Driving/Parking NYC

5lilfish

DIS Veteran
I am taking my daughter to NYC for one night. The only part of the whole trip that makes me nervous is driving in the main part of the city. We are staying in Times Square. I thought I remember hearing that there is someplace I could leave my car and get a taxi/transfer/something to our hotel. Does anyone know anything about this?

Otherwise, I guess I'll just have to manage.... Either way, we would park and then not use the car once we're there.

Also...is a Taxi the best way to get from Times Square to Madison Square Garden for a concert?

Thanks...
Jess

There are parts of NYC with free street parking. I remember walking on the Upper East Side seeing some parking spaces in residential areas. It might be possible to find a place to park and take a subway. Otherwise, garages are extremely expensive to park overnight. A good rate would be $40 a night.

Times Square to MSG would probably be easiest by subway. When there's an event it gets really tough to hail a cab. It gets crazy approaching 8 PM when most Broadway shows start. It's also only about 8 blocks if you're willing to walk.

The 1/2/3 subways go one stop from Times Square/42nd to Penn Station/34th. MSG was built over Penn Station.

If it's a nice night, you can walk. If it's cold, take a cab or just dress really warmly, it's not that far.

As for driving, have a good idea of where you're going, if possible, because there's not a lot of leeway for lane changes, etc. - other drivers are impatient and aggressive.

Have you considered taking Amtrak instead of driving?

I have considered Amtrak. In many ways, that would be the best option. It's just that our schedule is tight. I can't afford to be delayed in either direction. I've never travelled by Amtrak before. I'm concerned about getting delayed.

We are coming from Buffalo. I actually just posted a separate thread asking about Amtrak.

I don't know what the Metro North trains are.

Thank you...
Jess

They are trains that run from other places like Poughkeepsie. Cheaper than Amtrak but I'm sure they don't run that far.

There is a direct train from Southeast, NY (off I-84) that goes all the way to Grand Central, I think it's relatively cheap to park overnight there, and you take the shuttle from Grand Central right to Times Square. Or, check groupon, sometimes they have Parking in NYC groupons that will make parking in NYC cheaper. Otherwise, it is a bit of a pain to find street parking in that area.

When are you coming in? You can't park on the streets right now, even when the hours are free at night because we have so many cars trapped behind walls of ICE that the snow plows haven't been able to move and the car owners can't move the ice themselves to dig their cars out.

There is a parking garage on 42nd St at about 9th Ave you can park at. Sometimes they have a Groupon discount. From there you can walk to your hotel or take a subway ride one stop to Madison Sq Garden or take a cab. Or as a PP mentioned, just walk. Do not drive there from Times Square, it's not worth it and parking is so much worse around The Garden. It's so much seedier down there - yes, even more so than Times Square. :p

My hotel has parking. That isn't a problem. I'm just trying to avoid driving into the city at all. I was wondering if there was someplace outside the main city that I could legally and safely pay to leave my car and then take a taxi to my hotel.

Yes, there are parking lots called "Park & Ride." They are specifically for commuters coming in from NJ to leave their cars IN Jersey and take the bus or trains in.

There is one that is near the Secaucus Harmon Meadows plaza. You'd take NJ Bus #320 there and back from the Port Authority bus terminal at 8th Ave & 42nd St. It's about $3.50 each way. 15 minutes right in & out of the city, the first stop on the bus. It stops right IN the parking lot. You can read it here on the Bus schedule. They call it North Bergen Park & Ride.You can Google for more specific directions to the Park & Ride.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0320.pdf

You don't want to be trying to take a taxi from NY to NJ or back. You are going across state lines. As soon as you do that, the fare is doubled, and they charge per person (in NJ,) NOT per trip. So EVERYONE pays double the meter. AND you have to pay the bridge or tunnel toll which is about $16 now.

There is a concert I want to go to later in the year in NJ. The buses stop sometime after midnight in that area, and I expect if I want to stay till the end of the concert at 2am, I can expect to pay probably $45 just to take a NJ taxi the 5 miles I need to get home in NYC from the venue. :headache:

Last edited:
Have fun. The thread made me laugh though. One of my best smile inducing memories was travelling down 5th Avenue in a beat up 98 Corolla with roll down windows, laughing. What a gorgeous city, jealous. Have a wonderful time.

I just wanted to say I took the Amtrak this week, I am actually just home.. Not from Buffalo, but Montreal, Just my Daughter and I.. WONDERFUL experience... We were early all the way around... Long ride, but went well.. We stayed at the EDison, either walked to MSG (very close), Broadway,or took the SUBWAY everywhere.. I wouldn't try parking anywhere... Walls of ice and snow, sorry that is funny coming from my home town, but it isn't being cleaned up that is for sure, and there really is NO parking...
I would walk the 7 or 8 streets, we did it.. Never felt afraid, but we come from a big city as well.. Whatever you decide, enjoy.

Have fun. The thread made me laugh though. One of my best smile inducing memories was travelling down 5th Avenue in a beat up 98 Corolla with roll down windows, laughing. What a gorgeous city, jealous. Have a wonderful time.
I remember being newly pregnant in NYC and craving a tuna sandwich, pickle and chips for the ride home. Stopped at a deli on the way out of the city but freaked out when I realized, as we were almost to the highway, that THERE WAS NO PICKLE!! :eek: Had to turn around in traffic and go to a totally different deli to get one! :lmao: Good times!

I would take the train down. Driving will be so much of a hassle, even if you park outside the city and take a bus/commuter train/taxi in. I live right outside NYC in NJ and lived in Bklyn for over 20 years. I rarely, if ever, drive into the city and only if I absolutely have to. There is so much traffic and parking is so expensive. It's stressful. Public transportation is so much easier and cheaper. Getting from Grand Central Station or Penn Station is super easy via walking, subway or cab.

I've taken the train to/from Buffalo to NYC- nice easy ride! I wouldn't even bother about taking a cab from MSG to Times Square- its a quick walk. We typically bypass trying to get a NYC cab if they are short in supply and just use Uber. When the kids go in for concerts or shows they usually just use the uber app to get a ride back to Penn because there are thousands of people trying to get cabs and they find it easier to use Uber.

I don't mind driving in NYC, but I've been doing it since I hit my license. Traffic doesn't move that fast. I also feel comfortable driving in Philadelphia and Chicago, having done it many times. However, the Amtrak train is a good alternative. We took it the last time we went to Boston, and it was relaxing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter