupuseria (tried to post link to Yelp, but I don't have enough posts yet).

Doesn't look like much, but don't be scared off by the appearance, it's yummy (and cheap). We liked the pork & cheese pupusa, as well as the squash blossom version. There's a Starbucks right there, too, in case you need a caffeine fix.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter